Any experiences PAL?

spud67

I am planning a return trip to Thailand in September. In the past, my holidays have lined up with the Air France/KLM Summer Business Class sale and I have been able to travel to SE Asia return from Canada for around $3,000 (90,000 baht). This year no such luck. However, Philippines Airlines has a similar price as regular price and the flight times work good for me. BUT... I have no idea as to the quality of the airline. I am looking for anybody's experiences, in particular anybody who has flown in their trans-pacific Business Class in the last 2 years.

Thanks

I flew PAL twice 3 years ago US to Manila then onto Bangkok. The older 747-400's were the filthiest aircraft I have ever flown and smelled musty as well. The food was very poor, the seatback entertainment system on the one aircraft that had it was non-functional as was the single large screen in the other aircraft.

Not pleasant flights.

PAL was recently re-certified to fly into and out of the US after having been threatened with suspension unless a whole raft of deficiencies were corrected.

One hopes the corrections will make a difference. I have no idea if aircraft cleanliness was part of the certification criteria.

PAL have also just been cleared to fly MNL-LHR so it would appear they have overcome their previous issues. With these new routes, I believe they are using the 777-300, as do most long haul airlines.

All I can say as that I have used them a few tines on short haul flights and no problems. In fact they are the sole users of T 2 in Manila which is a blessing however small believe me

Thanks for the comments.

There is no point in booking business class if it's not comfortable. PAL's press releases mention they are refurbishing their 777ERs but I have no idea if they have refurbished the aircraft that fly to Canada in particular. I have a few more months to monitor airline prices. The long oceanic flight kills me in economy so I'm hoping for business class under THB100,000 but will also go up to THB120,000. If nothing else I can consider Air Canada Premium Economy to HKG or Tokyo and then take a regional into BKK.

I fly Delta out of the US cities (Seattle, Detriot, Minneapolis/St Paul, New York) business class in the 100000 baht price range (booking from BBK-USA-BBK).

Delta have upgrade their cabins and now the US-Tokyo flights are single cubicles that allow the seat to lay flat.

PAL is not bad except the food unless you actually like Philipino food, but if you have a stopover in Manila to change planes allow enough time because to transfer planes you have to leave the terminal, have your passport etc. checked again and go through X-ray again even though you just got off a plane!

I appreciate everyone's comments. I have not written off PAL but I am looking closely at EVA. I had no idea they flew to Canada (YVR and YYZ). The connection in Taipei is quick and it may be the most direct route from here (least amount of actual time in the air). The first leg from Toronto is almost 16 hours but the second leg is mercifully short.

>>Whizbang; Interesting prices you are getting. I've been checking the American carriers with little luck. I have tried prices from Canadian and American cities with little difference. I just tried another search with AA originating in NYC (SFO was the same). As you can see from the screen capture the price is a little high. Maybe it's too early.

post-170438-0-72636800-1397608321_thumb.

I know the loonie is getting an a$$kicking from the greenback but it's still .90 on the dollar.

We were on the East coast and stopped flying the pacific route years ago. Depending where you are even Air Transat J class to London or Paris then a decent airline with a real business class product is the way I'd go. If you're in Toronto the day trip flight to London on Air Canada is great, not sure about connections as it arrives late at night but we always spend a few days in the UK.

My sister flew Qatar from Montreal to BKK and I believe it was just over 4K sign up for their email sale, watch some of the flights as they only fly a few days from YUL and try to route you via the US.

We flew PAL from BKK to MNL a few times in J and they were awful especially the food, no lounge in BKK and the lounge in MNL is a joke. They have to be the loudest passengers in the sky as they all seem to travel in large groups.

• Like 1

If JFK is an option, I just flew Cathay-Pacific; JFK-HKG-BKK. Great flight using the polar route, 14 1/2 hours to HKG...one hour connection to BKK (they had a rep at the arrivals gate to expedite our making the connection) and best of all, only a 2 1/2 hour flight to BKK....so much nicer than 5 to 7 hours going through TPE or NRT.

Service on Cathay is great, food is good...high marks all around.

• Like 1

Ahhh patience. Air France/KLM just sent out a Flash Sale for all classes from N. America to Asia for travel through the fall. Booking time limit is in 5 days. Business class from $3500CAD R/T from Toronto and Montreal to various points in Asia including BKK.

Air France/KLM can be variable to put it gently...certainly not the flag bearers of understated elegance they once were. I have had nice flights (BKK-CDG) and some not so nice; KLM: BKK-AMS, really disappointing.