A morbid subject - need some advice please

KIWIBATCH

There is not always an investigation, only if there is reason to suspect foul play, obviously not relevant here. But the person's Embassy must be notified and the body will not be released without the Embassy's authorization.

The majority of Thais die in government hospitals -- by no means just the poor -- and pain medication is given, though ensuring it is enough may require that family be in attendance. It is possible to pay a little extra and get a private room, which will faciltate that as well as better nurse:patient ratio - no need to be in a ward. It is a mistake to think only poor Thais go to government hospitals, they are used by the middle and upper class as well. So I would not rule out government hospitals on those grounds....the BIG issue with being in any hospital - government or private -- (aside from patient preference, which is often to be at home in familiar surroundings) is the risk of being subjected to useless and unnecessary measures that prolong the death, as has been discussed elsewhere in this thread.

Yes, I would suggest contacting the family, which it appears the OP has done and I would recommend doing in other situations, even when it seems there has been an estrangement in the family. Sometimes there can be deathbed reconciliations that are truly important for both the dying and those left behind. (Although there doesn't seem to be estrangement in this case, just an 86 year old man who didn't want to give up life in Thailand)

As for the thought that it's always best for the dying to be repatriated. Well, yes medical repatriations on a stretcher can be done, but often they are both expensive and can be nothing more than a source of torture that creates agony. I've seen some good Happy Endings in Chiang Mai when a dying person's family came here and stayed by his side at a hospital where the family didn't have to worry about housekeeping or keeping him clean. Instead they only had to act as his advocate to keep him out of pain and comfortable, play his favorite music, plan the memorial service with him, talk about their childhood together and whatever happened to so-and-so. Much better way to spend those last few days instead of organizing and implementing an air ambulance stretcher repatriation.

• Like 2

If you read the thread you will see that the family has only now been informed of the situation.

It is also not clear that OP is the one paying. He arranged for it, but possible the patient is paying (in fact that was my assumption). We don't know and anyhow this is not the issue at hand.