Phuket frequent visitor looking to buy tuk tuk....can anyone help?

Davus

Hi all.

First time poster here. :)

My wife and I visit Phuket every year or so, and have done so since our honeymoon in 2000. We love the place, and always stay in the heart of patong.

Over the last few trips, I have been secretly toying with the notion of buying a Phuket tuk tuk, to take home to Australia with me. This trip I have cemented the idea and am now active in my endeavor.

However I'm having trouble getting traction, and wondering if anyone out there can help with pointing me in the right direction to buy one? I'm not looking to buy brand new.....I have a soft spot for the second hand ones running around Phuket.

I have spoken to a few people and have been given a few loose leads, but nothing really strong.

I was given the name "Prab keesin", who I believe is the son of the Phuket mayor pian keesin, and president of the Phuket tuk tuk association. However after googling him I'm not really sure if this is a viable option. He appears to be the managing director of a company called "pisona", with around 1000 employees under him. I'm sure he has more important things to do than invest time in a one off dude looking to buy and old car (and rightly so). I have pretty much discounted this option.

I also spoke to a few tuk tuk drivers. Most of them don't understand what I'm trying to do and want to sell you the license as well. One of them did follow what I was trying to do and suggested I buy a hijet from Bangkok, then send it to Phuket get it "fitted out" as a Phuket tuk tuk, then ship it to Australia. This got me thinking......

It looks as though I can import a hijet quite cheaply from japan to Australia. I was then thinking I could buy all the "bits" from Phuket to fit it out and have them sent to Australia and do the work there ( I restore cars as a hobby in Australia).....but again I've hit a brick wall trying to find somewhere to buy the parts in Phuket (canopy, seats, etc...)...

I am assuming the fit outs and parts are available from Phuket????.....I could be wrong there.

I realise registration will be a hurdle in Australia, but I'm focussing on getting it to Australia first....I may not even register it.....but more so have it as a talking point :).

So, can anyone at all help me with any information or leads that may help my plight?. My ideal would be to buy and active Phuket tuk tuk to import......it's a little more "authentic".

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thanks eezergood.

I might not have made myself clear in my post. It is specifically the red diahatsu hijet "tuk tuk" I'm wanting to buy....

I know the tuk tuk is bkk are different to the Phuket "tuk tuk".

Pm coming your way :)

Dave

Sorry ask one of the tuk tuk.....what?

There seems to be a deleted word in your post?

As mentioned in my post I have spoken to a few if the drivers......but not a huge amount of traction.

Dave

Thanks very much for that.

Is that to say I go past the caltex?, or is the body shop at the caltex itself?.

Would you happen to know if they still make them (and the seats etc?)......and what the place might be called.

Thanks very much.

Dave

Thanks so much guys. All this help is really fantastic.

I have also expressed my questions on another forum (apologies to those that are members of both)....and there has been mention that as an Australian, I am unable to buy a car off a Thai without a visa. Can anyone confirm / deny?

Obviously in Australia, this process is quite different.

Regards

Dave.

Sorry ask one of the tuk tuk.....what?

There seems to be a deleted word in your post?

As mentioned in my post I have spoken to a few if the drivers......but not a huge amount of traction.

Dave

Rhymes with SHANKERS and is akin to masturbation!

If you want to legally transfer the registration book to your name you will need a Certificate of Residence from Immigration. Should really be no problem having Immigration supply subject to you supplying proof of address and paying 500 baht.

Don't pay more then 300 Baht or non if all as some people insist.

Over the hill from patong, Straight thru the traffic lights at the caltex garage

about 100 metres or so past the lights on the left hand side there was a panel shop

that made tuk tuk bodies

Hi Ned,

Just trying to gauge roughly where the shop is (if it is still there?)......

Does this picture below accurately reflect where you are talking about?. There also appears to be a supercheap near that location.

topatong.jpg

Dave

Edited by Davus

Over the hill from patong, Straight thru the traffic lights at the caltex garage

about 100 metres or so past the lights on the left hand side there was a panel shop

that made tuk tuk bodies

Hi Ned,

Just trying to gauge roughly where the shop is (if it is still there?)......

Does this picture below accurately reflect where you are talking about?. There also appears to be a supercheap near that location.

topatong.jpg

Dave

Looks about the right location but have not been there for 2 years so may not be there anymore

I realize that without the relevant ADR approvals that's correct. I cannot carry pax in the back.

Dept of infrastructure and engineers have been engaged to see if there is any way around this. Ie structural mods to include seat belts, etc.

Long shot, but I'm certainly giving it a go.

I realize that without the relevant ADR approvals that's correct. I cannot carry pax in the back.

Dept of infrastructure and engineers have been engaged to see if there is any way around this. Ie structural mods to include seat belts, etc.

Long shot, but I'm certainly giving it a go.

It cannot be modified to meet Australian passenger safety standards

Best of luck but you are wasting your money trying to get a approval

Its basically just a cheap pickup and you cannot carry passengers in the rear of a pickup or truck in

Australia on public roads, only on private property

Thanks very much ned for the advice Ned.

You are more than likely correct about the passengers in the rear, no doubt. If I can just get it on the road with restrictions of nit carrying people in the back, I'm happy with that.

My cousin recently registered a kombi with a home made seat in the rear. The only thing he needed to do for compliance and registration was affix a sticker to the rear seat saying "this is not a seat". It is now a daily driver.

Anyway, still a lot of homework to do yet before any money is invested.

Dave