Former police volunteer tests positive for drugs, case goes to Phuket public prosecutor

webfact

Former police volunteer tests positive for drugs, case goes to Phuket public prosecutor
Phuket Gazette

1_2014415144323265_cJkTziNdszyQflYivbUhx
Former police volunteer Garry Halpin tested positive for drugs. His case has been sent to the public prosecutor. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Drug test results came back positive for former tourist police volunteer Garry Halpin, who has spent the last four months in Phuket Provincial Prison.

The drug test results were the last piece of evidence the police needed before sending the case to court (story here). It has now been handed over to the public prosecutor.

“The prosecutor will formally charge Mr Halpin with possession of a Category 1 drug with intent to sell,” Chalong Deputy Superintendent Jumroon Plaidoung told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

According to Narcotics Act BE 2522, Section 15, anyone found with more than 1.5 grams of an illegal drug can be charged with intent to sell, said Lt Col Jumroon.

When Mr Halpin was arrested on December 14 in Chalong, he was in possession of 18 grams of ya ice (crystal methamphetamine), drug paraphernalia, a digital scale and cough syrup (story here).

Mr Halpin was denied bail by police on December 16 (story here) and by the court in late January (story here).

— Saran Mitrarat

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Former-police-volunteer-tests-positive-drugs-case/29147

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-15

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was he legally denied bail? Yes someone or an entity have it out for him and that was why it was denied, but I can't see the government's case for refusing bail that he was a flight risk, seeing as they certainly have his passport and he's a very high profile arrest. Bang him up, but at least allow the guy due procedure as certainly happpens with the local perps that get pinched for dealing.

• Like 1

Think he's probably getting nailed hard , and right so .

He had a public function as a touristpolice volunteer , he should be a helpinghand and and example for society .

If he is innocent and its a setup I feel very sorry for him ,

Think he's probably getting nailed hard , and right so .

He had a public function as a touristpolice volunteer , he should be a helpinghand and and example for society .

If he is innocent and its a setup I feel very sorry for him ,

Can you provide the evidence to prove his innocence ? If so, I think you should let the prosecutor know.

Really, it's just another example of a wannabe who deserves what he gets.

totster :)

Very tall guy.

How sad to see addicts get caught and charged with dealing. Addicts should get help, not 25 years in a Thai jail.

Who & where does it say addict? If I took a urine sample now, no doubt, traces of alcohol would be found, due to the 2 beers 1 consumed last nght. I am harldy an alcoholic though......

but junkies dont need 25 yrs in gaol

He was denied bail because he is a flight risk. Unlike Thai offenders, he has a haven to run to. The prospect of a lengthy stay in a Thai prison as a farang would give him great incentive to run.

It's not hard to run without a passport, or even to buy one, from Phuket. That British murderer proved this.

This character won't get much sympathy from many of the tourists or local expats he has shaken down over the years.

Edited by Old Croc

Why was he legally denied bail? Yes someone or an entity have it out for him and that was why it was denied, but I can't see the government's case for refusing bail that he was a flight risk, seeing as they certainly have his passport and he's a very high profile arrest. Bang him up, but at least allow the guy due procedure as certainly happpens with the local perps that get pinched for dealing.

...hard to understand how the laws are applied here...the TV star who murdered his business partner got bail....maybe it was the amount in question..

If this is the man I think it is, I met him once at Chalong Police station while I was filing a complaint. He is a New Zealander, a very pleasant and helpful fellow who spoke fluent Thai and knew the ropes alright. I imagine there is more to Nip's posting above than to any of the others here.

• Like 2

If this is the man I think it is, I met him once at Chalong Police station while I was filing a complaint. He is a New Zealander, a very pleasant and helpful fellow who spoke fluent Thai and knew the ropes alright. I imagine there is more to Nip's posting above than to any of the others here.

You were lucky you were making the complaint and weren't the subject of one.

I know of someone who was in this position and this character asked for 30,000 for himself just to help with negotiations.

Perhaps you should read some of the earlier threads about him to get a more balanced viewpoint of his character.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

He was denied bail because he is a flight risk. Unlike Thai offenders, he has a haven to run to. The prospect of a lengthy stay in a Thai prison as a farang would give him great incentive to run.

It's not hard to run without a passport, or even to buy one, from Phuket. That British murderer proved this.

This character won't get much sympathy from many of the tourists or local expats he has shaken down over the years.

Based on this logic, wouldn't every foreigner arrested be considered a flight risk and not allowed bail? I don't know this guy or what he did to piss people off, I just think he's getting "a little" extra punishment than the average foreigner arrested based on reading about foreigners getting caught with drugs on the island and allowed bail.

Or as my Norwegian great-grandmother would say "Oh my, what a high man".

To the person asking why you referred to him as an addict, crystal meth isn't really a recreational drug. I suspect most people who sell it do it so they can get their own supply for less or for free.

Being a volunteer cop will work agsinst him when it comes time for sentencing though.

Very tall guy.

How sad to see addicts get caught and charged with dealing. Addicts should get help, not 25 years in a Thai jail.

Based on this logic, wouldn't every foreigner arrested be considered a flight risk and not allowed bail? I don't know this guy or what he did to piss people off, I just think he's getting "a little" extra punishment than the average foreigner arrested based on reading about foreigners getting caught with drugs on the island and allowed bail.

You're right.

If I ever found myself in trouble I would be looking for fairness with bail conditions so I could make the run for the border!

However, for those reasons, I can understand why it happens this way.

If you read my above post properly, you'll see I didn't endorse the unfair policy, just ventured my opinion as to why it is so.

My last sentence was to express my thoughts that there are a lot of people who won't champion the fight against this inequality on this fellow's behalf.

thai's get bail because they have ties to the community, Farangs seldom do unless their working /have wifes/kids/cars etc etc.

Gary and Rell will have lots to talk about inside togeather,

Edited by phuketrichard

This bloke must have seriously pissed some people off. Still can't understand how it takes 4 months to process his drug test though, unless I am misreading ?

Indeed. Halpin has unquestionably pissed off the Royal Thai Police Farce in Phuket and was not allowed back on the streets because liberated he can blow the corrupt Phuket police and lawyers playhouse down. Garry Halpin has all the inside knowledge not just to expose the rampant corruption in Chalong police station but within the entire legal system on the island. What is going on in Phuket must be exposed but I doubt Halpin will get a chance.

I am absolutely sure you are correct. It is hard to get justice when crimes are committed by police around the world as the blue/brown

line closes ranks. One can only hope he serves the maximum sentence for committing his offence (if guilty) as he was in a position

of trust. (Much the same as police want criminals who assault police to receive) After serving his sentence I wish him the best of luck

in writing an expose on the police/justice system he was involved in while he was a police volunteer on the island. It will make a great read.

You're kidding right...as if Thai have no place to run:

Where is the Criminal Monk?

Where is the Red Bull heir who killed the cop?

Where is the couple that tortured the burmese girl by pouring boiling water over her?

You want me to continue on with the list?

Hiding inside Thailand where they can be found eventually when they do something stupid.

Only the super rich Thais can hide elsewhere in the world, but Thai law treats them differently anyway.

Edited by Old Croc