25,000 Prisoners To Be Released On Hm's Celebration

george

25,000 prisoners to be released on HM's celebration

BANGKOK: -- About 25,000 prisoners will be granted a royal pardon and released to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of HM the King's Accession to the Throne, the Corrections Department announced Thursday.

Corrections Department Director-General Nathee Chitsawang said the first batch of 1,660 inmates would be released at 1.30 pm Friday at Klong Prem Prison. Most of them are convicts in petty crimes with less than a year to serve, or inmates who are ill, maimed or old.

The rest of the inmates would be gradually released later, Nathee said.

-- The Nation 2006-06-08

BANGKOK: -- About 25,000 prisoners will be granted a royal pardon and released to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of HM the King's Accession to the Throne, the Corrections Department announced Thursday.

Corrections Department Director-General Nathee Chitsawang said the first batch of 1,660 inmates would be released at 1.30 pm Friday at Klong Prem Prison. Most of them are convicts in petty crimes with less than a year to serve, or inmates who are ill, maimed or old.

-- The Nation 2006-06-08

25,000 criminals back on the streets again.....Not good for the Toxin crackdown machine.

...I suppose it saves on building new prisons.

This has been done before. right? So, was there a surge in crime after it happened? Why so many?

Hi

Doe's anyone know what the total jail population of Thailand is?

TBWG :o

This has been done before. right? So, was there a surge in crime after it happened? Why so many?

Simple arithmetic.

They get a 5 or 10% discount for each anniversary of the King and Queen.

25K hit it lucky this time.

A bit like a lottery!! :D Only more predictable.

The Kanchaburi murderer will be out soon. :o

Edited by astral

I always though the King was just a revered figure head of the country? It is a surprise that he has the power to release (err, pardon) convicted criminals. It is a surprise he has any powers at all.

Such a shame that so many are being released. It sort of blemishes the Royal Majesty's special day.

Edited by Gumballl

I seriously hope my ex from 3 years ago isn't released.

Then again, I've heard she's in foreign pastures new.

All this will mean is that some people with BIG chips on their shoulders get out.

I appreciate the King's amnesty etc, but surely there must be some control.

What is/are they?

I seriously hope my ex from 3 years ago isn't released.

Then again, I've heard she's in foreign pastures new.

All this will mean is that some people with BIG chips on their shoulders get out.

I appreciate the King's amnesty etc, but surely there must be some control.

What is/are they?

The same 'control' as there is for prisoners who are released after serving their full sentence, I should imagine... none?

What type of control did you have in mind?

Btw, how could your "ex from 3 years ago" be released if "she's in foreign pastures new"? :o

Hi

I recall reading that it is in excess of 250,000, which would mean that c.10% are to be released... :D

If these guys deserve to be let out why on earth wouldnt they be let out anyway - even if it wasn't His majesty the kings coronatin anniversary? Either these people need to be in prison or dont, whichever it is they should make their minds up.

If these guys deserve to be let out why on earth wouldnt they be let out anyway - even if it wasn't His majesty the kings coronatin anniversary?

Either these people need to be in prison or dont, whichever it is they should make their minds up.

I don't see your point.

These are people nearing the end of their sentences!

Most penal systems give some kind of remission, possibly for good behaviour.

Even people serving Life Sentences may be released on parole.

The Thai system is just another way of doing the same thing.

-- The Nation 2006-06-08

People with less than a year left on their sentences ... the ill ... the maimed ... the old .....

I doubt there's gonne be a big run up on crimes committed by crippled old folks breaking into houses .... so relax guys! Tkae some joy in the kindness of the King and on this special day!

Hi

I recall reading that it is in excess of 250,000, which would mean that c.10% are to be released... :D

The prison population has been dropping steadily from a peak of 250,000 in 2001 to around 165,000 before today. As 25% of the inmates are on remand the 25,000 release is quite a high percentage! Main reason for so many releases is that the prison system only has capacity for just over 110,000. :D