FedEx Screwed Again

luudee

Again, I have been had by a shipper who used FedEx.

Now they are doubling the duty and import charges. Attached is

the customs form they sent me. They want I pay 3,767 Baht Duty

and Vat PLUS 1200 + 200 baht FedEx charges.

My Calculations show it should be:

Total Value in baht (323.98 USD x 32.4329): 10,507.61 Baht

Duty (10%): 1,050,76 Baht

Vat (7%): 809.08 Baht

Total Duty and Vat: 1,859,84 Baht

(Plus the fedex charges obviously).

This is confirmed by http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Is there a consumer protection agency I can bring this to ?

I am tired of being screwed by FedEx. This is exactly what

they are doing.

Attached is the customs for from FedEx (with my personal

information removed). It makes for a funny reading.

Incompetence at it best !!!

luudee

post-81891-0-43177500-1397633031_thumb.j

I don't think that dutycalculator.com is the final authority about your duty owed. Must be some other more local source of dutiable items & duty owed? Some members know this, not me because I haven't imported anything in many years. I thought you'd learned your lesson about FedEx already?

Some items are charged at around 30%, I know that, 'cause those many years ago I had to pay it for something or another.

I had a friend complain yesterday about fedex, something about they needed to see a copy of his passport before the package could be sent to thaialnd. He is away for songran.

I had a power bank (battery) sent from japan with UPS 2 weeks ago, no import tax or vat charged. I was shocked really, I find ems seems to be the lowest for import tax but they could not send my last package with ems because it was a battery.

One time I was summoned to pick up an ems air package at lam chabang port to pay duty on a printer though.

Thai customs website gives some examples of import taxes, both have more than the 2 things you'd expected, e.g.;

• Import duty

=

60 %

• Special duty

=

20 % of import duty

• Interior tax

=

10 % of excise tax

• Excise tax

=

3 %

• VAT

=

7 %

ok, so I had a very nice email exchange with FedEx, their reps are usually

are quite good in spoken and written English.

I Still don't understand what the "excise duty" is ...

But they say it is imposed on batteries (as well as some other items).

Duty (10%): 1,050,76 Baht

Excise Duty:~1.500

Vat (7%): ~ 1000,00 Baht (CIF + Duty + Excise duty)

about 3550, so that's very close to what they came up with, phew ....

OK, so I guess I overreacted ... sorry smile.png

Thanks for all replies !!!

luudee

These charges are not imposed by FedEx but Thai customs. They are just collecting it for them...the money doesn't go to FedEx.

Next time declare the goods "commercial samples" or "books," which have no import or excise taxes.

"These charges are not imposed by FedEx but Thai customs."

Not exactly.

FedEx and UPS and DHL act as overly enthusiastic agents for Thai customs. Many things that pass through customs with no levy charged when using the post office, will be charged by the courier services based on their calculations. Thai Customs, as far as I know, do not refuse any of the money collected on their behalf.

In some cases ... for example when buying a Kindle from Amazon, or an Apple product shipped from Singapore... they collect the customs duty when you pay for the item and Amazon will refund any over payment. The one thing I bought from Apple that was shipped directly to me, I did not receive any refund. I've never heard of FedEx or UPS or DHL refunding any over-charge, but it's possible.

Generally speaking, if possible, avoid using any of the couriers when having things shipped here and avoid using the international shipping "assistance" offered to sellers on eBay.

If you have your things sent via the post office, you MAY indeed pay some customs duty. If you ship with any of the helpful couriers, you WILL pay and at the highest possible rate.

• Like 1

These charges are not imposed by FedEx but Thai customs. They are just collecting it for them...the money doesn't go to FedEx.

Next time declare the goods "commercial samples" or "books," which have no import or excise taxes.

The 1200 + 200 baht ARE FedEx charges. That's what FedEx charges for the clearance process.

I've been through this recently with makeup sent by FedEx, which attracts 30% Duty. Never again!

Many things that pass through customs with no levy charged when using the post office, will be charged by the courier services based on their calculations. Thai Customs, as far as I know, do not refuse any of the money collected on their behalf.

That's only because articles sent through regular post are picked out at random by customs inspectors and most get through without being inspected. ALL parcels sent by FedEx go through customs. FedEx makes a lot of money out of this by charging their 1200 ++ service charge for every parcel, no matter how big or small... and because FedEx clearance agents are doing the footwork, Customs gets every single baht they are legally owed on every parcel.

I believe they also charge VAT on the shipping costs.

• Like 2

Many things that pass through customs with no levy charged when using the post office, will be charged by the courier services based on their calculations. Thai Customs, as far as I know, do not refuse any of the money collected on their behalf.

That's only because articles sent through regular post are picked out at random by customs inspectors and most get through without being inspected. ALL parcels sent by FedEx go through customs. FedEx makes a lot of money out of this by charging their 1200 ++ service charge for every parcel, no matter how big or small... and because FedEx clearance agents are doing the footwork, Customs gets every single baht they are legally owed on every parcel.

Not true I received a wireless alarm from China in 2013 via FedEx and only paid duty and vat on the declared amount.

Not true I received a wireless alarm from China in 2013 via FedEx and only paid duty and vat on the declared amount.

Who said anything different? What is not true? Of course they charge duty and vat on a declared amount.

The problem is that not all shippers will put false values on items shipped and doing so is against the law, so there's always a risk. If they don't believe your declared value they will deem the value and charge you on that.

Edited by tropo

This is not true "FedEx makes a lot of money out of this by charging their 1200 ++ service charge for every parcel, no matter how big or small"

It certainly is true. We already have 2 examples on this thread - mine and OPs. We paid the same clearance fees. Would you like me to post my invoice to prove it?

You should make up your mind what you're saying "not true" to, because in your other post you were talking about paying customs on a declared value, which is irrelevant here - i.e. no one is discussing declared shipment value. We're discussing clearance fees and customs fees and taxes.

I've been through this recently with makeup sent by FedEx, which attracts 30% Duty. Never again!

I always knew there was something slightly different about you, tropo.

If you only knew how much I spend on makeup. It's an expensive hobby. I have a friend bringing over a shit load next month as I'm tired of paying 30% duty on it. Mac lipsticks are my favourite.

• Like 1

This is not true "FedEx makes a lot of money out of this by charging their 1200 ++ service charge for every parcel, no matter how big or small"

It certainly is true. We already have 2 examples on this thread - mine and OPs. We paid the same clearance fees. Would you like me to post my invoice to prove it?

You should make up your mind what you're saying "not true" to, because in your other post you were talking about paying customs on a declared value, which is irrelevant here - i.e. no one is discussing declared shipment value. We're discussing clearance fees and customs fees and taxes.

Maybe english is not your first langauge. Maybe you should say fedex charges you and the op 1200++ service on every parcel. Like i said they never charged me the fee.

The 1200 + 200 baht ARE FedEx charges. That's what FedEx charges for the clearance process.

When I was living in Singapore in 2012 I had an Iphone fedexed from the US and they tried to whack on extra charges which I refused to pay. They kept sending threatening letters which I ignored.

Maybe english is not your first langauge. Maybe you should say fedex charges you and the op 1200++ service on every parcel. Like i said they never charged me the fee.

Don't blame me for your lack of comprehension. I suggest you go back and read it all again.

When I was living in Singapore in 2012 I had an Iphone fedexed from the US and they tried to whack on extra charges which I refused to pay. They kept sending threatening letters which I ignored.

Did you get the iPhone? Did you just grab it from the deliverer and tell him where to go? All my FedEx deliveries (2) required payment to the delivery man.

Did you get the iPhone? Did you just grab it from the deliverer and tell him where to go? All my FedEx deliveries (2) required payment to the delivery man.

No it was stuffed in my letter box so I did get the iphone along with an extra bogus charge of over 100 dollars which as I said before I never paid.

No it was stuffed in my letter box so I did get the iphone along with an extra bogus charge of over 100 dollars which as I said before I never paid.

I thought a FedEx delivery would require a signature?

If you only knew how much I spend on makeup. It's an expensive hobby. I have a friend bringing over a shit load next month as I'm tired of paying 30% duty on it. Mac lipsticks are my favourite.

Mac lipsticks are my favourite.

Sure you're posting in the right forum ?

Mac lipsticks are my favourite.

Sure you're posting in the right forum ?

Talk about a lame attempt at humour. Most people know I'm married.

I FedEx'd a batch of Mac lipsticks from the US... which was a big mistake as you can buy them for only 810 baht each at Central. The US price is about 550 baht including 7% US tax. Mac don't ship directly to Thailand, so you're going to have to use a US mailbox, or buy on eBay.

Now if you want Urban Decay, then you're going to have to import as they don't sell it in Thailand. May I recommend a nice eye shadow or bronzer for you?

....Or if you're looking for a really good bargain, iHerb has a good range of ELF makeup. They only charge $4 to post to Thailand and there's a good chance your order will bypass customs.

Edited by tropo

I thought a FedEx delivery would require a signature?

It might have been signed by the concierge at reception as I was staying in a fancy condo in Singapore at the time and they then shoved it into my letter box.