Granite worktops

DD13

Hi Folks

I know that there are many places selling Granite worktops

Can anyone recommend somewhere with a good selection at reasonable prices ?

Also an idea of price would be helpful

Many thanks

A great selection, but maybe not the cheapest, is Boonthavorn. Near the flyover to BKK. Another place I've heard of that's cheap is just past the floating market as you are heading towards Bang Saray. Past the intersection after the floating market and then a few hundred meters on your left.

It may not be close or convenient for you but the granite place on the left hand side of Sukhumvit going south, just before the road drops down to the Hue Yai traffic lights cut their own granite from big rocks out back and are maybe the biggest around.

Big selection of just about every colour and type of granite laid out for you in the show rooms in front

post-22250-0-94631600-1397703505_thumb.j

• Like 1

It may not be close or convenient for you but the granite place on the left hand side of Sukhumvit going south, just before the road drops down to the Hue Yai traffic lights cut their own granite from big rocks out back and are maybe the biggest around.

Big selection of just about every colour and type of granite laid out for you in the show rooms in front

+1 for this place, very good with the installations too, many different styles and helpful staff.

Thanks everyone....

Coming back from Rayong at the lunchtime, tried a place L/H 36 road near some traffic lights......

took a couple of minutes to wake the security guard up (true) they quoted 3000 BHT up M2

Went to another place Siam Country Club Road......very good selection.....2200 BHT up M2

Then went to a place on Sukhumvit close to the 36 Road turning (recommended to me since I asked TV for help).......1500 BHT up M2 the guy there was really helpful .....cutting out sink and hob

apertures only 700 BHT ......finishing the edges 200 BHT a meter .....so have decided to give them

the order

Thanks again everyone....and I will check out your suggestions for the next job

I hope that this is a useful post to other "Pattaya" TV members

Edited by DD13
  • Like 1

Thanks for quoting prices. I always think that a review without prices is a bit pointless.

Quite a big difference per sqm. Are you sure that the quality/thickness/colour/provenance/whatever was the same in all three places? I have some experience of marble and I know that these things can have a big impact on the price of that substance.

I have wooden kitchen tops that are OK but I would much prefer granite.

Thanks everyone....

Coming back from Rayong at the lunchtime, tried a place L/H 36 road near some traffic lights......

took a couple of minutes to wake the security guard up (true) they quoted 3000 BHT up M2

Went to another place Siam Country Club Road......very good selection.....2200 BHT up M2

Then went to a place on Sukhumvit close to the 36 Road turning (recommended to me since I asked TV for help).......1500 BHT up M2 the guy there was really helpful .....cutting out sink and hob

apertures only 700 BHT ......finishing the edges 200 BHT a meter .....so have decided to give them

the order

Thanks again everyone....and I will check out your suggestions for the next job

I hope that this is a useful post to other "Pattaya" TV members

When I installed my granite kitchen tops I also went to the same place near Rayong as i thought they would be cheap because they are so big, but also found that they were way overpriced.

I ordered mine from the same shop you ordered yours, after checking every place mentioned in this thread, and quite a few more, and am happy with the reult.

Thanks for quoting prices. I always think that a review without prices is a bit pointless.

Quite a big difference per sqm. Are you sure that the quality/thickness/colour/provenance/whatever was the same in all three places? I have some experience of marble and I know that these things can have a big impact on the price of that substance.

Excellent point on quality. We rented a place that had some really cheap granite. Leave a wet cup on the counter and the ring would never go away. When we bought our granite, the builder helped us pick it out. We've had no problems at all with it. Even in the Thai kitchen outside that gets some heavy, and dirty, use.

Excellent point on quality. We rented a place that had some really cheap granite. Leave a wet cup on the counter and the ring would never go away. When we bought our granite, the builder helped us pick it out. We've had no problems at all with it. Even in the Thai kitchen outside that gets some heavy, and dirty, use.

Granite needs to be treated with a water repellent liquid, if not done it will give the result you had.

Yes I was careful to check the thickness and the quality....

It is true what another poster said about being careful using granite

especially a wet red wine glass (or bottle) will leave a permanent mark, likewise

perfume type products

As for replacing your wooden work tops...I expect that you are aware that in this

country their practice is to make a concrete base for the worktop to sit on,

something which I have never seen in the UK

Another point of interest

The square meter pricing here is very sensible and fair

for example a 3 meter x 60cm worktop would be charged as 1.8 m2

That would never happen in the UK the charge would be cut from 3 x 1 and priced at = 3 m2

Therefore @ 1500 BHT M2

Here.................1.8 m2 = 2700 BHT

UK....................3.m2 = 4500 BHT

As for replacing your wooden work tops...I expect that you are aware that in this

That was quite common where I was in Europe also. 10cm wall tiles on a self-supporting concrete base were often used and indeed that's what I did in my house in the bathrooms.

My wooden kitchen counters here are just screwed onto battens on the wall and cabinet bases. I suspect they may be stable enough to mount granite onto directly without having to pour a concrete base, but I'm not sure.

I have granite on concrete in my bathroom here which was fitted as standard when the condo was built. It doesnt seem to stain at all, presumably because it has been finished correctly.

That was quite common where I was in Europe also. 10cm wall tiles on a self-supporting concrete base were often used and indeed that's what I did in my house in the bathrooms.

My wooden kitchen counters here are just screwed onto battens on the wall and cabinet bases. I suspect they may be stable enough to mount granite onto directly without having to pour a concrete base, but I'm not sure.

I have granite on concrete in my bathroom here which was fitted as standard when the condo was built. It doesnt seem to stain at all, presumably because it has been finished correctly.

In my many years of fitting granite work tops and tiles I have never heard of anyone using a concrete base.

Once in place due to the weight all you would need is a very good adhesive or even a good mastic.

I have granite worktop's and many other bit's in my place and all have been fixed with just Mastic between the granite and tops of cabinets,

I did screw and glue some 1/8" x 1" strips of ply to the top of the cabinet frames and after the tops were in place tilted them to the wall and placed mastic on top of the ply then lowered the tops in place put a bit of grout between the two tops and pushed them together wiping the excess grout off before it dried don't touch till all has cured 24 hours and they will never move.

N/B marble will stain but good granite never.

Thai granite even though it looks quite good is at best rubbish as it's not strong enough and can chip, funny enough the Chinese granite is very good and also quite cheap. The main thing you have to have is very strong cabinets or you could be in real trouble. Just pick up a small bit of work top and you will see how heavy it is then work out what a 3mt length weighs. I have two of same and it took 5 strong Thais and me to lift them into position.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

Granite needs to be treated with a water repellent liquid, if not done it will give the result you had.

Not all granite needs to be sealed. Probably why my builder recommended the type we got?

Not all granite needs to be sealed. Probably why my builder recommended the type we got?

These are all interesting and informative points....

And this is why Thaivisa is a helpful addition to our lives here in Thailand

• Like 1

If you want to check that your granite wont mark 'any good granite wont' take along a marker/magic pen and just put a dab on the non finished side it should not bleed into it then try on a piece of Marble and you will find that it will bleed through to the top in a matter of minutes and you will never get it out, marble doesn't even like pencil. Use scrap bit's as they wont like you doing it.