Pro-Govt lecturer loses contract with Chulalongkorn University

webfact

Pro-Govt Lecturer Loses Contract With Chulalongkorn
By Khaosod English

13977301141397730254l.jpg
Ms. Suda Rungkupan

BANGKOK: -- A pro-government lecturer says Chulalongkorn University has terminated a working contract with her, a decision she attributed to political disagreement.

According to Ms. Suda Rangukan, her annual contract with the university's Faculty of Arts was over by 31 March, and the administration was supposed to renew the contract with her, but she was recently informed that the university has decided otherwise, citing her "average" academic performance.

Although the decision does not mention any political reasons, Ms. Suda said the administration has previously voiced its concern over her political activism with the Redshirts movements, such as her role as the leader of the Declaration of Street Justice group.

Ms. Suda claimed she was also informed by a high-ranking official at the university that the a Senate committee has questioned the university administration about Ms. Suda's involvement with a satire Chinese traditional opera with contents critical of the establishments.

She said she will appeal the university's decision to terminate her contract, explaining that she wants to see fairness in the working system at Chulalongkorn; she believes many university employees have been treated unfairly by the "outsourcing" structure Chulalongkorn has adopted after the 2006 military coup.

"What is worse than my case is ... some senior lecturers in the bureaucracy who can simply extend their own working contracts endlessly," Ms. Suda told Khaosod, "They can get the retirement money and still receive salary from the university."

Ms. Suda added that she is determined to continue her political activism despite the university's decision.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1397730114

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-17

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She definitely supports the PTP then.

Blame, plots, conspiracies, simply because her performance was deemed as average. If this is her reaction then she definitely should have no place teaching at the university no matter what political party she supports.

Lets hope she does not progress this further with threats and intimidation.

I agree. She should be addressing their claim that she is merely average. Instead it would seem that her argument is that she may be average and that the university should keep average lecturers. If she isn't average, talk about that.

• Like 1

This is wrong. If her performance was "average," then it's similar to the other average instructors at the university. As is clear from my posts addressing PTP governance, I find much to criticize, there. But firing people for political beliefs at a university is downright wrong and diminishes the credibility of the institution--if that is what happened, here. Thailand needs a transparent tenure system to fight corruption in education, as similar reforms are needed to fight corruption in government and business. It doesn't matter what color shirt the victim is wearing.

Average relative to other instructors at that same university? Do they have an opportunity to get an above average lecturer to replace her? Is it political? It could even be personal. I don't know.

average thats way to bright for a pro government supporter surely..w00t.gif

Your post clearly demonstrates that she is way above your level. That is further evidenced by your abject failure to comment on what, if true, is blatant corruption in the university: "What is worse than my case is ... some senior lecturers in the bureaucracy who can simply extend their own working contracts endlessly," Ms. Suda told Khaosod, "They can get the retirement money and still receive salary from the university." Do you condone that practice?

If the senior professor is above average, then the university should continue to employee them. So I condone the practice of having older lecturers, even retired ones, if the University benefits.

"..a Senate committee has questioned the university administration about Ms. Suda's involvement with a satire Chinese traditional opera with contents critical of the establishments." You know how sensitive the Chinese government is to any criticism; satire does not publicly exist in China. Might be that the Chinese made (ahem) subtle hints as to their displeasure with Suda's involvement and now she's gone.

Work and politic are two different things , if you can't do in your job well don't politicize it . Like US marine don't ask , don't tell system if your are gay or lesbian it's affect your service to the nation it's two different things. Reds are most hardcore persdn who like to made up story to gain popularity. In Thai called it ' Pan nam pen din ' - mold water into soil .

"..a Senate committee has questioned the university administration about Ms. Suda's involvement with a satire Chinese traditional opera with contents critical of the establishments." You know how sensitive the Chinese government is to any criticism; satire does not publicly exist in China. Might be that the Chinese made (ahem) subtle hints as to their displeasure with Suda's involvement and now she's gone.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think

"the establishments" here refer to the Thai establishments. The "Chinese" part is just the form of art.

• Like 1

This is wrong. If her performance was "average," then it's similar to the other average instructors at the university. As is clear from my posts addressing PTP governance, I find much to criticize, there. But firing people for political beliefs at a university is downright wrong and diminishes the credibility of the institution--if that is what happened, here. Thailand needs a transparent tenure system to fight corruption in education, as similar reforms are needed to fight corruption in government and business. It doesn't matter what color shirt the victim is wearing.

Average relative to other instructors at that same university? Do they have an opportunity to get an above average lecturer to replace her? Is it political? It could even be personal. I don't know.

Finding someone who is just "average" at a Thai university is like striking gold. Few Ph.D.s exist, here, and many of those that do seem to have acquired their degree under suspect (online) circumstances.

If she participated in polics as an individual and did not say or imply that she was representing the University it is wrong.

If she said the university believes...... she could be subject to a University enquiry which shouls include her right to participate and have representation before any action is taken,

This action reflects on the University and will not help its reputation in the world.

• Like 1

Ask her students. She may very well be an academically average teacher, but if she can make a coffee cup interesting the students still love her. It's her somewhat fanatical defense of a political dismissal may suggest that she's using her class room hours to get her political positions, rather than her academic and creative experience across to her students, and the former is a complete bore unless you agree with her positions, and often it's a bit of a scolding from the prof when you don't.

To be honest, what she was doing in the classroom is the only thing that matters. Were her students learning or not?

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

Its an open secret that chula supports the yellow bullies.

one day its the thugs in the protest groups bashing their opponents on the street, next day its a boss firing someone for holding a different political opinion.

nothing new really, just the typical intolerance of these fascist yellow shirt people on display once again

• Like 2

She definitely supports the PTP then.

Blame, plots, conspiracies, simply because her performance was deemed as average. If this is her reaction then she definitely should have no place teaching at the university no matter what political party she supports.

Lets hope she does not progress this further with threats and intimidation.

I agree. She should be addressing their claim that she is merely average. Instead it would seem that her argument is that she may be average and that the university should keep average lecturers. If she isn't average, talk about that.

it appears she is exposing corruption within the Uni and explaining that there were 'political' reasons to get her 'out' and so reference to this is acceptable

it seems EVERYTHING here is 'political' now - which is a great shame - but the country is so polarized what's the way out? i don't see one

If it is ok for Red Shirts to bully and intimidate venue owners in Chiang Mai into cancelling events and concerts of known anti-government artists, then not renewing an annual contract seems a much more civilized and legal way, wouldn't you agree, Ms. Suda, lecturer of arts?

you mean the same way the Yellow Thugs bullied and intimidated VOTERS? and election workers??

don't pick on reds - CONDEMN bullying, intimidation and violence on BOTH sides

"the establishments" here refer to the Thai establishments. The "Chinese" part is just the form of art.

I think the 'establishment' in Thailand is made up mainly of Chinese-Thais, these are Thai people who have Chinese ancestry. A lot of them still have Chinese writing on the sign outside their business building (if they have a business), and a lot of them celebrate Chinese New Year in an active way. There's a lot of Chinese writing in many of Thailand's temples, it's probably because the supporters/sponsors are Chinese-Thais. Yes, they have their Chinese roots a bit more than most foreigners think.

Perhaps Ms Suda deliberately used a 'satire Chinese traditional opera with contents critical of the establishments' to antagonise the mainly Chinese-Thai establishment here in Thailand. Does Ms Suda look a little bit Chinese herself ?

In Britain, right, a university member of staff goes and does a speech which has a pop at the 'establishment'. Well, the students love it, the students would be demonstrating when they notice that the person has been removed. Maybe not here in Thailand. :)

Its an open secret that chula supports the yellow bullies.

one day its the thugs in the protest groups bashing their opponents on the street, next day its a boss firing someone for holding a different political opinion.

nothing new really, just the typical intolerance of these fascist yellow shirt people on display once again

Thugs, Fascist, Yellow.....

Fail!!!! You haven't used Ammart, Suthep, Nazi, Elitist, Anti Democracy, Coup

• Like 1

If it is ok for Red Shirts to bully and intimidate venue owners in Chiang Mai into cancelling events and concerts of known anti-government artists, then not renewing an annual contract seems a much more civilized and legal way, wouldn't you agree, Ms. Suda, lecturer of arts?

you mean the same way the Yellow Thugs bullied and intimidated VOTERS? and election workers??

don't pick on reds - CONDEMN bullying, intimidation and violence on BOTH sides

I like to pick on reds, because they make such juicy targets, yellows are too dry and don't have much flavor...

I think the 'establishment' in Thailand is made up mainly of Chinese-Thais, these are Thai people who have Chinese ancestry. A lot of them still have Chinese writing on the sign outside their business building (if they have a business), and a lot of them celebrate Chinese New Year in an active way. There's a lot of Chinese writing in many of Thailand's temples, it's probably because the supporters/sponsors are Chinese-Thais. Yes, they have their Chinese roots a bit more than most foreigners think.

Perhaps Ms Suda deliberately used a 'satire Chinese traditional opera with contents critical of the establishments' to antagonise the mainly Chinese-Thai establishment here in Thailand. Does Ms Suda look a little bit Chinese herself ?

In Britain, right, a university member of staff goes and does a speech which has a pop at the 'establishment'. Well, the students love it, the students would be demonstrating when they notice that the person has been removed. Maybe not here in Thailand. :)

Satire exists in Thailand?

Boiiinggggg. Hahahahaha