British Passport No Credit Card

Tanlic

A few day later I went into my branch to double check and the lady there told me it wouldn't be accepted in the UK unless I was there to sign.

I did actually mention this would be the case (and how to get around it), you obviously didn't believe me or ignored my posts. Thanks.

totster :)

Thank all for trying to help. I actually called the kasikorn and they said they would set up my card so it could be used outside Thailand.

A few day later I went into my branch to double check and the lady there told me it wouldn't be accepted in the UK unless I was there to sign.

Utter rot. If your card can be used internationally how on earth does it know if you are signing a bit of paper or not. It doesn't. You DO sign the paper anyway, the payment authorisation that you send with the application

As for proof of address it seems from another ongoing UK passport thread that a residency letter from immigration will do the trick.

Thank all for trying to help. I actually called the kasikorn and they said they would set up my card so it could be used outside Thailand.

Utter rot. If your card can be used internationally how on earth does it know if you are signing a bit of paper or not. It doesn't. You DO sign the paper anyway, the payment authorisation that you send with the application

As for proof of address it seems from another ongoing UK passport thread that a residency letter from immigration will do the trick.

You are wrong. The Kasikorn Debit card cannot be used unless you are there to sign the slip (anywhere). If you try and use it for web payments, or payment for services when you are not present the transaction will be declined.

This is the reason why Kasikorn offer the virtual debit card.

You are wrong. The Kasikorn Debit card cannot be used unless you are there to sign the slip (anywhere). If you try and use it for web payments, or payment for services when you are not present the transaction will be declined.

I'm sorry but a standard Kasikorn debit card can be enabled to make Internet purchases, mine is enabled and I've used it frequently. http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/InternetshoppingbyKDebit.aspx

You cannot use it where the process is not completed electronically, IE in the circumstances relevant to this thread. As you indicate the virtual card would work however, and I used this method last year to renew my passport.

• Like 2

totster smile.png

I'm sorry but a standard Kasikorn debit card can be enabled to make Internet purchases, mine is enabled and I've used it frequently. http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/InternetshoppingbyKDebit.aspx

You cannot use it where the process is not completed electronically, IE in the circumstances relevant to this thread. As you indicate the virtual card would work however, and I used this method last year to renew my passport.

I stand corrected, thanks for the info. wai.gif

I don't disagree with you at all so I went to the ATM stuck my card in and authorised it for on line use.

I wasnt confiden't the bank had done it for me and as for the gilr in my Branch.......the less said the better.

I just had the money for a poster from a UK company taken off my account 5 minutes ago.

If I can use it to buy a poster then surely it will work when they take the money from my passport ???? or is there a difference?

Edited by Tanlic

totster smile.png

I stand corrected, thanks for the info. wai.gif

totster smile.png

I just used my debit card....wasn't ignoring you at all Toster........it went through and I got all exited.........now I am on a downer again.................thankfully I read your posts and will pay by virtual credit card....Many thanks guys

If I can use it to buy a poster then surely it will work when they take the money from my passport ???? or is there a difference?

Yes, as I understand it there is a difference.

If you use your debit card online to purchase a poster, airline tickets or books from Amazon, it's a fully automated process so falls into the category of electronic use.

It will not work for a purchase like a passport where the vendor has to key in the details. The virtual card will though, as it's classed as a credit card, albeit linked to your savings account.

The guy from HKG explained that to me last year, adding it's a restriction put on by Thai banks not them.

At the end of the day the debit card didn't work the virtual card did.

I can't explain why though.

I have a Kasikorn basic savings account with an ATM / debit card.

It can be used in the UK and elsewhere. I've used mine to make purchases from both UK and US companies.

This is just the plain ordinary ATM card you get with the basic savings account.

You do however need to ask them to enable the card to be used 'on the internet' - I believe this turns on international payments.

This can be done at an ATM from what I understand but they helpfully did it for me at the ATM so I can't be sure.

I had this problem a couple of months ago with my KBank debit card.

I got an email from the passport people saying that the KBank card wouldn't process the card so I went down to the ATM, sorted it out and went back to them.

It was still refused and she checked while I was on the phone, I also tried another one which failed too.

After that I phoned an old friend in the UK and she gave me the details of her UK credit card. I phoned that through and the lady at the PP office confirmed that worked OK.

To repay my friend I went to the bank and filled out the form but because I live in rural Thailand there was a 3 way conversation between me, the lady at the bank and KBank call centre to sort it out.

Fortunately I took a book to read and the process took almost an hour with a bit of toing and froing.

While it was going on another lady at the bank was writing up notes on how to do it. One thing to note is that you cannot transfer the funds from your acount but have to pay cash which was easy as the funds were already there and so was the ATM.

I think the cost was £149.xx to my friends card and I transferred 9,500 thb which was about £164 but somewhere along the bank line it ended up as only £157.

In my case despite what the PP Office says a KBank debit card will NOT work.

I think that the PP Office should open a PayPal account which I have used regularly with my KBank debit card and never had a problem.

I hope that this helps.

Sometimes I scratch my head in amazement the questions here for such simplistic situations,with a modicum of common sense you would ask a mate with a credit card to pay and give him the cash end of problem, no 3 page essay needed

It depends on how long you have been out of the UK and if you still have any mates left there.

totster smile.png

I use my KBank debit card with PayPal and also Agoda and that has always worked for me.

I tried to log in to get my kbank virtual card details but it's been so long since I have logged in my account was locked.

Howver I got on to them and have re-applied and it will be up and running again tomorrow.

I'll be sending the virtual card number weith my application and will post the outcome on here as soon as I know.

Hopefully it will go through ok and then at least it might help someone else get over this hurdle

Thanks for all your help guys....maybe those dunderheads should employ you instead of the current staff in Bangkok who probably think the United Kingdom is in Ayutthaya

Cheers

attachicon.gifDraftServiceBranch.pdf I was advised to get a bank draft for my application, though not all banks do them. This is a list of Bangkok Banks which will sort it for you.

Advised by whom ?

A bankers draft is clearly NOT an option to pay according to the website:-

Fill in a Paying by credit card or debit card form for each passport youre applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

I believe there is a credit card authorisation form which can be completed and sent with all the application documents.

One day before I submit my application I get this reply after 3 weeks of trying.

GoodAfternoon
In response to your email, You are able to use your debit card as long as it holds the visa card or master card symbols. We will take payment from any of the above.
Many Thanks
As some of our friends on here have indicated that is a crock of sh!t.
However I suppose the ONUS is as much on the passport holder as it is on the Britiah Embassy Staff to find out.
That said they must know if they have knocked back Debit cards recently and why but according to this guy they don't.
They are probably underpaid and non English speaking from some colony we forgot we owned lol

Just got back from the Trendy.

What you have to look forward to.

1. There's one well set lady handles your apllication but you have to que along with another 5 or 6 people who have the same appointment time as yourself or 1/2 hour later.

2. She seems to be the only one who knows what she is doing the others in the next booths are continously asking her for help.

3. She counts/checks you have photo copied every page passport even the blank ones. Front and back cover you don't need to copy but every other page you must..

4. She asks you to sign every photo copy. I assume you have to do that in her presence so I wouldn't risk signing them beforehand to save time.

5. She checks your supporting documents

6. She quickly fills in a form that includes what you have given her asks you to fill in your phone number and email address. You check it and sign for it, she then photo copies it and gives the copy to you along with your passport.

7. She will then call you and or email you when your new passport arrives.

The whole thing takes less than 10 minutes.

Note: I had no bills to prove my address as I have just moved into a new condo. I gave her a letter from my bank staing my new address and a water bill I got the juristic person to fill in my address in English. I also gave them a copy of my lease and she said that was sufficient..............her saying that at the UK embassy saying it is 2 different things so I will wait and see on that score.

If you forget something like your payment form or have missed a a page when copying your passport they have a facility on the same floor to either download and print or photocopy at 10 baht a go.

All said and done it's much easier and I would say quicker that it was when it was handled by the British Embassy.

As promised I'd pop back in I can confirm that the K-Bank Virtual Card (not the normal debit Card) worked.

The fee was just taken out of my account by Liverpool Passport office.

Thanks again for the help especially theoldgit and toster for their contribution.

I hope this helps someone else and puts their mind at rest

• Like 2