Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

I used to have a MVA Brutale and have passed dedicated race bikes (slicks) on my Brutale with street tires at Willow Springs while Doug Polen was coaching me on track via helmet radio.

OK, I admit no one was racing as it was an open track session, but technically I was still passing them, 555.

I also rode a Cbr600f4i 10,000 miles before selling it and got my bike license from Michael Pettiford.

I don't consider myself a great rider but I have some experience going fast on so called macho bikes and know they are overkill in the real world.

All the power to those who actually use 120+ hp on public roads but I am not one of them since I ride in Bangkok; 125cc is comical but still plenty to get ahead of traffic.

So you guys can call me a girl for having one, but I still like my Tricity.

Someday I will buy pink pants and ride it.

It is sad that so many people see such a basic concept of 100% more front braking and traction as being silly.

Having done 2000 kilos on it now, the greatest benefit is its carefree, almost car-like, ride.

This is the scooter that has the most potential to get more people out of cars and reducing traffic; everyone should be promoting it to car drivers even if you think its the most retarded thing ever.

I found this article interesting since the bike had the same project leader as their MotoGP bike.

It also mentions there are only 2 functioning front shocks and the ride is crap.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30732

I suppose next to a heavy bigbike or enduro the ride might be harsh but from my experience it definitely rides much smoother than another 125cc scooter.

The only time it is harsh is hitting a speedbump flat on but most light vehicles have this problem.

I am waiting for some UV leds to come in the mail but soon you shall see my bike Tron style.

Edited by ttakata

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I was a taxi guy I would get the narrowest bike possible like a Wave.

No matter how narrow the bike is, the handlebars are still the widest part.

Unless you consider the adventure-style bikes with the huge aluminum side boxes.

Yeah I agree but even though I split lanes pretty easy with my Tricity I know it could be easier on my mind with a narrower body switching lanes in stopped traffic.

I took the barends off my bike and it is now probably the same width as the Nouvo.

Yet the 40 extra kilos more than my old Nouvo makes it a little more effort to do 90 degree turns between cars.

The Nouvo felt like a bicycle after riding the Tricity but it rode harsher and required more concentration to avoid bad road surfaces.

Everything has a tradeoff in bikes, there is no such thing as a perfect bike for every situation.

Meh, it is what it is.

I like the extra stability more than the lack on total nimbleness but I am not ruling out getting another 2 wheeler in the future even if it is more dangerous and difficult to ride.

I've actually seen a Tricity taxi guy in Bkk once.

Seems a horrible choice but I see many taxi guys on PCXs also.

If I was a taxi guy I would get the narrowest bike possible like a Wave.

My girlfriend hates using the PCX Taxis as she complains the seats are too wide for her,but you have to use the next in line.

I don't have that problem!

I bought a 2nd hand Tricity today near Kabinburi and rode it the ~150km back down to Pattaya.

Route 331 southbound has many rough areas and the 2x front suspension felt secure.

Top end is ~95km/hr sitting up and I saw 100 on a slight downcline with a light quartering tailwind.

Felt quite stable and smooth @ that speed.

I like it.

I bought a 2nd hand Tricity today near Kabinburi and rode it the ~150km back down to Pattaya.

Route 331 southbound has many rough areas and the 2x front suspension felt secure.

Top end is ~95km/hr sitting up and I saw 100 on a slight downcline with a light quartering tailwind.

Felt quite stable and smooth @ that speed.

I like it.

How long did that trip take you? Nakhon Nayok to the area should be about the same.

Hoi guys, after doing some more riding with my new tricity, just finished 1000km. I l ike to make a facit:

to go shopping in town (rural Isaan town) my Honda Spacy is more easy, because not so heavy

to go riding a trip, my tricity beats any of my other bikes, the spacy, the skydrive, the step.

it is riding smooth over many bumps which with the other bikes have to be avoided, with a safe feeling

which might sometimes be dangerous, makes you riding less concentrated.

my wife on the back feels very well, even after riding 2 hours and it is an overall soft riding.

more than 80kmh loaded do not come out, but i want to cruise and enjoy the nature and 70 to 80kmh proved to be OK.

I am looking forward to some trips over several days, many places to go see here in Isaan.

I prefer it over my car...no air con, no parking hassles, free riding feeling.

a draw back is, it is heavy, you have to handle it carefully and to keep it in balance, especially when parking,

my wife 156cm/45kg runs it too (only alone, not with me as a passenger I am 100kg, hihihi),

but with much respect and not for going shopping in town.

P.S.

I was in Switzerland for 2 months for my holidays and the Swiss importer was so friendly to send

me per e mail a pdf file with the complete manual in German, anybody interested, here my

mail: [email protected] and i would gladly send it to you.

Papa Al - this guy has it.

Hey glad to hear more people getting the bike, I think we are up to 4 people on this thread.

Well I got my UV LEDs in so finally got my wheels to glow Tron style.

Sadly all the lights are on the same switch so the blue underglow really cuts the green glowing wheels in the photos.

It looks pretty sweet in person and I am probably the only guy in Thailand with glowing rims for now.

I really wanted everything blue but have not found a suitable blue glow tape that sticks to the rims.

I thought glow powdercoat to cover the entire wheel but read that glow stuff only charges a finite amount of times so decided to stick to tape that can be replaced for cheap.
It sounds simple but was a very time consuming process to do this; maybe 20+ hours of experimenting.
1. Cut glow tape into hundreds of pieces and apply to rims.
2. Wire up UV LEDs to make the tape glow.
Since the suspension sags and the front fenders are independent of the wheels, you need to get someone your own weight on the bike to align the outer front LEDs to properly strike the glow tape.
Super pain to install but well worth it to me.
Maybe later I will change the inside rims to a different color like orange so from an angle you will see 2 colors.

post-91685-0-43558500-1412264959_thumb.j

post-91685-0-54215900-1412264974_thumb.j

Edited by ttakata

Hey glad to hear more people getting the bike, I think we are up to 4 people on this thread.

Well I got my UV LEDs in so finally got my wheels to glow Tron style.

Sadly all the lights are on the same switch so the blue underglow really cuts the green glowing wheels in the photos.

It looks pretty sweet in person and I am probably the only guy in Thailand with glowing rims for now.

I really wanted everything blue but have not found a suitable blue glow tape that sticks to the rims.

I thought glow powdercoat to cover the entire wheel but read that glow stuff only charges a finite amount of times so decided to stick to tape that can be replaced for cheap.

It sounds simple but was a very time consuming process to do this; maybe 20+ hours of experimenting.

1. Cut glow tape into hundreds of pieces and apply to rims.

2. Wire up UV LEDs to make the tape glow.

Since the suspension sags and the front fenders are independent of the wheels, you need to get someone your own weight on the bike to align the outer front LEDs to properly strike the glow tape.

Super pain to install but well worth it to me.

Maybe later I will change the inside rims to a different color like orange so from an angle you will see 2 colors.

I am normally not a huge fan of mods like underglow but am considering it due to where I live. It is dark out here with no streetlights. Increased visibility is a good thing!!!

I like the underglow on your bike.

The underglow really helps in the rain too.

Cars tend to see me coming between the lanes more than without the glow.

Of course in the countryside you will just look like a UFO which isn't bad since there are not many rednecks with guns here.

I used to run a bunch of LED strips on my Nouvo; wiring was a pain.

This bike just has one 3 meter strip looping all around the bike so there was only 1 light/switch to wire up.

I still added yellow strips in the fenders for turn signals and a red tied into the braking.

Underglows are illegal in the US usually so I go a little overboard here with my lights.

post-4271-14124104049609_thumb.jpg

Bought it today.

Ran it up to 100kmh on the ride home. Deliberately did not avoid the rough spots on the highway home that I always avoided in the past. Great fun ride.

Parked in front of the local coffeehouse and watched the 'wow' factor. 1 guy almost crashed when looking back over his shoulder.

FUN

I use a free app called "Fillup" on Android to track all my gas.

I seem to average 37KmL in the last 1886 kilometers and 12 fillups.

I got slightly better economy out of the red benzine but not a better value so I switched over to the regular 91 green ethanol gas halfway through since this is not a performance bike.

I use a free app called "Fillup" on Android to track all my gas.

I seem to average 37KmL in the last 1886 kilometers and 12 fillups.

I got slightly better economy out of the red benzine but not a better value so I switched over to the regular 91 green ethanol gas halfway through since this is not a performance bike.

That seems very good fuel economy for a bike this massive.

37 is nearly what I've gotten from my much lighter SX.

Yamaha engineering defying conventional wisdom again!

If I can achieve that economy level on the YTC, I guess I'll sell the YN-SX.

I also appreciate the ~50% greater fuel tankage @ 6.6liter.

The frame seems stiff for a flat floor scoot.

I don't care that Finos can out accelerate me.

And it surely does draw attention, which some people will like.

Lack of cubby holes is my main bish so far.