A Thai just asked to borrow money from me.

Som wat

Yes, Wat Kaek.

Shows all you need to know about how highly respected they are. cheesy.gif

Kaek = Guest in English. What Thais call Indians, the same as we are farangs.

The rest of your post is either stupidity, or you pretending to be stupid in order to deflect.

Never mind lad. smile.png

For a newcomer, not only are you a bigot but a rude, know-it-all too. you won't win many friends wih this attitude.

Obviously you can't speak Thai so I doubt you've been here very long.

"Kaek' is a word used to describe those from the Indian subcontinent.

"Kaek Khao" is used for Iranians etc.

BTW, you're young enough to be by son.

You won't get far with an attitude like that. 10,000 posts on an internet forum will probably make up for it though. So fear not.

And yes, I passed my Por Hok a good few years ago after a good few years of full-time study.

But interesting that you've gone off the topic of my posts twice now when called out on your nonsense.

Guess it's how 10,000 post vets roll when out-done. Pity really. :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very good Thai friend who once asked for a large sum,,,as I know him quite well I suspect this was related to a gambling problem as he has a major problem in this area...I turned him down with some excuse

asides from the gambling this is a wonderful Thai man just trying to get by in this world like anybody else

I still feel a little guilty about turning him down

he quite often drives me places and helps me out in different ways and when I try to pay he tells me I am his friend

and he does not want money

I sometimes insist but wonder if I offend him a little when I do this,,,any feedback on this would be appreciated

still need to understand Thai culture more,,,but I am learning

I do give him a little card and put 500 or 1000 baht in it for special occasions (xmas new years etc) and explain it is my culture,,,has worked out well with no uncomfortableness on either side

back home I have lent 10 or 20 to some people just because I knew I would never see the money or more importantly

the person ever again

never a borrower or lender be.....but if you must be one,,,be a borrower

I have a very good Thai friend who once asked for a large sum,,,as I know him quite well I suspect this was related to a gambling problem as he has a major problem in this area...I turned him down with some excuse

asides from the gambling this is a wonderful Thai man just trying to get by in this world like anybody else

I still feel a little guilty about turning him down

he quite often drives me places and helps me out in different ways and when I try to pay he tells me I am his friend

and he does not want money

I sometimes insist but wonder if I offend him a little when I do this,,,any feedback on this would be appreciated

still need to understand Thai culture more,,,but I am learning

I do give him a little card and put 500 or 1000 baht in it for special occasions (xmas new years etc) and explain it is my culture,,,has worked out well with no uncomfortableness on either side

back home I have lent 10 or 20 to some people just because I knew I would never see the money or more importantly

the person ever again

never a borrower or lender be.....but if you must be one,,,be a borrower

Buy him a gift every now and then.

• Like 1

In Thaispeak 'borrow' means 'give me'.

It is rare to get money back that you lend to a Thai , harsh but true ,

Absolute rubbish

I agree. Generalized statements seem meaningless.

However, if the gent had said something along the line, "From my experience, I have rarely gotten money back from Thais that I lent it to", that might be more credible since it was a personal experience and identifies a specific group.

Only 2000 baht.

I said that I don't lend anybody money.

But if she needs 2000b then I'm willing to pay her 1000b a day for helping me in the garden for two days. More than a fair rate.

Should have seen her face drop.

For the split second it was still there before disappearing faster than the Roadrunner.

I love Thailand. smile.png

Your story is SO indicative of the mores and attitudes here.

In one or two phrases, your counter-proposal of actual WORK for money lowered this woman's self-conferred status from a "bidnett" woman to that of a common labourer.

After all, it IS all about up and down, here.

And the less exposure some of these geniuses have had to real business arrangements, the sillier the proposals.

Hell, my wife who I assure you does NOT need to work was helping a "friend" of hers out with her *flat-as-pi55-on-a-plate* break- even Pratunam rag-trade stall. This "friend" had begged for her help claiming that anyone who worked "for" her had either cheated her, stolen from her or run off the moment they found a better situation. Wifey stepped in to help.

We were soon to learn why no one else, family or friend was ever seen around there.

This business-owning "friend" thought part of her role as an entrepreneur was to treat everyone like dirt. This included potential customers and fellow shopkeepers. She even expected her meals to come from everyone else's purchases.

When this "friend" immediately turned around at one point and began treat my wife like a servant, my wife reminded her that she didn't need the money and she was just doing her a favour.

The "friend's" reply ?

"If you don't really need the money you should invest in my business" (the woman not only believed this she sought confirmation of this with anyone in the building who cared to listen by declaring anyone who had money would invest with her rather than work.

The mess dragged on for way way longer than it should have because my wife simply felt sorry for the woman.

It IS all about up and down here.

That's the way Thais conduct themselves in their business dealings.

And YOU, Som wat, were supposed to be "bottom" on this one. ;-)

Nice play ;-)

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

what nice play?

he missed out on two sure quickies in my book,

1,000 baht a throw, was a great deal,

did she come back?

• Like 1

what nice play?

he missed out on two sure quickies in my book,

1,000 baht a throw, was a great deal,

did she come back?

Scarpolo, Thai expert you are (Well that's obviously sarcastic), you should know that 1000 baht a throw is NOT such a great deal here in Thailand. But then again your mind is either in the gutter or the sky......... neither being based in realitycheesy.gif

Edited by beachproperty

Thais I never never lent. Brits living in thailand are also just as bad as thais. Thai Chinese, I might consider if they have collateral.

I guess this explains 100% the society you live in.

Very often,after reading some high-nosed posts, the following comes to my mind...

Hence, readers should understand...

Edited by ravip

As I've always said,scratch the surface of Thai life there is always a nightmare awaiting you. Up to you if you want to get involved. So many casualties.

I guess you would not even dream of stepping on to the Thai soil in your life time?
I spend most of the year in Thailand and used to live there, I've seen literally hundreds of farang mugs who fall for the dream by sratching the surface. Just enjoy it for what at is. For those who think she is the one. She isn't.
  • Like 1

As I've always said,scratch the surface of Thai life there is always a nightmare awaiting you. Up to you if you want to get involved. So many casualties.

I guess you would not even dream of stepping on to the Thai soil in your life time?
I spend most of the year in Thailand and used to live there, I've seen literally hundreds of farang mugs who fall for the dream by sratching the surface. Just enjoy it for what at is. For those who think she is the one. She isn't.

well... why blame Thailand?

80 looking for 18 is inviting trouble in any nation!

I guess I am wrong cheesy.gif

Of course never lend money which you will never see again, family, friends questionable, but Thais absolute. If anything for principle sake. Paid labour for gardening, 1000 is ridiculous, tell her 300 baht a day; and she doesn't like it, say, "okay, I'll get a Burmese who will do it for less".

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In Thaispeak 'borrow' means 'give me'.

It is rare to get money back that you lend to a Thai , harsh but true ,

Absolute rubbish

Most certainly not.

After living here for 12 years I finally gave in.

Lent 140k, got monthly payments back totaling 70K, last 18 months Zero.

Rescued a gambling sister from assassination by loan sharks (100K) GF did confiscate chanote 6 rai rice field, since she did not pay back one baht changed title deed to her name (cost was 20k) but 6 rai of rice field are not going to bring any revenue. We have 20 bags of rice in a storage room, gf gave the remaining rice to her mother.

They all know I will lend zero for the years to come.