Cost of living

viking123

Nobody mentioned health/accident insurance yet. Apart from wondering why anyone in his right mind should wish to live in Bangkok, 30000 Bt is a lot for a single guy's apartment.

blink.png

Why does anyone live in the big city?

Not everyone wants to drive for 10 minutes to the local Mom & Pop store or find themselves stuffed if they need something in an emergency.

Ok so there's a bit of traffic in BKK, so what? BTS & MRT are world class public transport services at very cheap prices.

The pros outweigh the cons so convincingly, it's no contest.

I live in buzzing Asoke smack bang in between the Emporium & Terminal 21 shopping malls, a choice of the Aspire Fitness, True Fitness & Fitness First gyms, 2 multiplex cinemas, several banks with full international services, BTS & MRT stations within 2 minutes walk and if the party absolutely, positively must go on, I can step out to one of 2 local Family Marts and pick up a bottle of Smirnoff at 4 am.

Oh and I spend ฿50K all in every month on rent, bills, food and comprehensive medical insurance.

The rest, I save

Who NEEDS Emporium, Terminal 21 (whatever they are), Fitness gyms, cinemas, and banks (that recognise me when I come in) on their doorstep? I didn't come here to consume Farang stuff apart from the occasional buying of the ingredients for pizzas and bread. I get fit by actually working in my veg. garden, walking a lot more than most Thais think sensible and building, I go to the bank 2/3 times a month. The mom and pop shop is 5 minutes walk and they will get me anything I want if I ask. I saw most of the films proposed for the Academy awards before the awards were adjudged. 20Km from the next big town - what am I missing?

I saw two people dead on the road at 5am two days ago in Bangkok. Every time we reluctantly go there we look at each other and say: 'go home'.

By the way I live very well with a new car being paid for, health insurance, fixing up the house and much beer for about ฿50 000.- a month with wife and dependent child.

• Like 1

Whatever they are?? The clue was in the "shopping malls" I used in the quoted post.

I don't need the bank staff to recognise me - even though they do come to think of it - I just don't want to have to travel far if I need to repatriate money to the UK or the US.

I didn't come here to consume farang stuff either but when I want it, it's conveniently right there

As for fitness, next time you go for your health check and the doctor suggests you up your physical activity, you tell him your gardening is more than enough.

Me, I prefer to pound it at the gym to maintain my at-rest 55 bpm heart rate, text book blood pressure readings and 15% body fat thanks.

You like living in the boonies, I like living in the city.

Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes