Phuket hit-and-run Russians now fugitives

webfact

If the drivers of the car had been Thai, this wouldn't even be more than a small blurb in the news.

Don't know the facts, other than they were both going in same direction and collided when driver attempted a U-Turn. But logically that tells me the bike was in the wrong lane, between cars and curb, and crashed into the car because of it.

But condolences to his family.

Doesn't matter where the bike was. The car was doing a u-turn and hit somebody wile making that manouvre, and was therefor in the wrong.

Yes, a Thai would probably have left the scene as well, but would have been apprehended later and compensation would have been paid. I would presume compensation would still have to be paid by the insurance company of the rental car, but I don't know where it was rented from and how much their insurance was.

Sorry, but YOUR logic is wrong. IF the car was in the proper lane, and had signaled their intentions (facts we don't really know), and the bike was between cars and curb, then the bike was totally in the wrong.<snip>

No, not true. If having an accident with oncoming traffic or traffic from behind while performing an u-turn the vehicle making the turn is in the wrong.

You seem to really have a problem accepting the possible concept that the bike rider was at all the least bit responsible for the accident. So, either you are very dense, or have never driven in Thailand.

1 - Car is making a right hand U-turn. Bike is ILLEGALLY in the wrong lane

2 - Car makes turn, bike, because is was in the WRONG LANE, is hit.

3 - We don't know what actually happened, but this is, more than likely, based on MANY years of driving in the crazy country, the actual case.

4 - Can you wrap your head around that very distinct possibility?

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the hell is the Husband wanted he was nothing to do with the accident and was not EVEN IN THE CAR THAT HAD THE ACCIDENT so why on earth would he be wanted for any reason other than as a witness

He has committed no crime

• Like 1

Maybe I am missing something here. How can the ruskies be fugitives if A, they have not been convicted nor committed a crime and B, none of them were driving? The Thai driver is the fugitive.. blink.png

Oops.

You should not have asked that.

But the Russkies could pay damages,

You seem to really have a problem accepting the possible concept that the bike rider was at all the least bit responsible for the accident. So, either you are very dense, or have never driven in Thailand.

3 - We don't know what actually happened, but this is, more than likely, based on MANY years of driving in the crazy country, the actual case.

Why the need for rude comments?

Maybe this link will help you, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718145-gf-had-an-accident-in-my-car-police-say-she-is-at-fault/?utm_source=newsletter-20140412-1037&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

It really does not matter what the bike did or where it was, the car is in the wrong for making a u-turn while the road was not clear.

Edited by stevenl

Why in the hell is the Husband wanted he was nothing to do with the accident and was not EVEN IN THE CAR THAT HAD THE ACCIDENT so why on earth would he be wanted for any reason other than as a witness

He has committed no crime

Read the OP.

I will guess in all probability it was the (very) usual situation of four wheeler turning right and two wheels piloted by a hydrocephalic Thai moron trying to overtake (to the right hand side) as he/she did

If the drivers of the car had been Thai, this wouldn't even be more than a small blurb in the news.

Don't know the facts, other than they were both going in same direction and collided when driver attempted a U-Turn. But logically that tells me the bike was in the wrong lane, between cars and curb, and crashed into the car because of it.

Doesn't matter where the bike was. The car was doing a u-turn and hit somebody wile making that manouvre, and was therefor in the wrong.

Yes, a Thai would probably have left the scene as well, but would have been apprehended later and compensation would have been paid. I would presume compensation would still have to be paid by the insurance company of the rental car, but I don't know where it was rented from and how much their insurance was.

That is not correct. It is illegal for motorbikes (and cars) to be driving between lanes in Thailand, ie. between 2 car lanes or between a car lane and the curb (on either side). I know this from a similar court case where a car opened it's door and thereby knocked a motorbike driver who was driving between lanes off his bike. The bike guy lost because he should have been driving behind the car in a proper lane, not between cars or car/curb in non existing lanes.

Hence, if the kid was passing the u-turning car in the same manner, one has to assume the kid is at fault. (I make the assumption here that it makes no difference if the accident happens due to door opening or u-turning).

(Yes, you are allowed to pass another vehicle, but only if you can do so by moving into the lane of the oncoming traffic, or if there is an available lane in your own direction.)

However, if there was several lanes, and the car came from the inner lane, and u-turned across another lane with the bike and thereby hit it, then the car driver is of course at fault. Unfortunately the OP does not give details regarding this.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

That is not correct. It is illegal for motorbikes (and cars) to be driving between lanes in Thailand, ie. between 2 car lanes or between a car lane and the curb (on either side). I know this from a similar court case where a car opened it's door and thereby knocked a motorbike driver who was driving between lanes off his bike. The bike guy lost because he should have been driving behind the car in a proper lane, not between cars or car/curb in non existing lanes.

Hence, if the kid was passing the u-turning car in the same manner, one has to assume the kid is at fault. (I make the assumption here that it makes no difference if the accident happens due to door opening or u-turning).<snip>

You are correct, until you mentioned 'hence'. The situation at hand is completely different from your example, so 'hence' is not correct, hence your reasoning is flawed. While making a u-turn the road has to be clear in both directions so the u-turn can be executed safely. It was not.

Why the need for insults?

Maybe this link will help you, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718145-gf-had-an-accident-in-my-car-police-say-she-is-at-fault/?utm_source=newsletter-20140412-1037&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

It really does not matter what the bike did or where it was, the car is in the wrong for making a u-turn while the road was not clear.

Oh, Jesus, you're hopeless. Yeah, I read your link and what the law in Land of Stupidity says, but try looking at things with some common sense, and forget stupid Thai laws.

Can you at least accept the possibility the car slowed, used signal, and typical stupid that motorbike driver was in the wrong lane, with our without a headlight (how many times we seen that), and was going too fast to stop? Can you even BEGIN to imagine that scenario, or are you so stuck on "Thai Law" that it's the only thing your brain can comprehend. That, AND the belief that Thai bike riders are ALWAYS perfect drivers and NEVER do anything wrong?

Ok, I'm through with you and this conversation. Waste of time to talk to someone who can't see "possible, plausible options".

• Like 2

Oh, Jesus, you're hopeless. Yeah, I read your link and what the law in Land of Stupidity says, but try looking at things with some common sense, and forget stupid Thai laws.

Can you at least accept the possibility the car slowed, used signal, and typical stupid that motorbike driver was in the wrong lane, with our without a headlight (how many times we seen that), and was going too fast to stop? Can you even BEGIN to imagine that scenario, or are you so stuck on "Thai Law" that it's the only thing your brain can comprehend. That, AND the belief that Thai bike riders are ALWAYS perfect drivers and NEVER do anything wrong?

Ok, I'm through with you and this conversation. Waste of time to talk to someone who can't see "possible, plausible options".

Yes, that could easily be what happened. But that doesn't matter, does it, the car driver is at fault.

Sorry, but YOUR logic is wrong. IF the car was in the proper lane, and had signaled their intentions (facts we don't really know), and the bike was between cars and curb, then the bike was totally in the wrong.<snip>

No, not true. If having an accident with oncoming traffic or traffic from behind while performing an u-turn the vehicle making the turn is in the wrong.

Oncoming traffic yes, traffic from behind no (assuming you are in the rightmost lane when u-turning). Cars/bikes hitting someone in front of them who brakes or similar (for any reason) are always at fault, as they are supposed to keep proper distance.

If there are no lanes to the right of the u-turning car (in the same direction), then it does not matter if he blinks or not, as noone is allowed to pass him on the right anyway. If the u-turning car is crossing other lanes in the same direction as himself in order to make the u-turn, then the car is first considered as "changing lanes" and is responsible as such, hence has to make sure the lane he changes to is free.

Hence, if the kid was passing the u-turning car in the same manner, one has to assume the kid is at fault. (I make the assumption here that it makes no difference if the accident happens due to door opening or u-turning).<snip>

You are correct, until you mentioned 'hence'. The situation at hand is completely different from your example, so 'hence' is not correct, hence your reasoning is flawed. While making a u-turn the road has to be clear in both directions so the u-turn can be executed safely. It was not.

Notice in the link you posted a few posts above, it does not say which direction the bike came from, it sound like it came from the opposite direction, since it says she "cut in front" of it, and in that case the car is of course at fault.

However, the bike in the OP came from behind, and then we are back to my example (which is a real case).

Yes, that could easily be what happened. But that doesn't matter, does it, the car driver is at fault.

No he isn't, not according to Thai law either. Your link is useless, as it does not state from which direction the bike came.

No he isn't, not according to Thai law either. Your link is useless, as it does not state from which direction the bike came.

It does not state what direction the bike came from because it is immaterial.

But hey, keep on believing what you want.

Whenever I drive here, I always expect the worst and try to prepare for it. When making a U-turn, if anyone is anywhere near me I slowly slow down until they pass, then I do the U-turn. It's called defensive driving. The Thais are terrible drivers; everyone knows that. Prepare for the worst. Prepare for the motorcycle with no lights etc. etc. etc. How is it OK to kill somebody just because they were being stupid? Just take that extra few seconds every time you make a maneuver and scan for retards. Anyone who's been here more than a week should know this.

For the benefit of American and other left hand vehicle drivers,the car driver was turning right to make a u turn as he was driving a right hand drive car.It is entirely his/her responsibility to ensure it is safe to do so.The motorcycle could quite legitimately overtake a slowing vehicle.Got it ? In Thailand they drive on the left !!

• Like 1

All this crap and at the same time the new Police Chief has just made a public statement that the Phuket Police are doing a top job and working very hard......................hate to see what will happen when they stuff up . whistling.gif

People should read from the start to understand, not half way through.

The witness who was in one of the cars said that the m/c was travelling in the same direction as the car which hit him doing a U turn. The m/c must to have been on the outside to have been hit. Therefore the lady car driver was to blame for driving into the m/c.

Sorry, but YOUR logic is wrong. IF the car was in the proper lane, and had signaled their intentions (facts we don't really know), and the bike was between cars and curb, then the bike was totally in the wrong. I've had this happen to me more than a few times here over the past 6 years, and just lucky that I haven't actually hit one of these idiots.

EDIT: Also can't count the number of times I've slowed down, with left signal on, slowly moving over the make left hand turn, and STILL have to watch out for the untrained, stupid bike drivers who rush to squeeze past on my left side, nearly causing the same result.

DO NOT turn right or left unless you have looked and made sure that you are not being overtaken. You are wrong and should learn to use your rear vision mirrors if that is how you have been driving. Many drivers like you just do the turn without looking first, some do indicate but never look behind. So have the attitude...........i am coming through move over !

<snip>

EDIT: Also can't count the number of times I've slowed down, with left signal on, slowly moving over the make left hand turn, and STILL have to watch out for the untrained, stupid bike drivers who rush to squeeze past on my left side, nearly causing the same result.

Move further left to prevent that from happening.

• Like 1

They are Koreans that acquired Russian passports according to a Russian friend of mine familiar with this.

With a family name like Kim, this would seem pretty logical...

Nope.

A number of Russians with the name "Kim", were not of Korean descent, but rather were named after the "Kommunistichesky International Molodyozhi" ('Youth Communist International').

Not really. It happened only with given names. But "Kim" as the family name means only they are ethnic Koreans. And there are lots of them in eastern part of Russia.

• Like 1

Excuse me! Please explain why this driver was in the wrong for doing a U turn which is perfectly legitimate maneuver. A U turn is no different than making a right turn. It only becomes a U turn when, instead of continuing right you continue in the opposite direction. It is clear this accident happened when the car was turning right. You can indicate to turn right whenever you please as long as it is on a minor road. Exceptions are road markings. A single unbroken yellow line (no right turn) or double yellow unbroken line ( no right turn and no overtaking). If you live on a main residential road and your home is on the right would you put your indicator on to turn right and slow down, then when there is no oncoming traffic continue and park at your home? Yes you would. If the driver behind was driving sensibly there would be clear distance between the car in front and himself. So any maneuver utilized by the car in front will offer you; (a) thinking time, (B) breaking distance. In the case of a motor bike there is also the possibility that if the bike behind was so close to the car in front he will have put himself in the blind spot of the cars right side mirror and also hide the effect of the bikes front light in the cars rear view mirror because it is so close to the rear end of the car.

God,,, you, GOTTA LOVE,, TVF!,,, Not a SINGLE person posting about this was there, on SCENE,,, yet, MANY, have already, "solved" this case,,, here's the, "facts" as reported by the original article,,, a 16 yr old kid, was riding his cycle, well into the wee hours of the morning,,, a Russian woman was driving a rented car,, SOMETHING happened, to cause the death of the cycle rider,,, The car driver, involved in this incedent,,, drove off,, as did the car, following her,,, But,, SOMEHOW,,, either she was making an illeagle turn, killed the kid,,, or WAS making a legal turn, he was riding without a helmet,, NO license,, NO headlight,, in the wrong lane,, etc, etc etc,,, OOOOH,,, and she was coming from a party,,, where we're, ALL SUURE she was drinking at,,, OOOOH! and lest we forget the police were, DEFFINETLY paid off, to look the other way,, NOOOO DOUBT about THAT,,, "FACT",,,,, MANY here,, are COMPLETELY CONVINCED of all these, "FACTS",,, while their comfortably sitting at home,, TRYING to figure out Windows 8,,,,,, JEEEZUS people... PLEASE,, PLEASE,, PLEASE just TRY and get out more,, and not sit home as laptop judges,, and "solve" this case,, from the comfort of your, "exclusive/deluxe/expensive/penthouse/beach front, near ALL the best shopping areas/gated/HUGE/massive/estate,,,,, etc, etc, etc, Condo, in the, "BEST area" of where EVER it is you happen to live, with your PERFECT Thai wife, who's while you've, "solved" this case, is making your, FAVORITE food stuffs,, which, you/she,, brought home in your, ONLY 18 month old, Benz/Bently/Ferrari/Lambo,,, But you could've taken the Ducati/Moto Gussi/,, Etc,etc,etc,,, ETC!,,,, JEEEZUS this <removed> is getting REALLY,,, REALLY,,, REEEEALLLY OLD!!!!!!!

God,,, you, GOTTA LOVE,, TVF!,,, Not a SINGLE person posting about this was there, on SCENE,,, yet, MANY, have already, "solved" this case,,, here's the, "facts" as reported by the original article,,, a 16 yr old kid, was riding his cycle, well into the wee hours of the morning,,, a Russian woman was driving a rented car,, SOMETHING happened, to cause the death of the cycle rider,,, The car driver, involved in this incedent,,, drove off,, as did the car, following her,,, But,, SOMEHOW,,, either she was making an illeagle turn, killed the kid,,, or WAS making a legal turn, he was riding without a helmet,, NO license,, NO headlight,, in the wrong lane,, etc, etc etc,,, OOOOH,,, and she was coming from a party,,, where we're, ALL SUURE she was drinking at,,, OOOOH! and lest we forget the police were, DEFFINETLY paid off, to look the other way,, NOOOO DOUBT about THAT,,, "FACT",,,,, MANY here,, are COMPLETELY CONVINCED of all these, "FACTS",,, while their comfortably sitting at home,, TRYING to figure out Windows 8,,,,,, JEEEZUS people... PLEASE,, PLEASE,, PLEASE just TRY and get out more,, and not sit home as laptop judges,, and "solve" this case,, from the comfort of your, "exclusive/deluxe/expensive/penthouse/beach front, near ALL the best shopping areas/gated/HUGE/massive/estate,,,,, etc, etc, etc, Condo, in the, "BEST area" of where EVER it is you happen to live, with your PERFECT Thai wife, who's while you've, "solved" this case, is making your, FAVORITE food stuffs,, which, you/she,, brought home in your, ONLY 18 month old, Benz/Bently/Ferrari/Lambo,,, But you could've taken the Ducati/Moto Gussi/,, Etc,etc,etc,,, ETC!,,,, JEEEZUS this <removed> is getting REALLY,,, REALLY,,, REEEEALLLY OLD!!!!!!!

. You need to seek help !
  • Like 1

Excuse me! Please explain why this driver was in the wrong for doing a U turn which is perfectly legitimate maneuver. A U turn is no different than making a right turn. It only becomes a U turn when, instead of continuing right you continue in the opposite direction. It is clear this accident happened when the car was turning right. You can indicate to turn right whenever you please as long as it is on a minor road. Exceptions are road markings. A single unbroken yellow line (no right turn) or double yellow unbroken line ( no right turn and no overtaking). If you live on a main residential road and your home is on the right would you put your indicator on to turn right and slow down, then when there is no oncoming traffic continue and park at your home? Yes you would. If the driver behind was driving sensibly there would be clear distance between the car in front and himself. So any maneuver utilized by the car in front will offer you; (a) thinking time, (cool.png breaking distance. In the case of a motor bike there is also the possibility that if the bike behind was so close to the car in front he will have put himself in the blind spot of the cars right side mirror and also hide the effect of the bikes front light in the cars rear view mirror because it is so close to the rear end of the car.

The car was doing a u-turn, which as you say is a legitimate manouver if not hindering other traffic. Obviously she was hindering other traffic. While making the u-turn she was overtaken and failed to notice the bike overtaking her, therefor she was legally at fault.

See also the provided link.