New Computer + Which Version of Windows?

klikster

I'll be shopping for a new computer for wife next week - here in Khon Kaen. Her old laptop with Vista OS (yuk!) recently died.

She is not really computer literate and mainly uses a computer for simple games and surfing the internet, organizing photos, etc -- but she is gradually expanding her abilities.

Computer:

- Small form factor (but not an all-in-one or tablet)

- Modest, but sprightly, CPU

- Decent video board

- 2G RAM (assuming OS cannot utilize more)

- Seagate hybrid HDD, assuming I can find one at TUTCOM

- Good quality power supply

OS

I was ready to assume a legal version of W8.1 until I read about the "update" merry-go-round

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2339927/microsoft-promptly-ends-support-for-windows-81

What I'm concerned about is getting a version that is past its "update" date. The whole Microsoft thing is a bit off-putting -- but the wife (nor am I) quite ready for Linux.

Will also be upgrading my own monitor -- so thinking of a pair of 23" or larger hi-def. Phillips seems to have pretty good reviews?

Comments and recommendations greatly appreciated. smile.png

If the main uses are games, net surfing etc - then perhaps consider an Apple or Android tablet (with Bluetooth keyboard if needed)?

Windows 7 is good for classic PC use such as Office and processor heavy work such as photo/video editing - but tablets do most other tasks better and even Office is available for Android and IOS now ..... and tablets are much more intuitive than the clunky Windows 8 touch screen interface.

If she can use a smart phone then she'll adapt instantly to an Android tablet - and battery life will be better too and she can use it for free Line calls to her family.

There's even a free Android App to enable her to watch Channel 3 Lakorn!

Steer clear of Win 8 for the next year or so. I downgraded from Win 8 to Win 7 premium and recommend Win 7. It's the most stable of the bunch.

I wish people wouldn't write tosh to justify their own ludicrous decisions.

Windows 8 is faster, more stable and more secure than any release preceding it.

Its resource requirements are lower than Windows 7, and this is for the pre-release version.

windows8-chart.jpg

• Like 1

The blogs favour win 7 and so does business.

No offense chicog, but win 8 is not quite there yet and Microsoft are fast tracking a new version.

I am told this by a super geek friend of mine who works for development at MS Seattle

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

There's not a lot wrong with Win8 apart from the hideous and totally unusable Metro/tile interface. However, if you install Classic Shell (free) you can neatly sidestep the absolute nightmare that is Metro/tiles. So Win8 + Classic Shell is just fine. The passage from Win8 to Win8.1 is a complete doddle and is free; it's basically just a service pack such as all Microsoft operating systems have had periodically for years. Cant imagine what all the fuss is about it; a total non-issue.

As for your spec:

"- Small form factor (but not an all-in-one or tablet)

- Modest, but sprightly, CPU

- Decent video board

- 2G RAM (assuming OS cannot utilize more)

- Seagate hybrid HDD, assuming I can find one at TUTCOM

- Good quality power supply"

Makes sense apart from the RAM. 4GB is a practical minimum these days and Win8+ can handle many times that, as can all modern motherboards.

I personally would get a small SSD for the operating system and programmes, and a second regular hard drive for data. From your description of your usage 64GB + 500GB would suit you fine and will run very fast.

I was going to point out that many modern motherboard/processor combinations can handle normal non-gaming video perfectly well and have the necessary sockets etc. But then you mention getting two 23in monitors which probably puts you beyond the scope of embedded graphics. Even so any cheap graphics card with two outputs will do what you need if you arent into gaming. If you come across a motherboard/processor combo with two embedded digital video outputs (they do exist) then that will do you also and will save you a thousand Baht or so.

Touchscreens are totally unusable by any serious person for any productive purpose. Fine for playing games and looking at Facebook though.

Did anyone read the story about Bill Gates being unable to install Win 8 on his computer when he recently returned to his job of chief software architect at Microsoft? Apparently the new CEO tried to help him but they weren't able to get it installed that morning. Don't know if he went back to Win 7 or not. Story was in the Nytimes 3-4 weeks ago.

• Like 1

What exactly is wrong with the old laptop? Does it have identifying details, such as a brand name and model number?

It's a 13" ASUS w/4GB RAM. The problem is not apparent to me. It will not boot and the incident happened after I used the SD Card slot the first time. I removed the HD for security reasons. I will get it repaired and a new HD, but it will only be a backup.

Due to happenings related to work being done on house -- we got a machine yesterday. JIB Computer in TUTCOM. 4 GB RAM, i5 intel 4 core, 240GB SSD, had a spare 500MB standard HD and will use for files. Pretty good graphics card and strong aftermarket P/S.

JIB threw me a couple of curve balls. Trying to set things straight now.

After seeing Viewsonic 29" monitor, couldn't resist. Bought one for myself another for wife (we are both old with less than 20/20 vision). A bit over THB 10k each.

I appreciate all the advice -- well, most of it. ;)

• Like 1

What exactly is wrong with the old laptop? Does it have identifying details, such as a brand name and model number?

It's a 13" ASUS w/4GB RAM. The problem is not apparent to me. It will not boot and the incident happened after I used the SD Card slot the first time. I removed the HD for security reasons. I will get it repaired and a new HD, but it will only be a backup.

Perhaps the boot device order got rearranged in the BIOS. You could check that and if necessary try Startup Repair.

Nothing wrong with Windows 8.1 apart from that ghastly interface, easily removed with a simple freeware download.

Otherwise it's streets ahead of Windows 7.

And you need to remember that it's only the latest iteration of Windows anyway, it wasn't a complete rewrite.

Perhaps the boot device order got rearranged in the BIOS. You could check that and if necessary try Startup Repair.

I played with the BIOS a bit, but never could get and satisfaction. It's not a priority in my current situation. I'm pretty busy adding software to wife's new machine and admiring my new Viewsonic 29" monitor.

Nothing wrong with Windows 8.1 apart from that ghastly interface, easily removed with a simple freeware download.

Otherwise it's streets ahead of Windows 7.

And you need to remember that it's only the latest iteration of Windows anyway, it wasn't a complete rewrite.

Completely agree. 7 was released 5 years ago so most of the coding is 6 or more years old which is a long, long time in the computing world.

I didn't make my recommendation lightly, just succinctly.

I downgraded after more than a week of attempting to upgrade my home PC to Win 8 from Vista which was working fine. It would fail after getting to about 70% through the installation process. I'm patient and lost count of how many attempts I made to to do the upgrade and it left a very sour taste.

IMHO Microsoft rushed an inadequately designed and tested OS to the market in an attempt to catch up with Android and other such touch OS.

They stuffed up and many of us got burnt after expecting the usual rigour to be applied by MS. I can hear some of you laughing with that statement too, but they MS don't normally do such a bad job of a new OS release . Many were also "lucky" with Win 8 and for those of you in this category I'm glad it's working for you.

BTW: I have been using PCs since I bought my first Commodore 64 a LONG time ago and the first IBM PC was released in 1980 or thereabouts. I've worked in corporate IT for longer than I care to think about.

Tosh? I don't think so, look at MS' touted rush to replace Win 8 with Win 9 next year. Must be because Win 8 has been so well received?

I am trying to upgrade my old Acer laptop to Windows 8.1 but it cannot see the CD.

I can see it on my desktop no problem.

After a few tries I realised that my old laptop was a 32 bit and the Window 8.1 was a 64 bit version why in my case is why it won't work.

The reason for updating the old laptop from Win 7 was to use it as a test bed to see the difference.

I have just found out that there is a 32 bit version available but id it worth the effort?

I bought windows 7 professional just before xmas, it came with a free anytime win 8 upgrade, not sure if this is the same worldwide though.

As for computer parts there's almost infinite choices. Depends what price range you are looking at, what you call decent in terms of graphics and how future proof you want it to be.

I didn't make my recommendation lightly, just succinctly.

I downgraded after more than a week of attempting to upgrade my home PC to Win 8 from Vista which was working fine. It would fail after getting to about 70% through the installation process. I'm patient and lost count of how many attempts I made to to do the upgrade and it left a very sour taste.

IMHO Microsoft rushed an inadequately designed and tested OS to the market in an attempt to catch up with Android and other such touch OS.

They stuffed up and many of us got burnt after expecting the usual rigour to be applied by MS. I can hear some of you laughing with that statement too, but they MS don't normally do such a bad job of a new OS release . Many were also "lucky" with Win 8 and for those of you in this category I'm glad it's working for you.

BTW: I have been using PCs since I bought my first Commodore 64 a LONG time ago and the first IBM PC was released in 1980 or thereabouts. I've worked in corporate IT for longer than I care to think about.

Tosh? I don't think so, look at MS' touted rush to replace Win 8 with Win 9 next year. Must be because Win 8 has been so well received?

I am trying to upgrade my old Acer laptop to Windows 8.1 but it cannot see the CD.

I can see it on my desktop no problem.

After a few tries I realised that my old laptop was a 32 bit and the Window 8.1 was a 64 bit version why in my case is why it won't work.

The reason for updating the old laptop from Win 7 was to use it as a test bed to see the difference.

I have just found out that there is a 32 bit version available but id it worth the effort?

I believe at least part of my problems were older (only 4 years) hardware and drivers. I would suggest you wait for Win 9 but even then your hardware may be considered too old. Personally, I don't believe 4 years should be considered too old for private users but we seem to be at a turning point with OS compatibility with hardware due to the touch environment+. It's really up to you. 64 bit will perform better but you could go with 32 bit. Preferable to upgrade your memory to greater than 4gb and use the 64bit upgrade. If you can't upgrade memory go with a 32bit version but if it was me I wouldn't bother in that case.

Here's a clue,

one of my 4 computers was an old Lenovo Netbook, with an Intel Atom CPU and 2 Mb Ram.

Could not get Win 7 to run on it...way tooo slow, but win 8.1 runs OK apart from the screen res limitations.

The beauty of Win 8.1 is is loads fast and exits fast.

It must only load what it needs to survive rather then load everything as in Win 7.( this is amazing coming from me as I was a real Win 7 fan)

Perhaps the guys at MS learned someting from Google and Android, rather than chasing Apple!