I Did A Thai Beer Experiment

Let me tell you also that I wish the Asahi here was a clone of the Japan version but sadly it is not.

there have been rumors from time to time that Bud will be brewing their product here. this will never happen as there are enormous quality control problems that cannot be overcome brewing in Thailand

The BEST beer on the planet needs special, very superior water that can only be found in the US of A! :D

It's only the water in the good ole US of A that can produce such a <deleted> beer... :o

totster tcwozereeng.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah yes, here I sit with an ice cold Corona thinking about all those nasty tasting Leos, heines, changs and sings I used to drink. These Coronas cost me a fortune, about 600 baht/day or 20K per month, which is more than some forumers claim as their monthly Thailand total expense. Next time you drink a thai brew and you shake your head in disgust from the bitter taste, you can think of me, the #1 Thai beer hater of all time

Ain't Thailand a great country! For only 600 Baht a day you can enjoy the true feeling of superiotity. It fills my heart with pride being allowed access to a forum that has such members!

Let me tell you also that I wish the Asahi here was a clone of the Japan version but sadly it is not.

there have been rumors from time to time that Bud will be brewing their product here. this will never happen as there are enormous quality control problems that cannot be overcome brewing in Thailand

The BEST beer on the planet needs special, very superior water that can only be found in the US of A! :D

Says who? Oh an AMERICAN...should have known.

And how on earth are your Guys not able to make Beer? Lack of time? Knowledge? Lack of willingness to learn? Or is it just that your Tastebuds are easy to please? Having had for the past 15 years mostly to deal with Americans i can honestly confirm . You can basically shit on a plate and tell an american it is a special Chocolate Souffle and he will eat it , he likes it , and even praises you. I know you won't be liking what you read but this is the truth. And so it goes on Budweiser it states Beer and best selling all over the world too so you believe it. Worlds Best selling it is because of the sales in the US , not in Foreign Countries!!! The beer that sells most on international terms is mostlikely Heineken.

As far as i remember the only Beer that is produced in the US is from Samuel Adams, Boston. They are immigrants from Germany and produce accordingly to the Purity Law . They also know that it needs time to get a Taste , so called maturity. Budweiser doesn't do that and thats why it is such a pi55 to drink . I do recall on their ads they even mention the freshness about the Beer. So they admit that they sell you pi55 .

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Beer here ,if you have hangovers thats because for the first time in live you felt the impact of Alcohol....something you will never have on a Budweiser as it is a closer relative to water .

rcm :o

And how on earth are your Guys not able to make Beer? Lack of time? Knowledge? Lack of willingness to learn? Or is it just that your Tastebuds are easy to please? Having had for the past 15 years mostly to deal with Americans i can honestly confirm . You can basically shit on a plate and tell an american it is a special Chocolate Souffle and he will eat it , he likes it , and even praises you. I know you won't be liking what you read but this is the truth. And so it goes on Budweiser it states Beer and best selling all over the world too so you believe it. Worlds Best selling it is because of the sales in the US , not in Foreign Countries!!! The beer that sells most on international terms is mostlikely Heineken.

As far as i remember the only Beer that is produced in the US is from Samuel Adams, Boston. They are immigrants from Germany and produce accordingly to the Purity Law . They also know that it needs time to get a Taste , so called maturity. Budweiser doesn't do that and thats why it is such a pi55 to drink . I do recall on their ads they even mention the freshness about the Beer. So they admit that they sell you pi55 .

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Beer here ,if you have hangovers thats because for the first time in live you felt the impact of Alcohol....something you will never have on a Budweiser as it is a closer relative to water .

How hilarious is this? I'm roflmao about this. This guy saw a Sam Adams commercial with the bit about "strict purity" and he fell for it. It's the old "he fell for the sam adams ad trick" as Maxwell Smart would say. Sam Adams is one of the worst tasting beers in America and their laggard sales back that up. There was a fad period when people bought the stuff due to the ad blitz that this guy remembers from his stint in the US. Now the beer sits on shelves and gets stale

Ah yes, here I sit with an ice cold Corona thinking about all those nasty tasting Leos, heines, changs and sings I used to drink. These Coronas cost me a fortune, about 600 baht/day or 20K per month, which is more than some forumers claim as their monthly Thailand total expense. Next time you drink a thai brew and you shake your head in disgust from the bitter taste, you can think of me, the #1 Thai beer hater of all time

Ain't Thailand a great country! For only 600 Baht a day you can enjoy the true feeling of superiotity. It fills my heart with pride being allowed access to a forum that has such members!

There is no desire to feel superior to anyone. There is a desire to have access to a decent imported beer at a fair price. This does not happen in Thailand at this time. I long for the day that this will happen. I cannot drink 6 Coronas per day as much as I would like to. I would go broke flat on my ass doing it. I just popped one open right now anyhow. I wont be popping open any thai brews going forward I can assure you. I think my strategy will be to bring as many imports back as possible from my 3 month visa runs. Next one is tomorrow to Malaysia. Will probably have to settle for the Malaysian brewed Guinness and whatever else I can find there this trip. They have Tiger, not sure if it was the Singapore brewed Malaysian. In either case, it will be worth picking up. I recall that the 7/11s there carry Chang but I wont be grabbing any of that. Bud discontinued importing there as of my last trip. Malaysia should not be carrying that Chang though as a reciprocity thing for Thailand not carrying anything brewed in Malaysia. It just aint right

Oh I noticed something unbelieveable in Thai duty free at the airport my last trip out. They started carrying beer! no not your typical 3pks, 6pks, 12pks or cases you see in other duty free shops around the globe, but rather they carry single cans of sing for over 100 baht ea!!! do they think this stuff is champagne or something? I could not believe it. that stuff must get real stale. I'll be checking dates tomorrow and will report back

Edited by monochaser

And so it goes on Budweiser it states Beer and best selling all over the world too so you believe it. Worlds Best selling it is because of the sales in the US , not in Foreign Countries!!! The beer that sells most on international terms is mostlikely Heineken.

Actually I was joking about Bud and the special water, but you Austrians aren't known for having a sense of humor, now are you?

Funny though, Heineken tastes very much like Budweiser, Coors and other American beers. You are right about that. It is good. :o

I have had it for years. They come to my house every week and deliver a couple of big ones, 15-20 ltrs and a case of small ones. The biggies are 10 bath and the case around 25 bath.

I don't know about qualitycontrol but it tastes like any other water and like the Bud I had by mistake in US long time ago.

I drank Thai beer/rum for 5 years, almost everyday. Beer Lao was for special occassions.

I drank Chang and Singha.

I drank 'Sang Thip' and 'Maekong' rum. I honestly prefered that with coke to Johnnie Walker Black/Red. Of course that is whisky. Never call that Thai rum whisky, it's sacrilege.

Thai beer is good for the price.

BTW, I never got a hangover - DTs yes, but no hangover.

Edited by Neeranam

And so it goes on Budweiser it states Beer and best selling all over the world too so you believe it. Worlds Best selling it is because of the sales in the US , not in Foreign Countries!!! The beer that sells most on international terms is mostlikely Heineken.

you Austrians aren't known for having a sense of humor, now are you?

How would you know? Do you speak/understand German(and understand Austrian dialect)-guess no huh ? 'Cause thats what you gonna need to understand Austrian humor . Also , Generalisations never work ....cause i don't say that Americans are stupid, just because you managed to have Bush a second term, its just a large percentage.

And before you point at Austrians again....look at your Governor in California(well he isn't particular a humoruous chap but funny enough to see that with millions people living in California you couldn't find no better than Arnold.....).

Funny though, Heineken tastes very much like Budweiser, Coors and other American beers. You are right about that. It is good. :o

Once again my Theory was confirmed...many americans have no taste and you can crap on a Plate and make them eat that and they love it 'cause they are unable to taste the difference...just as you just pointed that Heineken tastes the same as Bud, Coors and other American Beers. This couldn't be further from the truth.

rcm :D

Edited by rcm

How hilarious is this? I'm roflmao about this. This guy saw a Sam Adams commercial with the bit about "strict purity" and he fell for it. It's the old "he fell for the sam adams ad trick" as Maxwell Smart would say. Sam Adams is one of the worst tasting beers in America and their laggard sales back that up. There was a fad period when people bought the stuff due to the ad blitz that this guy remembers from his stint in the US. Now the beer sits on shelves and gets stale

Sam adams, sells their Beer not well in US ,thats true . But primarily because of its higher price & lack of marketing.

So why is Budweiser selling a lot? Cheap and loads of Advertisements....

Sam Adams isn't anything great to shout about...but at least you may call it Beer whilst the rest has nothing to do with it.

How would you know? Do you speak/understand German(and understand Austrian dialect)-guess no huh ? 'Cause thats what you gonna need to understand Austrian humor . Also , Generalisations never work ....cause i don't say that Americans are stupid, just because you managed to have Bush a second term, its just a large percentage.

And before you point at Austrians again....look at your Governor in California(well he isn't particular a humoruous chap but funny enough to see that with millions people living in California you couldn't find no better than Arnold.....).

Once again my Theory was confirmed...many americans have no taste and you can crap on a Plate and make them eat that and they love it 'cause they are unable to taste the difference...just as you just pointed that Heineken tastes the same as Bud, Coors and other American Beers. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Sorry, but Arnold is proud to be an American now. We let him in because he actually makes jokes and cracks a grin now and then, and since we are not generalizing here, many people everywhere have no taste and just as soon eat or drink sewage, and if you claim that Heineken tastes vastly different from American lagers, then you have proved conclusively that you are one of them. :D

Funny though, Heineken tastes very much like Budweiser, Coors and other American beers. You are right about that. It is good. :D

Sorry, but Arnold is proud to be an American now.

I would have thought so , since he is Governor in California(is that possible for non US Citizens?)...how do you know he is proud??? :o

We let him in because he actually makes jokes and cracks a grin now and then

Are these all the requirements in order to become Governor in the USA? :D

, and since we are not generalizing here, many people everywhere have no taste and just as soon eat or drink sewage ( well you will find the higher amount of Junkfood consumed more than likely in the US ....right? ), and if you claim that Heineken tastes vastly different from American lagers, then you have proved conclusively that you are one of them. :D - this is your personal opinion and i can't really comment on that as you obviously can't taste the difference.

I think enough said now....

Sorry, but Arnold is proud to be an American now.

I would have thought so , since he is Governor in California(is that possible for non US Citizens?)...how do you know he is proud??? :o

He's not the first Austrian to become Head of State of a foreign country... :D

American beer used to be good. Then the ladies got together and passed the Volstead act and prohibition started. American went from thousands of breweries to almost no breweries. Only the big ones could afford to stay in business making other products till prohibition passed. The big ones of course appealed to the common denominator of American beer drinkers. The Germans and Englishmen who remembered what real beer tasted like in the old country were few and far in between.

Budweiser does have the skill and production capability to make good beer as evidenced by; Amber Bock, Honey Lager, Bare Knuckle, World Lager and Ziegen Bock.

Don’t be too harsh on American’s beer taste. Not all of us are satisfied with the watery kool aid hops beverage that is passed off as Budweiser.

Anchor Steam beer is a good choice for a person who wants to taste what beer used to taste like in America. It has been brewed in California for a long time and retains the original taste of pre prohibition beers.

Beer is coming back in the US there are now 1400 craft breweries and 440 microbrews producing regional specialty beers.

For some good American beers try

Ommegang

Origin: Cooperstown, N.Y.

Style: Abbey ale

Alcohol: 8.5% ABV

Tasting notes: A rich, complex beer, Ommegang is full of textured sweetness. Flavors like chocolate, caramel, burnt orange and licorice. Befitting the style, it's semi-dry, but not overly bitter.

Dogfish Head

90-Minute IPA

Origin: Rehoboth Beach, Del.

Style: Imperial India Pale Ale

Alcohol: 9.0% ABV

Tasting notes: This monster has a big, beautiful aroma -- highly roasted and hugely hopped. The beer has a robust body that's perfectly rounded, dense but not quite syrupy. Flavors dance around like port wine, raisins, with just a bit of citrus. Super spicy finish.

Deschutes Black Butte

Origin: Bend, Ore.

Style: Porter

Alcohol: 5.2% ABV

Tasting notes: A nuanced, accessible beer with tastes and aromas like dark chocolate and roasted coffee. It's thick and rich, though slightly less dense than a stout or some other ultra-thick porters. There's a hint of sweetness, like figs. Not especially bitter, but dry enough.

Stone Ruination IPA

Origin: San Diego, Calif.

Style: India Pale Ale

Alcohol: 7.7% ABV

Tasting notes: Hops, hops, and more spicy hops. Dry from beginning to end, the beer is medium-bodied, striking just the right balance between softness and complexity. A beautiful aroma of herbs and flowers gives way to an especially long-lasting finish.

Flying Dog Doggie Style

Origin: Denver, Colo.

Style: Pale Ale

Alcohol: 5.3% ABV

Tasting notes: Medium bodied, well hopped but not in the overwhelming fashion of an IPA. This is a clean, crisp ale, with aromas like freshly cut grass or the faintest of citrus fruits. It's the perfect thirst quencher for a hot summer's day.

My favorite brew while it was available was Dow Cream Porter. Although the Canadian brewer Dow is the only brewery that actually killed anyone. In 1964 they killed 16 men by putting cobalt sulfate in their beer as a head retention agent (and you think Chang is bad!)

I do however understand why Thai beer tastes like it does. The average Thai has no taste buds. Try eating a pound of cayenne peppers and a pound of garlic a day and see if you can taste anything.

One of my first jobs out of college was as a whisky taster for Seagram’s. When a blended whisky is produced people have to taste the different sprits to assure each batch has the same flavor. We were not allowed to eat any strong foods whatsoever. It became obvious after an Italian dinner I could not taste anything the next day.

It is my theory the reason English beer and whisky is so good is because English food is so bland. I think English taste buds are able to taste things that the average American or Italian can only imagine.

And for a little bit of beer trivia. Budweiser beech wood aging means that thousands of little chips of beech wood are dropped into the aging tank and the yeast adheres to them and drops to the bottom of the tank then the beer is racked off of the top free from yeast. Actually, long ago they used to bottle it at this stage. Now it is filtered to get out the remaining yeast because few beer drinkers like the cloudy brew that used to be the norm for beer because of a little yeast left in the brew.

The problem with this is that the beer has to be artificially carbonated now because no live yeast remains in the bottle to create carbonation (yeast eats sugar and produces yeast poop which is CO2.

Real beer is carbonated by adding a little bit of a fresh batch of beer with live yeast to the, ready for bottling beer, with almost all of the yeast gone before capping.

You can tell if the beer is naturally carbonated by the small bit of white residue in the bottom of the bottle. You can also tell by increased bowel movements and an abundance of gas the next morning. Those little live yeast cells keep on working inside of your intestine.

In case anyone is wondering where the best water comes from to produce beer, it is a simple formula involving PH and minerals and solids and things like that. All breweries adjust and filter their water to the PH levels that are ideal for their beer but the best natural occurring water requiring the least adjustment seems to come from the city water system in St. Louis MO. No I did not make this up. I read it in a journal a long time ago when I ran a brew pub and was brewing my own beer.

I weened myself in recent months from Sing to Chang to Leo to Heine (the big Thai brewed premium :D ) Incredible what happened. I stopped drinking the Thai brewed products a month ago after having forced down an average of 4 bottles/day for a little over a year (the broad spectrum of nasty thai brews, I mean the whole ball of their wax: chang, sing, heine, leo and nasty tiger). OK so I stopped for a week and was shelling huge cash daily to drink Coopers and Bud (went flat broke doing it). So after a week on the wagon from the horrendous thai brews, I reached into my fridge and grabbed a leftover can of Leo and drank it. Whamo, within a few hours, my head felt like someone pounded it several times with a sledge hammer. It was a pounder unlike and pounder I've had in 3 years. I was in excruciating pain, I mean massive. I couldn't take it. This was no ordinary headache. I reached for the ibuprofen (a drug that has never ever failed to rid me of even the worst headache), took 400 mgs and went to sleep. Woke up a few hours later with same fierce pounding headache. I was dying really. I reached again for 400 mg more ibuprofen, went back to sleep, woke up a few hours later headache intact but more severe. Now I couldn't sleep and I was suffering badly. Now the headache qualified as my worst ever; I mean even old reliable ibuprofen didn't work. It was so bad that I thought I might have a brain tumor. Well the headache finally went away 18 hours after drinking the dreaded Leo. Well, up until a year and a half ago or so I never drank Thai beers due to the nasty taste and subsequent changover, now I am vowing from here forward to never do so again. There are some serious chemicals in the brew that my little unplanned experiment shows. I had cleared my body of these chems, then introduced them back and bam, I thought I was going to die!

PS: I went out tonite to Tops and bought a 102 baht Corona (I feel like I've been robbed), it was nice and cold. I opened it right on premisis and promptly downed it. Man it was smooth and refreshing. I put it away in less that 5 minutes and grabbed another and did same. Then I grabbed a 3rd. No nasty aftertaste as I've tolerated for the last year and no headache; it was a true breath of fresh air but I dont like the fact that I feel like someone is raping me when I pay for it. Enough of drinking Thai brews and having every sip go down like a shot of cheap whiskey. There is something deeply wrong with Thai brews. I'm pretty sure they cause cancer. Try the experiment yourself, you'll see

I can empathise with you on this you English hater, you :o

Thai beers are horrendous for bad heads, although Tiger (Singapore) is good... just lose my memory with that stuff, but tastes great. If it came to it though and there was just Chang, Singha and Leo or Heineken on offer, Thai beers all the way. How Heineken became the world's no1 beer is way beyond me... nothing to do with the name of course.

Heineken is <deleted>!!! :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

"The most popular local beer is Singha beer, brewed by Boon Rowd (sic), which accounts for 89% of the beer market. It is said that the beer's distinctive taste is due to the formaldehyde that it contains. When the company removed the chemical (it was no longer needed as bottling technology had been improved), there was such an outcry from Thais that they quickly reincorporated it. Whether or not this story is true, an evening drinking Singha can result in quite a hangover and its alcohol content of 6% must be partly to blame."

monochaser was right! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.