Thai-born British citizen accused of lese majeste by her own parents

webfact

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god. What an unholy mess that is. She will never come back to Thailand now.

These laws have to be changed.

sounds like a C.Y.A. movement to me! especially sincde they said that they were not responsible! she should keep out of thailand for awhile because even though she is a british citizen she can still be put in the slammer!

She's a British citizen residing in London.

She can say what she wishes.

Not according to Thai law. In fact under Thai law, insulting any Royal globally can be punished.

its going to be hard to get her in London and it seems she don't give a toss for Thailand. In fact, on the world stage who really gives a toss for Thailand and its laws?

To most, it is a holiday place. That's it.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

This censorship is absolute rubbish... I know how much most people love the monarchy and the King. Isn't that enough? Those few who for some reason have something against the family should be able to speak freely. But I guess I'm just dreaming again...

In Sweden we have monarchy. Thailand wouldn't believe their ears if they knew what our newspapers likes to write about our Nai Luang.

That being said, all respect to his majesty for being one of the best role models this nation has ever faced.

And Britts would certainly all be shocked and scandalized if they knew what French Canadians (Quebecers) think and say about the Queen of England and the Royal Family.

I very much doubt it actually, Brits have quite a few unprintable opinions on The Windsor Mob, and as for French Canadians, well that's too funny.

Mommy and Daddy Dearest.........Not.

Obviously, other than the ugly family situation, Thailand ought to join the 20th (or 19th or 18th) century and eradicate all laws that prohibit free speech and which criminalize libel or slander. Any institution or person that needs a specific law to avoid disrespectful commentary doesn't deserve any of the protection the law is allegedly designed to provide.

Not according to Thai law. In fact under Thai law, insulting any Royal globally can be punished.

Well thai law has no power in the UK as UK law does not reconize archaic laws such as leste majeste she can say whatever she wants and thai law can do nothing to her unless she comes to thailand outside of that they can whistle dixie because they cant do a damn thing about what she or anyone else says about the royalty.

People can insult the Queen of England all they want they have the freedom to do that its does not change the fact that the UK monarchy is still well loved by the people and a few people that dislike them for any reason makes no difference but they have that freedom to choose how they feel about it.

On the Graham Norton show on the BBC he has a big rug with a pop art pic of the British Queen and he and the guests walk on it to get to their seats etc. My wife was quite shocked and slightly amused at the huge chasm like cultural difference.

It's not just about slander, it's about any comment that isn't deemed appropriate to any Thai citizen, who takes offence.

I can say that my father looks very old and frail, but I can't say..................

I can say I wonder how much longer dad will live for, but I can't say.......................

The permutations are endless.

This censorship is absolute rubbish... I know how much most people love the monarchy and the King. Isn't that enough? Those few who for some reason have something against the family should be able to speak freely. But I guess I'm just dreaming again...

In Sweden we have monarchy. Thailand wouldn't believe their ears if they knew what our newspapers likes to write about our Nai Luang.

That being said, all respect to his majesty for being one of the best role models this nation has ever faced.

And Britts would certainly all be shocked and scandalized if they knew what French Canadians (Quebecers) think and say about the Queen of England and the Royal Family.

Not really. Why should the Brits care what the Quebecers think? Just a few million French speakers huddled together on the wrong side of the American border.

I very much doubt she gives a toss, she is a British Citizen, living in a country that allows freedom of speech. She's not likely to return here anytime soon.

Freedom when it is against the Thai Monarchy. If it is against UK or USA than there isn't that much freedom....see the Snowden situation where they threatened the newspapers

Please direct your point to critizing the national leader, thus the lese majeste change versus criticizing the U.S. President or British Royals. If you then want to discuss matters of national security, that is a different matter. Charges against Snowden's actions are not the same as lese majeste charge abuse in Thailand. Methinks you do not have a grasp of what freedom of speech means in the western cultures.

I'm a newbie, but from what I've seen and heard the Royal family are the last people in Thailand

to cause problems, especially at the moment!

For the daughter to go for the Royals it has to be the parents...

Maybe the parents want her (force her) to marry a Thai -

so the daughter is just getting back at them.

Good luck kid.

this law is for 200 years ago and should be abolished - it's a tool of the Ammart to control Thais

as for the parents they are a disgrace

the girl is in "freedom" where anyone can say what they like - and WHY? because the British people are not afraid of opinions and does that hurt the Royals in the UK? not a bit

do not be afraid of commentary and opinions - unless of course you have something to hide

The whole concept of "Lese majeste" is medieval and should be outlawed itself.

We could have a debate about that, except that you seem quite unfit for that.

Lese majeste laws exist worldwide, and there is a reason for them. The reason is that unlike me and thee, a head of state (including a monarch) and his/her family do not have access to the normal libel/slander/defamation laws, and that an extraordinary law should protect them. NO country with lese majeste laws among the many countries accepts that the law is medieval or has any important movement to abolish it.

Many laws are abused all over the world, and there can be no doubt that some people abuse lese majeste laws in Thailand. So is the criminal defamation law abused. Two journalists in Phuket attest to that right this week.

But the argument against legal abuse is not to delete the law; it is to amend it where necessary and enforce it properly, fairly and equally. BY LAW the Thai monarch does not have recourse to the standard protection against defamation, so there is a law - as in dozens of other countries - to account for that. In the United States, the world's leader in free speech, there are special laws protecting both the status and work of the head of state. Suggesting they just be thrown out is ridiculous.

It will be a great day when both the Thai head of state and his subjects have similar protection under well-written and properly, equally enforced laws. You don't sound rational when you write that the law should be totally abandoned.

dozens of countries? name them

UK we can say what we like - parody - take photos etc.

do not be AFRAID of this 'unless' there are 'other' reasons - the UK monarchy is strong and secure - there is NO basis for keeping this 'Dark Ages' law

So hold on then, if she has committed a crime against a Thai law, that is a "global" Thai law, so can expect her to be extradited from the UK to Thailand anytime soon to face charges? Correct?

Will be interesting to see that go through the UK, then European legal system.

Her parents are getting attacked from people in Thailand, due to her actions. basically the parents are protecting themselves. we dont know what threats they have had against them but im pretty sure its ugly. some of these people can get fanatical. sad all round

I agree with your supposition. They may or many not give a hoot. But they have to live here and if they are being harassed by fellow citizens.....and possibly embarrassed besides, what are they to do? Its self-preservation for themselves and family members in Thailand.

If found guilty for disrespect, I hope she go to jail to the limit of the punishment. 5 years for every disrespect. That will be good for her. Thailand do not have such disrespectful people. We all love the king more than our parents. Don't believe me, just ask anything Thai you know.

You are a fine example of the problem with this country.

If found guilty for disrespect, I hope she go to jail to the limit of the punishment. 5 years for every disrespect. That will be good for her. Thailand do not have such disrespectful people. We all love the king more than our parents. Don't believe me, just ask anything Thai you know.

Brainwashed at 7.45pm every evening.Most Thai's dont even know where he was born.

You are a fine example of the problem with this country.

I thought he was Indian, but maybe I was wrong.

This incident has managed to give the girl so much publicity which she obviously wants with her somewhat extreme views.

I sort of understand why the parents did what they did but I reckon it has backfired big-time.

Anyone expecting a Facebook closure in Thailand as a result of this?

Edited by madmitch

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Given that it's pretty much illegal to profess anything but that, and the possibility of being charged and jailed for doing otherwise, you probably won't be able to get useful info by asking anyone. That's what happens when dissenting opinion is criminalized.

very sad case but I can justify the parents. what they should do if there daughter become a traitor?

easy to imagine how she was brainwashed by degrading decadent leftist ideas in London which made her to bash monarchy - one of the values of her nation...

one more souls corrupted by decadent West...

it reminds me these Christian colleges in Thailand. Poor families save money for decades to give a "Western education" to their children, but these colleges manipulate them to betray there faith, implying that the adoption of Christianity leads to Western prosperity... What a joke...

so this parents get back an alien instead of there children...

this is how Western propaganda works.

Edited by Jeffreyake

Since when is there Thai law in London? How irrelevant.

If I defame any member or "global" royalty, anyone can file a complaint against me in Thailand. If I come to Thailand, I would expect then have to answer the complaint in Thailand.

It's crazy, but its true. Of course there is no Thai law in UK,but if and when she comes back to Thailand, she will be in trouble. This is the bizarre parallel universe of the Thai legal system.

very sad case but I can justify the parents. what they should do if there daughter become a traitor?

easy to imagine how she was brainwashed by degrading decadent leftist ideas in London which made her to bash monarchy - one of the values of her nation...

it reminds me these Christian colleges in Thailand. Poor families save money for decades to give a "Western education" to their children, but these colleges manipulate them to betray there faith, implying that the adoption of Christianity leads to Western prosperity... What a joke...

Cuckoo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Since when is there Thai law in London? How irrelevant.

If I defame any member or "global" royalty, anyone can file a complaint against me in Thailand. If I come to Thailand, I would expect then have to answer the complaint in Thailand.

It's crazy, but its true. Of course there is no Thai law in UK,but if and when she comes back to Thailand, she will be in trouble. This is the bizarre parallel universe of the Thai legal system.

Lot's of countries charge and prosecute their citizens for actions taken in other countries - even when no charges have been laid in the other country.

Slow down Jeffry. I think she got probably got all her propaganda from the an internet stream.

Not too many immigrant discussion groups talking about removing monarchies in Bangkok. Funny though, wouldn't she just have taken an oath to the Queen of England to take citizenship?