Thai/Uk child entering Thailand on UK passport

DDuval

Need advice

English guy with half English/Thai daughter wanting to enter and leave Thailand on UK passport

Reason being tired of the questions and red tape I have to go through with Thai immigration

every time I want to take my daughter out of Thailand. For reference daughter lives in the UK with me and only returns to Thailand

for 2 weeks holidays to visit her mother 4 times a year.

Can anybody advise if this will cause issues if I enter and leave Thailand on the UK passport.

Finally mother dosen't travel with us. Just me and my Duaghter

Can anybody advise if this will cause issues if I enter and leave Thailand on the UK passport.

No. Will probably easier for you.

Really Hope so...

My Daughter has the same surname as me. Looks like me. Yet still get the same crap....What you doing with her, why you taking her out of Thailand, have you got letter from mother. After that the officer calls his boss....in total an extra 15 - 30 minutes of stressful crap. Simply not needed every time we visit Thailand prior to a long flight back to the UK

Edited by DDuval

Really Hope so...

My Daughter has the same surname as me. Looks like me. Yet still get the same crap....What you doing with her, why you taking her out of Thailand, have you got letter from mother. After that the officer calls his boss....in total an extra 15 - 30 minutes of stressful crap. Simply not needed every time we visit Thailand prior to a long flight back to the UK

Letter from the mother, you have that ?

Really Hope so...

Letter from the mother, you have that ?

Yes have it, doesn't stop all the questions though.

You'll always get questions. But your daughter is travelling on a British passport with her father.

She arrived on British passport with a visa on arrival stamp and leaving on a British passport with dad.

Keep it simple but expect mild interrogation at each departure.

Nothing to worry about.

You'll always get questions. But your daughter is travelling on a British passport with her father.

She arrived on British passport with a visa on arrival stamp and leaving on a British passport with dad.

Nothing to worry about.

Sorry your advice is to use the British passport for Arrival and departure during 2 weeks visits

thx

DDuval, on 19 Apr 2014 - 21:53, said:
wooloomooloo, on 19 Apr 2014 - 21:06, said:

Nothing to worry about.

Sorry your advice is to use the British passport for Arrival and departure during 2 weeks visits

thx

Yes.

Use the Thai passport. She is Thai and should be afforded her rights to enter Thailand as a Thai. But I am biased as I'm a Thai dual citizen myself.

Lets you use the faster Thai passport queue as well :) .

But I also have 3 daughters so just take it for granted that I might have the same issues though (never have and I've flown internationally with my eldest 2 or 3 times.)

So take it as them simply doing their job and be grateful that they are. I always carry 'the letter' which includes the better half's phone number and I bring along the birth certificate as a back up as it has my name on it as the father.

Arrive a bit earlier at the airport to take into account there might be this delay. And to think about it, I'm not sure simply travelling on he Brit passport is going to prevent anything one way or another. If they want to check, they'll check, regardless.

To be honest id be more worried about having the same issues on the Brit side of things as well either departing or on arrival.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

No problems whatsoever, you do not even have to apply for a visa for you and the child, if you both are only visiting Thailand for 2 week periods as tourists.

Only need to book your flight, show your UK passports and the same on the return journey back to the UK.

As regarding the questioning, this unfortunately is an issue of the times and can no longer be avoided. It`s the same for all us us, sometimes they may just wave you through and at other times you may get stopped and asked a few questions. Best to always arrive early at the airport, just in case.

How old is the child?

I curious (please excuse me) ... what do you do for those 2 weeks?

I presume that you and the child's mother are not together anymore?

Child is 5 in Sept. Me and previous Thai wife divorced. Visit Thailand to see my current wife and our baby

• Like 1

Use the Thai passport. She is Thai and should be afforded her rights to enter Thailand as a Thai. But I am biased as I'm a Thai dual citizen myself.

Lets you use the faster Thai passport queue as well smile.png .

But I also have 3 daughters so just take it for granted that I might have the same issues though (never have and I've flown internationally with my eldest 2 or 3 times.)

So take it as them simply doing their job and be grateful that they are. I always carry 'the letter' which includes the better half's phone number and I bring along the birth certificate as a back up as it has my name on it as the father.

Arrive a bit earlier at the airport to take into account there might be this delay. And to think about it, I'm not sure simply travelling on he Brit passport is going to prevent anything one way or another. If they want to check, they'll check, regardless.

To be honest id be more worried about having the same issues on the Brit side of things as well either departing or on arrival.

thx for that. Being honest i'm very biased about the UK side. That's why my daughter is being raised and schooled in the UK. Lived in Thailand for many years and in my humble opinion its good for single man but for Family I found it to much trouble in regards to schools and driving safety

No problems whatsoever, you do not even have to apply for a visa for you and the child, if you both are only visiting Thailand for 2 week periods as tourists.

Only need to book your flight, show your UK passports and the same on the return journey back to the UK.

As regarding the questioning, this unfortunately is an issue of the times and can no longer be avoided. It`s the same for all us us, sometimes they may just wave you through and at other times you may get stopped and asked a few questions. Best to always arrive early at the airport, just in case.

Good advice, UK passport its is. Will provide update after travel next month

Lets you use the faster Thai passport queue as well smile.png .

thx for that. Being honest i'm very biased about the UK side. That's why my daughter is being raised and schooled in the UK. Lived in Thailand for many years and in my humble opinion its good for single man but for Family I found it to much trouble in regards to schools and driving safety

All relevant issues but my main point is that at the airports they can and do take people smuggling seriously regardless of passport.

I think Samran is wrong

If she is in Thailand on a Thai Passport she has in effect no UK protection, for what it is worth.

We used to enter Thailand on Thai passports and leave on UK ones

Now, for short stays, we enter Thailand and leave Thailand on UK passports. If you do that the Thai 'authorities' have no jurisdiction. There is no cross referencing of the UK/Thai Passport databases. If we want to stay longer we get visas in the UK passports for Thailand.

We have had some serious problems with 'dual nationality'

If the child/children were born in Thailand it is always possible you may have a problem. I just say, nowadays, never mind they have a Thai name, their mother is in the UK. They are UK citizens. If you use a Thai passport you are surrendering your immunity.

as a father i alway feel indignat about this

in the uk its sexism in thailand its racism

my wife can leave the uk with our child without any questions because she is the mother

she can leave thailand without any questions because she is thai

but when i leave its another matter

• Like 1

my wife can leave the uk with our child without any questions because she is the mother

My son was born in Thailand but has been raised here in the uk for the last four and a half years by myself as a single dad, me and his mother are now divorced but I have never been stopped or questioned about my boy and I only use his uk passport and he has my surname, but as suggested to the op always best to carry a copy of your child's birth cert or proof they reside full time in the uk

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think Samran is wrong

If she is in Thailand on a Thai Passport she has in effect no UK protection, for what it is worth.

We used to enter Thailand on Thai passports and leave on UK ones

Now, for short stays, we enter Thailand and leave Thailand on UK passports. If you do that the Thai 'authorities' have no jurisdiction. There is no cross referencing of the UK/Thai Passport databases. If we want to stay longer we get visas in the UK passports for Thailand.

We have had some serious problems with 'dual nationality'

If the child/children were born in Thailand it is always possible you may have a problem. I just say, nowadays, never mind they have a Thai name, their mother is in the UK. They are UK citizens. If you use a Thai passport you are surrendering your immunity.

Using a foreign passport is not in any way mechanism to grant you immunity or additional protection from the laws of a foreign country. It only entitles to you access to consular assistance in the first instance and not a get out of jail free card.

My son was born in Thailand but has been raised here in the uk for the last four and a half years by myself as a single dad, me and his mother are now divorced but I have never been stopped or questioned about my boy and I only use his uk passport and he has my surname, but as suggested to the op always best to carry a copy of your child's birth cert or proof they reside full time in the uk

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I will be using the UK passports this time. can verify been stopped every time with Thai ones. Will report back what happens. thx