Prasat preah vihear temple

bbabythai

If your asking about GPS 14.390611, 104.680333 (Preah Vihear (Khao Phra Wihan) Yes it is open but only to non Thais . and only from the Cambodian side. You cannot enter from Thailand. You can get a taxi from the Chon Chom broder crossing (O'Smach) to Preah Vihear aproxitmaly 180 km east of the crossing.

Edited by khwaibah

And no Thais are allowed, from whichever side they come from

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Since no one can legal enter from the Thais side Cambodian forces would shoot you with out asking nationality, And the Thai army hast just closed access to the Khao Phra Wihan National Park.

Si Sa Ket Nobody allowed in Khao Phra Wihan National Park Si Sa Ket, 12 April 2014 (
Nobody allowed in Khao Phra Wihan National Park

Si Sa Ket, 12 April 2014 (NNT) - The Director of Khao Phra Wihan National Park has revealed that there has been a increasing incidence of illegal logging of Siamese Rosewood trees, and other valuable trees in the Khao Phra Wihan National Park, Si Sa Ket province. Siamese Rosewood is expensive and there is a lot of demand for it.

A criminal organization persuades local people with money and drugs to log the trees for them. The process starts with local people going into the National Park for mushrooms, bamboo shoots, or animals for food. There they can observe national park officials.

The illegal logging of Siamese Rosewood trees is of critical concern since the logging involves an organization of Thai locals, people in a neighboring country, and certain unidentified armed troops. Khao Phra Wihan National Park has adopted a strict procedure to suppress illegal logging as a matter of urgency.

Therefore, it is now prohibited to go into the national park, in the area ranging from Chong Kam Phaka, Phu Pha Mok district to Don Tuan Khmer Ruins area, Kantharalak district, Si Sa Ket province.

If it's essential to enter the vicinity, one must be fully authorized by the Director of Khao Phra Wihan National Park for each and every entrance. If anyone enters this closely restricted area without permission, National Park officials will immediately proceed to take legal action

nnt

One can also cross in Phu Singh district to Along Veng, much closer by than Osmach. Public transport to Sra Em is no problem.

The crossing your referring to is GPS 14.34591, 104.062822 Chong Sa Ngom and yes it is viable but only closer for those that are east of SiSaKet.

One can also cross in Phu Singh district to Along Veng, much closer by than Osmach. Public transport to Sra Em is no problem.

Chong sa Ngam being the Cambodian border name I believe...... Cho-am.

The Thai immigration stamps are Phusing.

In my opinion a much more pleasant road than from Chong Chom.

Chong sa Ngam being the Cambodian border name I believe...... Cho-am.

The Thai immigration stamps are Phusing.

In my opinion a much more pleasant road than from Chong Chom.

Personally I would go to Siem Reap and take in Angkor Wat and do a one day tour out of SR to PV. Pub Street alone is a great reason. Tourist are only spending a few hours then driving on to SR and remember NO THAIS ALLOWED.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718585-preah-vihear-overnight-tourist-stays-a-hard-sell-angkor-ready-for-surge-of-tourists/

• Like 1

The crossing in Phu Singh district is the closest in any event. More importantly, perhaps, one can escape the speeding Vans on the Surin-Osmach road.

While the road to the Phu Singh crossing is not as good it offers nice views and is hardly frequented. This, however, poses some problem for tourists without own transport. On three occasions I was lucky enough to get free lifts by locals who went out of their way. Really nice people in this area. The border is well connected with Along Veng, no problems there.

The road to Preah Vehar/Sra Em is in very good shape like the last kilometers to the temple are. There is also a nice small new museum on the way from Sra Em to the mountain. After leaving Sra Em it is on the left side of the road.

Sra Em has cheap, very clean and fully adequate accomodation and food on offer. The best is to spend a night there and be at 8 AM at the foot of the mountain when the ticket office opens. The alternative would be to be up earlier, drive to the bottom of the stairs and walk up. There is a new well developed wooden stairway up the mountain. It is along the old procession stairs and partly uses the original stairs. Very nice wood and silence there.

There is another smaller temple at the bottom of mountain, maybe 300 - 400 meters from the ticket office. Overgrown but neat. Worthwhile a few extra minutes.

For those being afraid of missing out on the pubstreet nightlife - well dont be. The influx of military to the area has turned Sra Em into a small place where night spots out number any other form of economic activity. I hear a buffalo roaring now :))

• Like 1