What does it take to make a person react to aggressive and rude behaviour

n210mp

Well, the consequences can be severe for what, in the after action analysis, was an inconsequential irritation blown out of proportion. Not unlike the road rage in the US, where letting the other <deleted> know he is one, can get your face shot off.

Reading the news, that's a real possibility here in Thailand as well for even less. I'm also mindful of delayed retribution and having to look over your shoulder because that's where it'll come from. Almost like fighting a Mexican when I was growing up in school. If you beat his arse one to one and caused him embarrassment, it ain't over yet. You'll have one more go with 3 to 5 of his mates, at a time and place of their choosing.

Call it no balls if you like, but I keep myself to myself because life is cheap here and as a farang, I'm already at a disadvantage. In some cases, I use my height and body language, and sometimes even the right kind of "look" keeps things in check. As I mentioned before, turning their own superficial politeness back around on them sometimes works too.

• Like 1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-snip-

I would like to hear something like;

"Sometimes a man just has to do the right thing and bugger the consequences"

I live in hope.

OK, So just use one of your great big hands and grab the scrawny Thai by the throat and throw them across the room.

Sorted.

PS It's a lot easier to do if it's an older woman.

PPS It's Thailand doood. Roll with it.

• Like 2

I have learnt a new technique for tailgaters while driving...if anyone interest to know this new and very successful technique, just ask.

Please tell me

ok ok....I turn my rear vision mirrors up now.

Much easier to drive now, 50% less idiots about.

why not go the whole hog and close your eyes?

• Like 1

"What does it take to make a person react to aggressive and rude behaviour" ... well, for me, it takes "aggressive and rude behaviour" ... something which, for me, is missing from your OP.

Sounds like a bit of argy bargy to me.

Oh ... you can speak Thai fluently? ... "Hearing Thai speak disrespectfully about me" .. so that would take some considerable time in the country ... and you are just now (or still) complaining ... facepalm.gif

'Thai population that it is OK to disrespect a Farang in these ways' ... sounds a bit of good ole' "White supremacist" to me.

May I ask, how long have you lived here?

Are you from the UK? (queuing mentality)

That will just about do it for my questions.

Cheers

I am from the UK, been here a while, enlighten me on my queuing behaviour...............smile.png

Well, transam, I've never met you, but I know you have lived a long time in Thailand so difficult to comment of your personal queuing behaviour.

When I lived in the UK and it's fairly similar in Australia, there is a distinct queue, a order of process. There is the head of the queue and that usually signals the person waiting the longest to be served and thus, an orderly queue forms behind him/her.

It's a civil arrangement and queue jumping is frowned upon.

In Thailand, the system doesn't have the same rigour. People 'push-in' if they see an opportunity. Cars sneak up the break-down lane to bypass a long queue of cars and expect to be let in when they reach the 'choke point'.

Drivers doing U-Turns often from a second lane, blocking traffic to 'jump the queue'.

All those Thai actions above, to a person born in the UK who has never witnessed that before, it might come as a shock.

Heaven forbid the OP ever had a Chinese tour Group descend upon him at a Food Buffet ... they would make the Thai system seem very civilized.

Just my thoughts ... laugh.png

but whats the response from other Thais to their fellow countrymen when they do this? I have seen people "not let in" when they try and do this in their cars.

• Like 1

When I lived in the UK ... queue jumping is frowned upon.

In Thailand, the system doesn't have the same rigour. People 'push-in' if they see an opportunity. Cars sneak up the break-down lane to bypass a long queue of cars and expect to be let in when they reach the 'choke point'.

Drivers doing U-Turns often from a second lane, blocking traffic to 'jump the queue'.

but whats the response from other Thais to their fellow countrymen when they do this? I have seen people "not let in" when they try and do this in their cars.

Most of the time they let them in.

In the three months of driving here this year, I've seen only one obvious incident of not being 'allowed in'.

Taxi drivers are amongst the most frequent offenders of sneaking in.

It seems a little polite aggression is accepted in the traffic driving.

Personally, I don't like it, but I'm smart enough to know that as a Westerner in Thailand, no action on my behalf will change the situation.

If someone waved the magic wand and we acted in unison and 'taught the Thais a thing or two about their shoddy driving habits and insisted on some politeness and manners as we remember them' as white westerns we would then be targeted by the Thais as ignorant Farang drivers.

Much the same as we are targeted or seen (by some) in some other areas such as the walking ATM.

So, I simply try and understand the Thai mentality to driving or cueing etc, make the necessary adjustments to lead a happy and peacefull life here. When I return back to the West, I readjust.

Flexibility is a key for me.

Retain your core values, but be mindful of the country, in this case Thailand, that you are staying in, make some minor adjustments ... and believe me, they are minor.

Personally, I don't know how I'd go in places like the UAE etc ... maybe, even for me, that would be a leap in faith I don't think I could make.

• Like 2

"Sometimes the consequences of a reaction are what are needed to further the education of this occasionally backward Country. "

And a rapid means of entering a Thai jail !

What a silly comment !

Another weak liver!

Didn't you read my OP where I distinctly said I didn't want Thai apologist answering my genuine post?

I have included a question mark for those unable to distinguish between rhetorical and direct questions,

For your information "the pool" ( what a name! Where do they get them from+++++Not a question, there is no question mark there!)

For your information There are myriad ways of entering a Thai jail and most of them apparently when innocent of any charges,

especially if the means to shall we say pay off the right people are there so dont lecture me about your lack of balls in a situation where as a Man you should not turn the other cheek or are you Christian?

The point that I am trying to get an answer to is what does it take for those who are content to let all kinds of abuses and offences against them actually say enough is enough bite the bullet and not necessarily in a manner that would get them into any jail!

I would like to hear something like;

"Sometimes a man just has to do the right thing and bugger the consequences"

I live in hope.

Sometimes fugghetabout it, means fugghetabout it

you are headed for a stabbing, likely in the back, from a 16 year old, who doesnt adhere to your nonsensical rules about how he should behanve in his own country,

and, since one or more of his cousins is a police officer expect him to smle as you are wheeled away, bleeding to death

• Like 2

Reply from TV Amateur Behavioral Psychologist: What kind of person starts a Topic on an open forum and then dictates on what basis the vox populi can acceptably respond to said topic and then further states that he distinctly said that he didn't want Thai apologists answering HIS genuine post?

Me! In answer to your off topic post.

But then again you know where the ignore button is dont you or are you making a valid point that OPs shouldn't ask for a particular type of poster to not participate in a thread.

Seems to me that you are not addressing the thread at all and unable to make a sensible post pertaining to the question in that post you deliberately take the thread off topic in a preamble making no informative answer to the question askeed in the OP.

Now please read the post again and keep your answer to the topic in the thread.

OOps there I go again telling people what to do....So sorry.

Thanks to all who posted in last nights OP and most of all to those who understood the need to "vent" now and again on a forum such as this.

Of course the "Common sense approach" mooted by those who really advised "backing off" are 100% right and their words spot on.

I apologize to those who I may have wound up a bit but like I said in one of my posts "Its all done in the best possible taste!"

• Like 2

^ think someone has tickets on himself.

Thanks showbags for your qualified remark.

that is you are obviously qualified as one of TVs " amateur psychologists"

For those who may, like me didn't have a clue as to what you were saying about me I have provided a link.

You can thank me later.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_tickets_on_yourself_mean?#slide=1

And yes thinking about what you said I take it in the best possible taste and must admit to there being grain of truth.

Thanks to all who posted in last nights OP and most of all to those who understood the need to "vent" now and again on a forum such as this.

Of course the "Common sense approach" mooted by those who really advised "backing off" are 100% right and their words spot on.

I apologize to those who I may have wound up a bit but like I said in one of my posts "Its all done in the best possible taste!"

thai visa forum is the hub of depression, excuse me while I jump off this balcony

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Had to read the open twice to make sure he wasn't talking about Houston, LA, or Chicago. I'd rather drive in Thailand, than those three cities. Want to talk about rude? Go to New York City.

the cities you mention are all easier to walk in the middle of the road and live than any of the best roads in Thailand

Had to read the open twice to make sure he wasn't talking about Houston, LA, or Chicago. I'd rather drive in Thailand, than those three cities. Want to talk about rude? Go to New York City.

Maybe you should have read the post a third or even fourth time and Why talk about the OP in the third tense, that's rude and further how do you know his or her gender?

For your information I have driven in New York and although its wild, fast and frenetic especially in the jams, there is an order about it which I also find similar to Bangkok.

If you had omitted the phrase "I'd rather drive in Thailand" then your post would have some relevancy to the thread but To be honest the thread was not about driving but about something else that you may have missed the point of.

Regards from "he" ............................."he" ....... that's me of course N210Mp but it should be He with a capitol H just to confirm Showbags verdict on me having "tickets on myself!

I often wonder about it. What does it take to make me react? They say there are two things that stop a man from reacting. Fear and common sense. Me, I cant blame fear. If i fear something, i end up forcing myself to do what i fear anyway. What always stops me is common sense.

The other day I was riding home and stopped at a red light. There was a truck behind me with a thai woman in it. I didn't notice that the light turned green so she thought that she would let me know about it by rear ending my bike. She did it intentionally. She was slowly rolling forward until she hit my rear tire. She might have sounded the horn but she just had to be an idiot. My first thought was to get off the bike and drag her out of the car by her hair and show her what it's like when I am pissed. She could have done nothing. I was wearing a full face helmet and had no license plate as the bike was new. I would have been long gone before anybody could do anything. But then I thought: come on. You are better than that. Don't waste your time on a b..... like this. She is retarded and that's her problem. So I took off without doing anything.

So what does it take? I think as one progresses as a man, it takes more and more to make him react.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for a truly honest and candid reply to the OP

By my own perception and experience of more than 3 years here.......If you do not speak a good Thai, and do not understand Thai customs and way of life, always you will be at risk in get "bad" responses and attitude. Thai people may agree or accept your attitude just in appearance, but not sincerely, sometimes just because cannot even understand what you say. In response, they just will do and act without any consideration to you.......and sometimes very hard...if your attitude was offensive for them in some ways.

And that, may happens in any culture, even between western cultures. Ask a North American it's opinion about South Americans.. or a German its opinions about Italians...

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

I often wonder about it. What does it take to make me react? They say there are two things that stop a man from reacting. Fear and common sense. Me, I cant blame fear. If i fear something, i end up forcing myself to do what i fear anyway. What always stops me is common sense.

The other day I was riding home and stopped at a red light. There was a truck behind me with a thai woman in it. I didn't notice that the light turned green so she thought that she would let me know about it by rear ending my bike. She did it intentionally. She was slowly rolling forward until she hit my rear tire. She might have sounded the horn but she just had to be an idiot. My first thought was to get off the bike and drag her out of the car by her hair and show her what it's like when I am pissed. She could have done nothing. I was wearing a full face helmet and had no license plate as the bike was new. I would have been long gone before anybody could do anything. But then I thought: come on. You are better than that. Don't waste your time on a b..... like this. She is retarded and that's her problem. So I took off without doing anything.

So what does it take? I think as one progresses as a man, it takes more and more to make him react.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Fearless warrior alert....cheesy.gif

Maybe you should have read the post a third or even fourth time and Why talk about the OP in the third tense, that's rude and further how do you know his or her gender?

For your information I have driven in New York and although its wild, fast and frenetic especially in the jams, there is an order about it which I also find similar to Bangkok.

If you had omitted the phrase "I'd rather drive in Thailand" then your post would have some relevancy to the thread but To be honest the thread was not about driving but about something else that you may have missed the point of.

Regards from "he" ............................."he" ....... that's me of course N210Mp but it should be He with a capitol H just to confirm Showbags verdict on me having "tickets on myself!

Third tense? Also, I never said anything about driving in NYC. The pronoun " he" in the absence of a qualifier is acceptable, as would "she." I had hoped your comprehension level was higher.

And, since I was stating comparable differences, as implied by your thread,in an open forum, I was not being rude. Merely stating my opinion.

Third tense? Also, I never said anything about driving in NYC. The pronoun " he" in the absence of a qualifier is acceptable, as would "she." I had hoped your comprehension level was higher.

And, since I was stating comparable differences, as implied by your thread,in an open forum, I was not being rude. Merely stating my opinion.

if you think NYC people are aggressive and rude to strangers,

then you know nothing about NY or its people,

New York people are considered some of the friendliest in the world

• Like 1