Looking for a deep fat fryer

Mobi

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can you buy beef dripping in Thailand? Best for the Sunday roast.

yes !!! yorkies the butchers sell beef & pork drippings

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh yes!! Mobi could sell dripping cakes (pork dripping sandwiches) with his chips. Nothing easier to make. Beware of temperature issues; dripping should not be too runny.

I use Rice Bran oil for all frying but I thought maybe there is a better one for Frying chips etc.

I boil the potatoes first to par cook them for chips, just the way my dear ole mum taught me.

Your mum was right. That first oil-fry at low temperature is basically the same as par-boiling them. But doing it in oil does mean that you don't get a huge rush of boiling water when you finally put them into the hotter oil.

Rice bran oil has a high smoke point so should be fine. I've seen it in Makro and I think the price was about the same as canola but I've never tried it. Does it have much flavour?

Here I tend to use just olive oil or canola or sunflower, depending on what I'm doing.

I like the rice Bran oil because no yukky flavor like palm oil, its a bit more expensive than the other oils but still cheaper than Olive.

Thanks for that. Maybe thats why Norm had a heart attack. Bread & Dripping, pepper & salt....Love it.

Thanks for that. Maybe thats why Norm had a heart attack. Bread & Dripping, pepper & salt....Love it.

what about the jelly.

I like the rice Bran oil because no yukky flavor like palm oil, its a bit more expensive than the other oils but still cheaper than Olive.

Right. I'll get some of that next time I go to Makro. I like the flavour of olive oil on things like pasta, pizza and (non-Thai) salads, and I put a splash in my bread dough, but it's much too strong for frying.

Rice Bran oil is one of the lowest saturated fat oils around, 18%, and with a relatively high smoke point, so better than Canola for frying. The foreign name brands are very expensive, but there's a Thai brand that's as inexpensive as sunflower oil. The catch is it's only labelled in Thai, you have to look very carefully to see the (100% Refined Rice Bran Oil) text in English.

post-1539-0-53994700-1398232349_thumb.jp

Palm oil is one of the worst wrt saturated fat, 41%, avoid it if you can.

What is beef/pork "drippings" anyway? Something akin to "scratchings" ?

I had a look in Makro earlier today. They have at least three brands/sorts of rice bran oil. Prices vary from about 60B/lit to about 120B/lit, apparently according to the level of oryzanol. The cheap one had about 2200 and the more expensive about 5000, and as I didnt know what it was I thought I would check first and buy on my next trip.

These people seem to rate the oil highly enough http://www.honestfoods.com/topgriloil.html so I will definitely try it. Currently I dont do any frying and so canola is suitable for what I do. Quite tempted by that hot air fryer though and for that the rice bran oil would seem to be ideal.

What is beef/pork "drippings" anyway? Something akin to "scratchings" ?

Technically dripping (usually from beef) is the fat that accumulates (drips) from a roast. It is quite similar to lard (usually from pork) which is rendered fat not from a roast. Both are very tasty for cooking with but not exactly top of the healthy eating list.

Scratchings are fried/roast bits of pig skin (aka crackling). Crispy, salty and fatty and each serving probably knocks a month or two off your life expectancy.

Bought my Deep Fat Fryer in March 2004 so over 10 years ago, I wanted a model that was easy to dismantle and wash [ I use the high pressure jet wash on it]

way back then the only option model to dismantle was Kenwood, long forgot the price.

maybe a good brand will last longer ? appears other cheaper makes last about 2 - 3 years in the hands of friends.

• 1 year later...

just tried to order one on the spur of the moment from lazada using quick checkout. website falls over when i enter activate for cod, no erorr message, nothing page just goes back to where it began.

thats one 2000 baht plus impulse customer lost.