Ferries in Thailand meet safety standards: Marine Dept

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it well, if the safety standards are:

A- Don't direct ferry over 3.5 thousandth blood alcohol level !

B- Don't direct ferry and don't be in ferry staff if the ya-baa level is higher than 3 pills / person / 2 hours !

C- Don't keep mess on the board, too much safety rings and vests hamper the evacuation, so do keep 1 safety device / 25 persons !

D- If any accident is happened flee the scene, the fastest member gets extra bonus, the last one will sweep the floor ! In case of accident do take care of assets in transported vehicles (passports, IT electronics, cash, credit cards, mobile phones, etc)

E - Keep your eyes on interests of Co. owners also, don't depart with empty ferry ! The ferry is empty if every seat is occupied but don't stand around 500 persons.

F - When you direct ferry don't use your moblie phone, more than 55 minutes 6 hour !

G - Don't forget the share of authorities !

H - Don't smoke in engine-house of ferry, except if you want so much !

J - When you arrive to destination port don't reduce the speed too much but use the ship's-horn !

K - Don't foget to ask tip from tourists, and don't forget the G point !

L - Don't let your kid to direct the ferry, under 10 years old !

M - Beetwen two shifts you do rest, if you are in kaeaoke, don't sing more than 50 minutes / hour !

N - Don't make U-turn with ferry boat over 50 Km/h speed !

O - Behind the ferry the water-ski is forbidden !

What about Thai ferry personnel runners? Have they been checked? Thais are hit and run runners and drivers run from accidents. Have they checked the ferry personnel? Will they stay on board and help passenger rescue, have they been trained in rescue and first aid? The newspaper should be examining these issues instead of merely sound biting what a maritime bureaucrat has to puff about that the Thai ferries meet standards.

This is a great example how the Marine Department is so ingnorant about things. How can I believe the "bozo" in charge when we all have taken ferries in Thailand and see the lack of life jackets, the lack of safety for the workers, the inadequate repairs that are done (or need to be done) at the piers. The Marine Department can't even take care of the jet ski problem--which is a simple one to do.

The K accident was a training issue and then an incorrect/unethical response by the staff...

I will guess that the K ferry met all safety standards; they just weren't implemented properly when an emergency presented itself...

Same same would happen in Thailand. I have zero confidence in Thai response in handling these types of situations...

And the driver flees the scene...enough said...

CB

The Sea Police, or whatever you wish to call them, are another department that are more interested in collecting tea money. Similar story with most of these law enforcement agencies in Thailand. I am not sure what international standards that they are reffering to, but there is no way that many of the ferries being operated here would pass a safety test in Europe.

But a poo-yai has spoken, so there's nothing to worry about, and when the next ferry sinks, with loss-of-life, it will be because the farang tourists were overweight & overloaded the 110%-safe Thai rust-hulk. wink.png

So the farang tourists should be sued, for damaging the train/plane/boat/bus/car/song-thaew/jet-ski which crashed ... Kerching !

• Like 1

I was on a ferry at Songkran from Chumphon that goes to the islands, which is the main ferry service at the moment. The boats are fairly decent, quick and feel quite safe, especially for most of the year when the seas are moderately calm.

However, i realize it was one of the busiest times of the year, but for a boat with capacity of 450 persons, there must have been at least 700 on there. There was a policeman standing at the gangway, i am not sure if he was there to check numbers, but if he was he was not doing his job. People were sitting on the floor, in aisles, extra chairs were brought out, plus a load of people standing at the back.

I think the boats are fine in calm seats, even if they are overloaded but would not fancy being on it that busy in the rougher times of the year.

I am unsure whether they meet international standards from a technical perspective, but the one thing i can say without any doubt that does not meet standard is the customer service and organization of the boats/buses!

Ferries in Thailand meet safety standards: Marine Dept

I'm sure they do...

Now, what about the crew, captains, owners, insurance, what kind of standards do they meet?

Ah, I am sorry, this is not what is being investigated here, getting ahead of myself again...

It is great that the Ferries are safe a good job done

Thanks

I'm sure that the Korean ferry also met safety standards. But wasn't there a small problem with the crew training and also life jackets?

Good,down from three times capacity to double capacity.

Reminds me of a small inter island ferry in Indonesia. Ticket sales were strictly controlled, with a large notice at the office notifying passengers that "ONLY XX TOURISTS ALLOWED ON BOARD".

Tourists then boarded the ferry, and when we were all seated, the locals poured in, almost trebling the numbers. There wouldn't have been more than 10cm of freeboard.

whistling.gif

The department will take members of the press to inspect ferries in the southern province of Surat Thani this 24 April

Must be a nice day out by the sea and going on a big boat for the "Department", must be a first for many of them judging by their claims, hope they get over the effect of what ever they are on by tomorrow.

Pattaya Model...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Should stick to playing with model boats