Leaving a condo empty for some months

Hannon

Hi, we are about to leave our condo for several months, and would like some advice as to the best way to store clothing, bedding, mattress etc to stop them smelling mouldy. Any other useful tips would be appreciated too. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Be sure someone you trust (besides the maid) knows it's empty and has a key. Ideally someone who lives in the building. The windows in our building can leak if there's a heavy rain that comes from a certain direction. We're often entrusted with keys from friends who are gone and go to check their empty units right after a heavy rain to mop up window leaks. Better than waiting until their maid comes a week or two later, if they've decided to have their maid clean the place or tend their plants while they're gone (most don't).

Definitely turn off the water and electricity. Seen too many empty units flood out in this condo building due to a plumbing leak.

Edited by NancyL

Drain the toilet bowl and tank then cover the seat with cling film so the seal doesn't dry out.

Good advice above.

Bad advice!

Why would you ever advise that?

The water in the bowl is there for a reason, to keep sewer smells and insects at bay.

I have gone into a number of condos where the water in the toilet has dried up and the room is full of cockroaches that can then make their way from the sewage pipes to the unit.

Having done both I stand by my comment, the building management at a mates higher end condo gave me the hint after the seal/gasket broke and the water also stained the toilet in the guest washroom. No bugs or smell hence the cling film.

Several years back we also had to leave our condo unattended for several months.

I searched and found the following suggestions:

To start, open the wardrobe doors and ensure there is a 3 or 4 cm gap between each hanging item.

Spread the sheets and towels out across sofas, tables etc,

Thoroughly clean the fridge and leave the doors open and fridge turned off.

Lift the mattresses off the bed frames. We put several old accumulated shoe boxes between the frames and the mattresses

If there is a window mounted exhaust fan, consider leaving it on,but your decision of course on that one, electrical appliances left on is not the best idea, and it would also mean the electricity supply needs to left on.

Maybe also if you have a maid, have the condo cleaned once a week to ensure dust doesn't built up, because dust also smells and you don't want to come back to a totally dusty / dirty residence.

Good ino, Thanks

Are vacuum bags available in Thailand? I bought a couple of large ones in Oz.

Blankets, doona/duve, winter wear, even a pillow or two, placked into one, sheets etc into another, and then a vacuum applied via the vacuum cleaner.

This removes all excess air, and bugs , mould etc can't survive.

To protect the bags from punctures, I placed them into a large plastic box with clip lid from Makro.

I used vacuum bags when leaving Australia, and on return some months later, found that the storage depot had flooded. The cardboard cartons were totally ruined, but all the clothes and bedding remained dry and undamaged.

Worth a try if you can find them, or get someone visiting to buy some back home.

• Like 1

I'm surprised you Juristic manager does not have a system set up of renting the place out while you're away.

My complex allows me to box my things up and keep in their storage.

JM also, of course, takes a cut off the rent.

Rent is priced according to season.

• Like 1

Drain the toilet bowl and tank then cover the seat with cling film so the seal doesn't dry out.

Good advice above.

Bad advice!

The water in the bowl is there for a reason, to keep sewer smells and insects at bay.

I have gone into a number of condos where the water in the toilet has dried up and the room is full of cockroaches that can then make their way from the sewage pipes to the unit.

Having done both I stand by my comment, the building management at a mates higher end condo gave me the hint after the seal/gasket broke and the water also stained the toilet in the guest washroom. No bugs or smell hence the cling film.

+1. If you'll be gone for months, the toilet water will evaporate anyway and you'll still have the odors and creepy crawlies. Or you can add about a cup of bleach to both the tank and bowl, keep them full, and cover the bowl with cling film to keep it from evaporating.

As an alternative, you can have someone flush the toilet once a week or so- but that comes with its own set of problems.

Indeed. I know a guy in NY who had a crocodile come out of his toilet that way. True story.

Who is this person ? what is his name and telephone number so I can check this ridiculous story

• Like 1

OK for the right price I could install an electronic device on your toilet so you could flush it with your Iphone but you would need to download the App from Itunes... :-) that why you could flush your toilet from anywhere in the world problem solved..

Lots of good replies and some a little silly! :-)

Empty fridge and leave fridge door open ( plastic bottle to wedge)- stops smell ( wipe it out fisrt remember the seal .. a little diluted bleach on eth seal will help stop mould)

ensure no dry food is left at all as this encourages rodents.

get some plastic bags and loose fill with sand and tape closed .. these little bags can be placed over shower drains or sinks plug holes to prevent roaches and smells ( not 100% effective but is better than nothing ( also can work in toile basin / urinals if you have any issues there )

insurance is good .

cover all furniture with lightweight cloths as dust sheets .

Get apartment bug sprayed before you leave and during your exit .

Drain kettle

door open on microwave and clean ..

clothes are difficult .. generally I find placing them in redundant suitcases can be effective .. use tissue pasper not plastic bags if you want to divide .. an odd mothball works too .. be prepared to wash when you return . white yellow over time .. so bleach wash on return.

For water and electricity turn off . Take a ( photo ) water meter reading and electricity reading .. excessive use while you are away can then be proved!

Leather items can get a bloom .. again ventilation will help .. if you have a trickle vent anywhere use it .. do not place leather items in plastic it will sweat .

Be prepared to have a professional come and check regularly on the condo .. leaving with Family / friends or condo management MAY lead to other issues of living / subletting etc .

check all condo fees are prepaid and discuss with internet provider ./ satellite / phone supplier if they will do a reduced price to keep the accounts open which makes life easier .. I think true charged me bht100 a month last year for internet ..

Been doing tis for years and it has worked well for me ..

Good luck ..

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't forget to turn the water off. Once our condo was flooded during a long absence.

Agree re turning off the water. We previously owned a luxury rental house just off Jomtien beach. The tenant went on holidays, hose to a toilet cistern burst and whole house sat in 10cm of water for 10 days. Had to get an expert to carefully replace the first 20 cm of wallpaper plus the skirting boards in every room plus heat treatments to dry the bottom of all walls.

Good advice about turning off the pumps. Plastic inlet pipes on washing machines, toilet washers and so on can easily burst if the pressure increases, usually in the wee small hours.

I would be interested in renting a condo for six months during the Christmas holidays, i am a responsible person, non smoking/drinking, no parties just need somewhere to stay (sleep) that's not a hotel,, could work out well for someone, let me know, i'm looking for somewhere in central Bangkok. I own my own property overseas that i manage during the rainy season so i stay in Bangkok during the dry season.

Some good advice here, but some overkill.

Maybe my final act is not needed but I go around with a can of fly etc killer and spray all the corners of the Condo.

Never come back to any insects but maybe I'd not have had a problem without the spraying but for 50 baht of insect spray?

The really important thing is get rid of ALL food, turn off the water and electricity, leave fridge doors open.

Good advice above.

Bad advice!

But if you have gone into a number of condos which have dried up from their water then covering it up with cling film is a good idea that way no smells and no cockroaches, don't you think.... then when you come home you can flush the toilet.