Living in Phuket

aussielao

Hi people

I am thinking of moving to phuket, does anyone recomend a good secure village close to the beach and main shopping centers.

Was thinking around Rawai area,dont want to be right in the middle of the action but still want to be able to walk to shops and go for a meal or beer.

I have a 4 month old baby so somewhere family friendly.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not thrilled about Phuket cause of Transportation.These tuk tuk's would take me broke.

buy car/motorbike, phuket isn't for poor backpackers anymore..

Hmm....not exactly seems the wealthy tourist are in majority nor does its seems Phuket have much left of attractions for people with perspective outside bars, women and sitting in traffic jam to get to central and eat in the food court.

• Like 1

I'm not thrilled about Phuket cause of Transportation.These tuk tuk's would take me broke.

Hmm....not exactly seems the wealthy tourist are in majority nor does its seems Phuket have much left of attractions for people with perspective outside bars, women and sitting in traffic jam to get to central and eat in the food court.

Im a keen diver and in the ocean or with my family most of the time.

Bars are not my priority but still want to get a cold one when thirsty haha.

Do you mean apart from the beaches, national parks especially in Phangna, 5 star resorts, live shows, shopping centres and markets, tours etc etc

Get of your bar stool and have a look around thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Do you mean apart from the beaches, national parks especially in Phangna, 5 star resorts, live shows, shopping centres and markets, tours etc etc

Get of your bar stool and have a look around thumbsup.gif

Phuket is an island, so beaches are a given, no matter how polluted and overcrowded. What national park? Phang Nga bit of a hike for a stroll in the jungle, don't you think? Notwithstanding the 400 (or is it 500?) baht entrance fee for each and every one. 5 star resorts? I think that was included in the gist of Felt 35's post as having little else to offer, (who would want to stay in one if one were renting a house anyway? huh.png Along with 'shopping centers' (read malls), markets (talad nat and sot's are all over Thailand, not specific to Phuket). and haha, 'live shows? Think you're the one needs to get off his 'bar stool'.

Im a keen diver and in the ocean or with my family most of the time.

Bars are not my priority but still want to get a cold one when thirsty haha.

How will you get home after you have quenched your "thirst?" :)

500 baht get real, its 200 baht and your can visit as many national parks as you want to on the same day

by showing your reciept for the 200 baht, get your facts straight

Only a long way to go on a bicycle, by venicle or tour bus Phanga gna is close, not expensive and a good day out

Beaches are not polluted where we go, not to patong that's for sure

Bars are not 5 star resorts,they are a attraction and tourists don't rent houses

3 live shows here and fantasea is world class, get of your bar stool and take a look

Plenty of shopping centres and markets for a island but you will only find one shopping cetre in patong there are others

500 baht get real, its 200 baht and your can visit as many national parks as you want to on the same day

by showing your reciept for the 200 baht, get your facts straight

Only a long way to go on a bicycle, by venicle or tour bus Phanga gna is close, not expensive and a good day out

Beaches are not polluted where we go, not to patong that's for sure

Bars are not 5 star resorts,they are a attraction and tourists don't rent houses

3 live shows here and fantasea is world class, get of your bar stool and take a look

Plenty of shopping centres and markets for a island but you will only find one shopping cetre in patong there are others

"3 live shows here and fantasea is world class" - I think what jpeg was getting at is Fantasea, for example, has been the same "show" forever. Same for the Simon Caberet show.

That's no problem for tourists, there's enough "shows" to see over their 10 night holiday, but the OP is talking about "Living in Phuket" and after you see the "shows" here, there aren't any new shows to see.

We get very few traveling shows. Usually the odd International DJ. Of course, Bangkok has many international acts, but they never play Phuket.

I used to go to this show (see below link) all the time, but with the changing demographics of tourists here, numbers were down, so, I can't remember the last time they ran the show. (there were always different performers of course)

http://phuketcomedy.com/index.html

This is why I have stated many times on TV that many on this forum won't care that Phuket is losing it's western tourist market, until shows like this, for example, stop running, or until you can't buy a steak anymore, and can only buy a curry, and that change is happening, now.

If you are a western expat, and the western tourist market dries up here, be prepared to lose some of the western things you enjoy, or watch the price of them rise, significantly.

Thus, I believe, even as expats, we all have a vested interest in the tourism industry on Phuket, and unfortunately, that tourism industry is losing ground to its competitors, and is poorly administered.

Edited by NamKangMan

We have two cars so transport isnt an issue.

Im only looking for a good village that is recomended.

We live in village namjai in rawai which is very popular with long term expats,when a sign is put

up at the entrance to the village for a house to rent its usually rented within 3 days

Best to find a house which suites you to begin with then have a look around and if you find a village

you really want to live in let the people in the village know and they can tell you when a house is avaliable

Which they will do if they like you and your family

We have two cars so transport isnt an issue.

Im only looking for a good village that is recomended.

We live in village namjai in rawai which is very popular with long term expats,when a sign is put

up at the entrance to the village for a house to rent its usually rented within 3 days

Best to find a house which suites you to begin with then have a look around and if you find a village

you really want to live in let the people in the village know and they can tell you when a house is avaliable

Which they will do if they like you and your family

Thanks for the info it gives me a good starting point. Cheers

If you're staying for awhile, don't stay in Rawai. Anywhere south of Chalong circle will be a nightmare once they start building the underpass at the Chalong round-about.

Also, the average age of the Expats down in Rawai has to be at least 65. It's euphemistically called "Gods waiting-room".

I recommend Kathu. Not far from anywhere and there are still some lovely quiet spots.

If you're staying for awhile, don't stay in Rawai. Anywhere south of Chalong circle will be a nightmare once they start building the underpass at the Chalong round-about.

Also, the average age of the Expats down in Rawai has to be at least 65. It's euphemistically called "Gods waiting-room".

I recommend Kathu. Not far from anywhere and there are still some lovely quiet spots.

Thanks i have had a quick look already looks like a good spot for schools also.

Going anywhere past chalong circle is a hassle especially in peak hours, pick your times to travel and its OK

Gods waiting room it should suite you as you are no spring chicken

There is a good mix of younger people where we live, all renters not owners like the older residents but about 50%

Check HouseinPhuket.com she has a good range of rental properties

We have a decent spread also and organise our tenancies to UK standards with inventories and contracts based on ASTs.

Stephen

Edited by SDM0712

It isn't for the wealthy either. I saw no need to pay a 15- 25% premium on goods and services that were either the same or of lower quality than found in other parts of Thailand.

I can't believe that anyone would want to bring up a young child in Rawai. I am not slamming the place, as it was fine on my few visits. However, I believe that there are better places to stay on Phuket with a young family.

• Like 2

It isn't for the wealthy either. I saw no need to pay a 15- 25% premium on goods and services that were either the same or of lower quality than found in other parts of Thailand.

I can't believe that anyone would want to bring up a young child in Rawai. I am not slamming the place, as it was fine on my few visits. However, I believe that there are better places to stay on Phuket with a young family.

What parts are you talking about?

I dont care about what age or where people are from as long as good people it doesnt matter.

The main reason for wanting to move to phuket is for a change, we have lived in rayong over two years and pattaya about the same. I am 38 so not old or young some of my good friends are in their 50s both in Australia and Thailand. Just looking for a good area, we are beach lovers and i am keen on diving and fishing.

There is good and bad in every town, living in Pattaya people ask dont you get sick of all the bars and tourist!

The truth is it has been great living in Pattaya if you live a normal life, its up to people to choose the way they live in major tourist town.

• Like 1