Corn varieties 2014

farmerjo

Bit slow getting organised this year for my corn crop(animal consumption not sweet corn).

Any new varieties out there worth planting with increased yeilds or proven oldies.

Usually would average 20 inches of rain for the growing season(april-july)

Thanks

We just harvested a crop 3 weeks ago and will plant again in a week or two. Price was down to 6 baht/kg, but still profitable (probably a little over 2,000 baht a rai down from 3500) We have electricity now so will save on pumping water and I will be going up to about 20 rai. I'll try to find out which seed we will use (I'll try to get a photo of the bag or a name, but there are generally 2 or 3 really popular ones and we just use one of them. This time we had our crop machine picked. It didn't save a lot of money, but it was certainly a lot less hassle and much faster. I think the price is down in our area, because there is just more supply than can be handled by the local granaries. I expect a very wet year.

• Like 1

We just harvested a crop 3 weeks ago and will plant again in a week or two. Price was down to 6 baht/kg, but still profitable (probably a little over 2,000 baht a rai down from 3500) We have electricity now so will save on pumping water and I will be going up to about 20 rai. I'll try to find out which seed we will use (I'll try to get a photo of the bag or a name, but there are generally 2 or 3 really popular ones and we just use one of them. This time we had our crop machine picked. It didn't save a lot of money, but it was certainly a lot less hassle and much faster. I think the price is down in our area, because there is just more supply than can be handled by the local granaries. I expect a very wet year.

Thanks for that.

I will be looking at a harvester after planting.

Do you think there's enough advantages for a harvester,ie quick harvest to replant,stubble knockdown good enough to replant or have to burn

for second crop.

Did the granary not give a higher price for the corn already being shelled.

Doing things a bit different this year,box bladed my land to get the plough ruts out and waiting for a 10 metre wide boomspray to turn up on monday.

Spray then wait 10 days and direct seed depending on moisture,as you say if a wet year and i plough i wouldn't get a second crop in.

Thankswai.gif

ed

Thanks for that.

I will be looking at a harvester after planting.

Do you think there's enough advantages for a harvester,ie quick harvest to replant,stubble knockdown good enough to replant or have to burn

for second crop.

Did the granary not give a higher price for the corn already being shelled.

Doing things a bit different this year,box bladed my land to get the plough ruts out and waiting for a 10 metre wide boomspray to turn up on monday.

Spray then wait 10 days and direct seed depending on moisture,as you say if a wet year and i plough i wouldn't get a second crop in.

Thankswai.gif

We don't burn anything, just till it back in after a rain.....let it sit until another rain and prepare the soil for planting. I have water year round so we plant when we want around other things going on. I've got part of one field that needs leveled a little but having problems getting it done when I am away and I am always away for the planting (but that ends in July when I retire). The harvester is easier and saves a little, but it does miss the odd ear.

The grainery posts its prices based on water content and the price floats. It is still profitable and will get better now that we will save on water and when I can keep a better eye on things and can keep better records. After this crop I want to dump some Kee Gap (used broiler bedding) on everything after I get it all smoothed. I might do a cover crop too.

• Like 1

Congratulations on retirementsmile.png

Am similar,i usually plant the crop but generally work calls when the weeds need spraying and harvest is on.

Thats why i have brought a bigger boomspray and looking at a harvester.

For some reason the guy here with a rice harvester isn't interested in doing corn even if i buy the kit for the machine.blink.png

Thank you for your valued assistance.

Can anyone suggest a nice eating variety?

We used to do the eating variety often (and will again soon) and what we found was to buy one of the most expensive brands. One of the few times when I would say you get what you pay for. Down side is that usually these will come no less than 1 kg packets. Also, you can have sudden infestations right before harvest so you have to be ready to spray any day. If you are trying to pick up some cash, I recommend growing the white corn and selling it yourself boiled in the husks (I'm sure you have seen someone doing this along side a road).

Hello All, here in Korat, several of the Ag stores and at the BIG produce market

have 100g. packets of sweet corn, again 1Kg and larger size bags on order.

Thats CT, EW and other brands, both white, yellow, bi-color, black and sticky.

Roast or steam sweet corn, why was away the flavor into the water?

rice555

We grow some sweet corn,2-3 years ago ,only 2 rie ,for silage for the cattle, we got a verietie called in Thai' super sweet' it was about 90 bart a kg from our local shop in the market ,not a bid agri shop come in 1kg bags ,had no problems with infestations,and it was sweet to eat to .

Just looking at my old records ,last time we grew maize 4 years ago to sell the cobs,we grew NK48,which seed company I can not remember,it grow well , we grew it on a recomendation ,and it was poular, I have seen it about this year, not so much,so it is lasting varietie.

• Like 2

We grow some sweet corn,2-3 years ago ,only 2 rie ,for silage for the cattle, we got a verietie called in Thai' super sweet' it was about 90 bart a kg from our local shop in the market ,not a bid agri shop come in 1kg bags ,had no problems with infestations,and it was sweet to eat to .

Just looking at my old records ,last time we grew maize 4 years ago to sell the cobs,we grew NK48,which seed company I can not remember,it grow well , we grew it on a recomendation ,and it was poular, I have seen it about this year, not so much,so it is lasting varietie.

The worms didn't hit until just before time to pick the eating corn and it may have been in the rainy season. Were you raising dairy cows?

The worms didn't hit until just before time to pick the eating corn and it may have been in the rainy season. Were you raising dairy cows?

When we grew the sweet corn it was in the middal of the dry season,we had water to,weather growing it in the dry season,less of a problem with worms.I do not know, we did grow some white sticky corn,no problem with worms.

We do not milk any cows I have been there ,and bought the T-shirt, use to milk 150 b/w's in the UK, ,here we use to rear dairy heifers ,get them in calf and sell the ,gave up last year ,we aways got a very good price for a in calf heifer,but to much of an investment, and a long time in rearing,all ='s a low profit margin.

Now we have a small suckler herd,so far the returns are looking good. I am in central Lopburi province,a,big dairying area,which helps us a lot, lot's of feed suppliers ,and buyer's/sellers of cattle ect.

• Like 1

I used to get brewer's waste down that way from a dairy farmer. It was great stuff, but it was too far to make it economical.

The white corn is very popular and seems to be more pest resistance. We will be doing 1/2 rai on a rotating basis as soon as we get some rain. Will do the yellow sweet corn too just to compare profits.

Talking to a farmer to day ,he is growing NK 48 this year,said it gives a good bushel weight ,and it it an easy varietie,to harvest by hand,compared to other vatieties,just asked the misses is this true ,she said it was ,as some verieties are difficult ,to "hack".

I think I know your brewer's grains guy ,he is near me ,and sends brewer's grains all over the country even ,sends an 18 wheeled truck down south how he makes it pay I do not know,it is a good feed ,22% protein,but at 25% DM(dry matter)he is sending a lot of water.

I am paying 84 bart for 40kg,hauling it myself.

On a DM basis, it is allmot the same price as my 14% concentrate,still think it is a good feed.

• Like 1