is it allowed to take in a soi dog?

coconutbar

Completely agree with the above posts, especially re vaccinations, (not expensive and very good idea).

The only issue we have had is one of our ex-stray canine friends hates going to the vet / captivity. He got a nasty cut on his ankle once and had to stay with the vet. He was miserable there and on the second night he managed to break out of the vet's cage and building and then walk home to us on his sore foot, (navigating 5km). Amazing Thailand dogs!

If we go on holiday, don't think he will be going to a dog hotel.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You would do well to bring the dog in to the vet and get all the vaccinations and check for worms.

Good luck.

Couldn't agree more with this advice, except I would extend the examination to full blood work as well. Just to be sure there are no nasty surprises later on.

One more bit of advice, make sure you understand that adopting a dog (or ant other pet for that matter) can be a bit life-style altering. By that I mean getting someone to look after the animal when you are off on holiday and understanding that not all hotels/accommodations allow pets if you decide on taking it with you.

We have two Siberian huskies which are the wife's 'hairy children'. Wrong I know, but not much more to say really regarding leaving them alone except that it will never happen...................wink.png

• Like 1

Of course it's allowed and is a great idea BUT be aware you will have a lot of hard work ahead of you.

Dog has been living on the street so no toilet training, no eating patterns and desire to roam the streets.

Speaking from experience of having 15 dogs from the street, once he/she settles it will be the most greatful and loving dog, he/she will also be best guard dog.

If you decide to take him/her in, make she it gets plenty of walks and a routine to follow, ie walks at same time everyday, feeding times are the same.

Also do not be surprised if boyfriend/girlfriend comes to visit smile.png

One of my boys had 5 girlfriends , I ended up with 2 of them as they were over every day to visit him. Now he lives with both of them , the wife and the Mia Noi smile.png

You forgot the most important part....

Get them fixed. (neuter their genetalia)

Great dog then.... better then those inbred pedigree types.

• Like 1

Dude, please take it home! NOW!!!

I'm sick of Soi dogs chasing me along my home road. Being overweight and using a cane is no fun at the best of times and when you have a pack of snarling vicious dogs sniffing and snarling around your arse it is downright scary!

• Like 2

In the case that you would like to take a street dog home as a pet, please take the dog to be checked up, to be Rabies vaccinated and any preventive vaccination and importantly have the dog spayed/neutered to help control dog population which is the major cause of having overwhelm street dogs population.

Make sure that a vet doctor you visit is a reliable one, meaning that he/she would sincerely check up the street dog without any bias against that dog being a street dog and would not over charge your vet bill.

Because of you are a farang (I presumed), you might be charged for vet bill farang price. You'd better off go to a vet clinic with a Thai person who is willingly to assist you in translation and help not letting you be overcharged.

Edited by BrooklynNY
  • Like 1

Dude, please take it home! NOW!!!

I'm sick of Soi dogs chasing me along my home road. Being overweight and using a cane is no fun at the best of times and when you have a pack of snarling vicious dogs sniffing and snarling around your arse it is downright scary!

If Every farang took home one soi dog and neutered it, then this guy would not have to live in fear. However, I feel that the exercise is to his advantage.

• Like 1

You would do well to bring the dog in to the vet and get all the vaccinations and check for worms.

Good luck.

Exactly what I intended to say, and it bears repeating, not just 'liking' wai.gif Be sure to have rabies shot and the tags to show it.

Indeed the dog will be grateful!

• Like 2

Yes our dog is also a soi dog. My wife took him when he was a puppy from a street that are littered with dogs so he was the lucky one.

He is a mean guard dog, most are very scared of him but he don't bite but the bark is very convincing.

He is know to have been fighting most of the male dogs in the village and he always won, he-he.

Of course it's allowed and is a great idea BUT be aware you will have a lot of hard work ahead of you.

Dog has been living on the street so no toilet training, no eating patterns and desire to roam the streets.

Speaking from experience of having 15 dogs from the street, once he/she settles it will be the most greatful and loving dog, he/she will also be best guard dog.

If you decide to take him/her in, make she it gets plenty of walks and a routine to follow, ie walks at same time everyday, feeding times are the same.

One of my boys had 5 girlfriends , I ended up with 2 of them as they were over every day to visit him. Now he lives with both of them , the wife and the Mia Noi smile.png

You forgot the most important part....

Get them fixed. (neuter their genetalia)

Great dog then.... better then those inbred pedigree types.

Did not even think to mention it as it's a must to have all the shots and have it desexed :)

• Like 1

Good luck.

Exactly what I intended to say, and it bears repeating, not just 'liking' wai.gif Be sure to have rabies shot and the tags to show it.

The moment it becomes home pet there is no need to have rabies tags showing it.

Also note, it will not need 3 shots but only one, as it's already a grown up.

Ps. Soi dogs are actually pretty healthy besides some skin problems which are easily fixed with good nutrition and some medication

Our soi dog never needed any toilet training. He naturally knew to make his business outside and as far away from where he stays at possible.

Absolute best guard dog, he always woke us up 1-2 hours before the junk collectors come (the come 3-5 AM) and not stopped till the left biggrin.png

Else a great dog, who never cared if he is alone.

Good luck.

Ps. Soi dogs are actually pretty healthy besides some skin problems which are easily fixed with good nutrition and some medication

Rabies vaccine schedules should be strictly adhered to and the same whether its a soi dog or kept at home.

Also a bath to eliminate certain possible issues like mange.

Thanks to everyone for adding about the neuter/spay.

Great to see a thread that is actuslly positive and supportive. Dog people have good hearts ;-)

I have three "farm dogs". They never were around people and were never a problem with toilet training. They do not go in the house or on any concrete covered area. The lawn and bushes are OK with them. The two oldest ones will not take food from my plate. I have tried giving them food from my plate and they refuse it. When put into their bowl it is gone.

Great dogs! Be prepared to be loved.

• Like 1

Yes our dog is also a soi dog. My wife took him when he was a puppy from a street that are littered with dogs so he was the lucky one.

He is a mean guard dog, most are very scared of him but he don't bite but the bark is very convincing.

He is know to have been fighting most of the male dogs in the village and he always won, he-he.

Sounds like he still is a Soi dog tongue.png

• Like 1

Good luck.

Rabies vaccine schedules should be strictly adhered to and the same whether its a soi dog or kept at home.

Also a bath to eliminate certain possible issues like mange.

Thanks to everyone for adding about the neuter/spay.

Great to see a thread that is actuslly positive and supportive. Dog people have good hearts ;-)

Bath is not enough to eliminate mange and not all soi dogs have it, however fungus is common.

Rabies is once per year booster, I was referring to having the silly metal tag showing dog has been vaccinated , the tag is not needed as it's a house pet and owner already knows it's vaccinated, other dogs can not read - lol :)