Waiting for the clampdown

Paagai

Songkran has gone, leaving a somewhat depleted tea money chest. Chiang Mai (region 5) has a new Police chief. Meanwhile social order and night-life crackdowns have already started in Bangkok and Pattaya citing preparedness for ASEAN. And then there's the whole political thing too.

Could there be trouble ahead in Chiang Mai?

I share your concern that police will start cracking down on Chiang Mai's notoriously raunchy night scene.

Gone will be the endless nights of titillating oriental allure, that feeling of being pulled into a frenzied vortex of sensuality and passion, never wanting to let go.

At least we were all here to have witnessed it. And we can take solace into being able to share our stories amongst ourselves, as nobody on the outside would ever believe them.

Hopefully, they'll ignore Mad Dog wink.png

• Like 2

I share your concern that police will start cracking down on Chiang Mai's notoriously raunchy night scene.

Gone will be the endless nights of titillating oriental allure, that feeling of being pulled into a frenzied vortex of sensuality and passion, never wanting to let go.

At least we were all here to have witnessed it. And we can take solace into being able to share our stories amongst ourselves, as nobody on the outside would ever believe them.

Quick, where is this place! I need to experience it before it's gone, the mythical Soi Cowboy of Chiang Mai!

• Like 2

re

Quick, where is this place! I need to experience it before it's gone, the mythical Soi Cowboy of Chiang Mai!

it was called the peak just past foxy lady on the right until it burnt down in about 06 ?

a hotch potch of about 50 ? bars

gay trannies and straight all mixed together and i had a few wild nights and a lot of fun in there when i first got here :)

dave2

ps ... the whole area is now a 20 baht an hour dirt car park :)

post-42592-0-19400200-1398480343_thumb.j

post-42592-0-53626100-1398480394_thumb.j

post-42592-0-29967800-1398480421_thumb.j

• Like 1

re

it was called the peak just past foxy lady on the right until it burnt down in about 06 ?

gay trannies and straight all mixed together and i had a few wild nights and a lot of fun in there when i first got here smile.png

dave2

ps ... the whole area is now a 20 baht an hour dirt car park smile.png

Burnt down January 1 2008. About 5 am in the morning. Happy New Years. Had some good times there. BTW Central owns the property. Should of said the climbing wall only burnt down the bar complex was basically untouched the area was on the down side before the fire and the fire to the wall did not help. Central and the leassor of the land ( owner of the climbing wall) were in a court battle guess who won. Eviction notices were put up around September and if memoriy serve me right in December "the turn out the lights party" was held at the The Paradise Bar which relocated and is still ongoing on Loi Khro. The Paradise Bar was the last venue at the The Peak.

Edited by khwaibah

re

if memoriy serve me right in December "the turn out the lights party" was held at the The Paradise Bar which relocated and is still ongoing on Loi Khro

ohhhh errr trannies ;(

no offence ... each to their own :)

dave2

post-42592-0-76626500-1398485948_thumb.j

re

if memoriy serve me right in December "the turn out the lights party" was held at the The Paradise Bar which relocated and is still ongoing on Loi Khro

ohhhh errr trannies ;(

no offence ... each to their own smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-76626500-1398485948_thumb.j

By the look of the photo the owner is getting up in the world and his help has gotten easyer on the eyes.

re

gay trannies and straight all mixed together and i had a few wild nights and a lot of fun in there when i first got here smile.png

dave2

Was that the place that had the climbing wall? I'd forgotten all about it, there were some nice bars in there.

re

dave2

Was that the place that had the climbing wall? I'd forgotten all about it, there were some nice bars in there.

Yes.

There is still a compound of bars next to the dirt parking lot. At least one of them proudly displays the square rainbow. I looked at buying at the Nightbazaar Condotel a few months ago, which is right behind the Foxy Lady building, alongside those bars. The deal breaker for me was 1) the close proximity to a mosque and 2) the shack across the street from FL, next to the public toilets charges 60 thb for Pad Thai...glad I asked because he mysteriously doesn't have his prices posted. Just verified for me what a raunchy, tourist' area it is. Decided to buy up by CMU.

re

ohhhh errr trannies ;(

no offence ... each to their own smile.png

dave2

I agree. I believe everyone should be free to make their own lifestyle choices and consenting adults can do whatever they want the makes them smile, but...

Whenever there's a place with working ladies and ladyboys, the ladyboys are invariably the most aggressive and persistent, and they're not the one's I want to spend time with. I prefer a place where the women are real women.

There's nowhere in CM that resembles soi cowboy where farangs are, not infrequently, beaten up senseless by waiters, motorcycle taxis, and some Thai minnows who just want to sneak in a few kicks and punches with no impunity afterward.

The Thai mentality, including the police, seems to think that physical violence is condonable after the victims drink. They don't investigate and don't care if you are crippled! Life is precious. Safeguard yourself especially against the Thai minnows who would seek the opportunity to put you in harm's way when it arises. That's how they relieve themselves, when opportuity arises against those who normally are treated with a smile.

Be aware when you are sober, and be careful when you are about to get drunk!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is still a compound of bars next to the dirt parking lot. At least one of them proudly displays the square rainbow. I looked at buying at the Nightbazaar Condotel a few months ago, which is right behind the Foxy Lady building, alongside those bars. The deal breaker for me was 1) the close proximity to a mosque and 2) the shack across the street from FL, next to the public toilets charges 60 thb for Pad Thai...glad I asked because he mysteriously doesn't have his prices posted. Just verified for me what a raunchy, tourist' area it is. Decided to buy up by CMU.

So I guess you decided to go "browntown" after all, eh?

Not that there's anything wrong with consenting adults actively pursuing "alternative" lifestyles, of course.

Mosques and public toilets or not........ just be careful out there! wink.png

Those ladyboys around the Amora, and an ever expanding area, are the only group in LOS more aggressive than the tablecloth salesmen at Hua Hin.

I asked you before what you meant when you used the term "browntown", but you declined to answer and left it to another member to enlighten me.

I'd ask you what you're referring to when you mention "tablecloth salesmen" but.... I'm frankly frightened to know the answer! giggle.gif

re

dave2

i used to like that place sad.png

No Soi Cowboy only Midnight Cowboy's.

Edited by uptheos

The clamp downs began in Chiang Mai years ago.

There has not been anything new on the scene for ages I doubt if it could get much worse.

I can`t see any trouble ahead in Chiang Mai, because there are no more clamp downs to clamp down on. The only time Chiang Mai becomes hot, wet and wild, is during the rainy season.

There is still a compound of bars next to the dirt parking lot. At least one of them proudly displays the square rainbow. I looked at buying at the Nightbazaar Condotel a few months ago, which is right behind the Foxy Lady building, alongside those bars.

This thread sure went in an unexpected direction.

Apparently those bars are no more, I heard they've moved to near Spicy behind the Jack Van Bar..... could be an interesting clash of cultures!xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

this was an intersting article on the whole night bazaar a few months ago: Down at the Night Bazaar - A walk down memory lane Even has a picture of the old Paradise Bar at The peak for Dave2 smile.png

• Like 1

re

Even has a picture of the old Paradise Bar at The peak for Dave2

wow thanks for that :) nice to see youve stil with the rest of us degenerates in here even if we bat for different sides :)

re .. I heard they've moved to near Spicy behind the Jack Van Bar

nat as far as i know :( theres a new bike rental shop in there where spicy bollywood used to be but thats it :(

dave2

ps .. pic of doi suthep 30 minuts ago :)

post-42592-0-90053000-1398652245_thumb.j

post-42592-0-96041600-1398652279_thumb.j

post-42592-0-94695600-1398652307_thumb.j

Well going back a bit some of the bars that are now in the Loi Kroh Boxing place used to be where that pretty outdoor plaza is next to the D2.

New Year's Eve used to be a hoot there, how no-one got their head blown off by a firework I'll never know.

Oh yes, let us wax nostalgic about the dives of yore, and the expert financial liposuction, and ego-reduction, rendered therein: those venues that could be characterized with Chaucer's immortal refrain:

"O wombe, O belly, stinking is thy cod,

Fulfilled of dong and of corruptioun ;
At either end of thee foule is the soun." [1]

How can one forget the sweltering nights inhaling the fine aroma of grilled squid-leather in GrandPa's Last Boner, listening to low-fi tape recordings of Lawrence Welk while the suppurating mosquito coils under the unstable tables were burning holes in our sandals ?

Or, remember the body-body-bungee jump held at midnight in Whale Bellys' Delight: now there was a fall from grace worth damnation for !

Alas, we are older; but, are we any the wiser ?

~o:37;

[1] The Pardoner's Tale

• Like 2