Thailand is virtually crime-free compared to inner-city USA, but looking around you'd think it was the opposite. We don't erect two meter concrete walls topped by sharpened spikes back home like almost every house here does. Even the second floor windows have bars on my house in Thailand. Do Thai thieves carry around two-story ladders? It seems like overkill to me.

Yes I feel safe, but I'd also feel safe with no walls or gate around my house. I grew up in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. Back in the 90s it was nicknamed the murder capital of the world for a while. But most houses have little more than a white picket fence just to mark the property line or keep the dog from soiling the sidewalks. Most houses have no fence at all, especially in subdivisions.

You'll see some houses in downtown DC that have bars on their ground floor windows, but that's a leftover from the MLK riots of the 1960s.

Are there really a lot of burglaries in villages that don't have penitentiary-like facades?

Thailand is virtually crime-free compared to inner-city USA, but looking around you'd think it was the opposite. We don't erect two meter concrete walls topped by sharpened spikes back home like almost every house here does. Even the second floor windows have bars on my house in Thailand. Do Thai thieves carry around two-story ladders? It seems like overkill to me.

Yes I feel safe, but I'd also feel safe with no walls or gate around my house. I grew up in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. Back in the 90s it was nicknamed the murder capital of the world for a while. But most houses have little more than a white picket fence just to mark the property line or keep the dog from soiling the sidewalks. Most houses have no fence at all, especially in subdivisions.

You'll see some houses in downtown DC that have bars on their ground floor windows, but that's a leftover from the MLK riots of the 1960s.

Are there really a lot of burglaries in villages that don't have penitentiary-like facades?

the OP didn't say he lived in a village.

I live in Khon Kaen city and there is a LOt of crime. I have 4 dogs, bars on the windows and 4 cctv cameras.

• Like 1

Yes there are

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Here in Phuket recently a tourist was bashed to death by two thieves in his bungalow as he slept. I believe he hadn't locked the door.

I have high walls and gates and a couple of large dogs to scare bad guys away, but I don't feel as safe here as I did in Australia. Thieves there steal and run, they generally don't kill people because they know it would mean a life sentence.

People here don't seem capable of understanding the consequences of committing murder.

• Like 1

Having lived and worked in one of the most dangerous cites in the world , I don't feel un- safe living in Thailand, but none the less, on the house here, I have all windows barred a full alarm system and "beefed" up the main bedroom door by installing a solid wood door, heavy duty hinges, and proper Yale locks and hard wear.

Granted it my not stop a determined intruder, but they would have a hell of time getting through the bed room door

Condo. Regular wooden door. 250B lock from Tesco. I never use the lock on the sliding balcony door and in the cool season I sleep with that door wide open all night.

Never heard of any sort of burglary in my building.

Having lived and worked in one of the most dangerous cites in the world , I don't feel un- safe living in Thailand, but none the less, on the house here, I have all windows barred a full alarm system and "beefed" up the main bedroom door by installing a solid wood door, heavy duty hinges, and proper Yale locks and hard wear.

Granted it my not stop a determined intruder, but they would have a hell of time getting through the bed room door

same same as you sp.house fully alarmed no wires,kitchen roof also covered.if they get in down stairs through a door or the roof the alarm might just wake up the yam.they can have what they want down stairs,but upstairs they might just have a problem getting into our room,if they do they will have the wf.to contend with if the dog don't get them first.

all three of us sleep well.

colt 45 in the bedroom ,licenced and legal

so if they scale the 2m walls and the spikes

somehow get through the screen door thats padlocked from the inside

they got a nasty surprise waiting for em when the bedroom door opens ......

• Like 1

Cheapest and generally the most effective security if you live in a gated village or Soi is from time to time treat the security crew and the ground staff.

Sometimes, when it's hot bring them some ice and a slab of soft drinks, if you have a BBQ pass a few plates to the on duty guys, tip them well on New Year/ Songkran, as your kids grow out of stuff pass it to them (they either have kids or will sell it).

If they are in your pocket they are less templed (one hopes) to tip off thieves for the sake of a small commission when you are away.

Coincidently or not, both my direct neighbours where broken into twice, and both had invested in full alarm systems.

• Like 2

I lived in a Thai neighborhood on road to Pai above Chiang Mai..All Temple people, and alcoholics..they do protect the homes, though..the advice above.. share with Your Neighborhood.we had bars on the windows..real doors..aloha

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have lived in the same place(Cha-am area) for seven years now and i have never locked a door yet.

There is a lot of building going on around us so i should start to lock things up and put things inside when we go out.

It is probably a bad habit to leave a laptop and camera outside on the table when you are gone all day.

Our house is a very open concept and anyone could walk in if they wanted to.

The gate is always closed and the dogs just bark ,they don't bite.

It is probably not if but when something happens.

Keys are always in the car and the motorbikes.

Never heard of any crime in my village, but nevertheless when the house was built we had a 2m high petimeter wall built, steel ornamental grills to all windows, steel inner sliding doors to patio doors, wire mesh to the underside of the roof tiles, and we also have a pack of dogs that patrol the grounds.

Edited by CharlieH

How's the door frame. I have seen on many occassions, solid wood doors with all the best hardware on them easily breached. A simple kick in the right place fractures the door frame, the room is entered with the lock still in the frame.

Most methods used only keep honest or lazy crooks out. Thai window bars always amused me, seen many of them that simply screw into place, the screws arnt even concealed.

Not mocking you, just suggesting something you may have overlooked. I'm not real keen on being awoken with a thief at the bedside either.

Edited by neverdie

I have lived in the same place(Cha-am area) for seven years now and i have never locked a door yet.

There is a lot of building going on around us so i should start to lock things up and put things inside when we go out.

It is probably a bad habit to leave a laptop and camera outside on the table when you are gone all day.

Our house is a very open concept and anyone could walk in if they wanted to.

The gate is always closed and the dogs just bark ,they don't bite.

It is probably not if but when something happens.

Keys are always in the car and the motorbikes.

darling wake up,your dreaming,the dogs have just bit a policeman and he wants compensation,sorry I woke you darling he's gone but he did take the laptop.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There are decorative bars and bars that look like they belong in a bank. I have the bank bars. Dog, yes. Walls, yes. Locks are the Stanley expensive ones. Safe is 400 pounds and big (three guys may be able to carry it). The helmet goes under/in the scooter seat and the scooter is chained to a big big concrete post. If the thieves bring a bulldozer or bobcat they can get everything. I also have insurance if that happens.

post-187908-0-52646600-1399088055.jpg

post-187908-0-43787900-1399088261_thumb.

• Like 1

There are decorative bars and bars that look like they belong in a bank. I have the bank bars. Dog, yes. Walls, yes. Locks are the Stanley expensive ones. Safe is 400 pounds and big (three guys may be able to carry it). The helmet goes under/in the scooter seat and the scooter is chained to a big big concrete post. If the thieves bring a bulldozer or bobcat they can get everything. I also have insurance if that happens.

Sounds great -- how often do you lock yourself out?

I have a set of keys and the wife has a set. Odds of both of us forgetting the keys the same day is small especially since it takes three keys to lock the front door from the outside and a key to lock the gate from the outside. With the front door; first I have to lock the sliding bar doors then the wood doors and then the padlock on the wood doors. Then unlock two locks on the motorcycle and one lock on the front gate. So I can't get out of the house with less than 6 keys.

post-187908-0-26404300-1399089448_thumb.

Never heard of any crime in my village, but nevertheless when the house was built we had a 2m high petimeter wall built, steel ornamental grills to all windows, steel inner sliding doors to patio doors, wire mesh to the underside of the roof tiles, and we also have a pack of dogs that patrol the grounds.

Jeez Charlie,all you need is to add a couple of watch towers searchlights and some barbed wire,and you can call your place Stalag Luft 14.

I have a set of keys and the wife has a set. Odds of both of us forgetting the keys the same day is small especially since it takes three keys to lock the front door from the outside and a key to lock the gate from the outside. With the front door; first I have to lock the sliding bar doors then the wood doors and then the padlock on the wood doors. Then unlock two locks on the motorcycle and one lock on the front gate. So I can't get out of the house with less than 6 keys.

hope for your sake theres never a fire and u need to get out in seconds rather than look for your 6 keys .........

I feel safe walking around at night in any of the places I've lived in Thailand, including Bangkok. However, in Hua Hin near the supposed relatively secure areas/soi's around Market Village there is constant low level crime. Burglaries are commonplace along with theft of anything that isn't tied or welded down. At least this was the case a couple of years ago when I lived there. I had a friend whose girl wouldn't even stay in the house if he was away on business/visa run/bargirl exercises.

TO JohnnyJazz

Here are two other threads where alarms and security were discussed ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/380659-which-home-security-system/?p=3760315

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/613383-wireless-security-systems/

IMO, the key is to make your house look "difficult" and "too much work". And the way to make it work is to have a security PLAN rather than just a security system.