Would you stop and help someone who was hit by a bus?

arnold40844

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really need to draw a digram to give you the picture but when i said 400 metres i was refering to the overpass, the nearest one being the BTS. The accident was in the middle of the junction and I was at the corner of one of the sides to the junction, she hobbled to the pavement diagonally across from me so it was diagoonally 4 lanes across but I would have had to cross over my road first then deal with Sukhumvit.12 to 15ft may be it was more like 20, seemed pretty close.

Anyway think whatever you like I really could not care any less.

Its not my fault that you lack the ability to visualize the scene. I could draw a diagram for you if you like. All in all there are 12 lanes of traffic meeting at one junction. 4/4/4. Now the way the road works is that you have 2 lanes going one way and two lanes going the other way i was on the very right hand side of the 4 lane road that meets Sukhimvit,

Anyway its pretty common place on here, everything I have posted on this site has ended in me being called a lying troll. Lol

As far i see this: its a troll

In his first post, the accident happened 12 ft in front of him....

Then 6 lanes, other side , now 8 lanes ???

Troll Troll Troll

So thats clarified then...

You have been Trolling before, otherwise you wouldn't be called a Trol

Now we can ad the word Lying...

If the accident did happened 12 feet in front of you.... ( your statement in the original post )

And later you claim the 400 meters to walk to cross the lanes, then you never where even near an conjunction with red lights or even an BTS station...

I'll rest the case, you are an LT with a lot of BS ( by your own admittance )

I really cant even make out what your talking about, the station is not on the left??.. It would have been at least 400M to cross the road safely. I am not really aware of when rush hour starts or stops its always carnage out there..

i started off describing the incident and ended up defending myself against people like you who were throwing insults.

I wrote this post because I was concerned by how many people had their head down. At least I stayed there long enough to see her get to other side of the road and ran through the feasibility of how and if i could help.

And as for the other 10 accidents that I have witnessed here this has always been as a passenger.

@Arnold40844

I have reread your story several times, or should i say story's, to many differences

If any of these really happened, then thats appalling, you even somewhere have stated that you did similar like 10 times, without getting involved...

"early morning about 6am,. About 12 feet in front of me I saw a woman went under a bus while riding a moped. She was not dead or anything, at worst broke a few bones but was obviously in a lot of pain. "

Thats far away from the statement where you mention that you would have to make 400 meters to cross the road.

rush hour starts at 7 am

BTS starts first ride at 06.00 am

There is no way to stand still , right side at rush hour to get your wife on BTS, in normal driving direction , the BTS entry is at your left side, so is the place where you normaliter stop...

you changed your story and details to many times

You'r a Troll and the story is BS

If the story is true, then you are a walking shame for mankind...

Someone will have called the "Foundation" and /or the police. No different from any other country. If you don't know the numbers to call you could have done nothing.

Some of the larger 'democratic' countries in the western world have no law about helping those injured or in need of help. They are covered by law against litigation in case the ungrateful injured should decide to sue in the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada.

It's no surprise if there is no 'samaritan' law here.

I read recently where an injured person in the USA bled to death for over an hour before an ambulance was called. People did not want to get involved the police said.

i think at the end of the day people in this situation walk by for different reasons. My reasoning was not that I didn't care about the persons welfare it was that I failed to see how I could have helped the situation. I expected just to hear "Khun Farang Bye" or something t that effect. The bus driver seemed to be on it and i would probably have just made the situation worse.

I don't think I deserve to be called the lowest form of scum and all the other insulting remarks for making that judgement call. But appreciate the feedback.

Bus hit my (Thai) friend's stationary Accord, police ruled it as 50/50 as the driver would have been fined 3000 baht by the company if he was fully at fault.

Reality and Thailand are World's apart.

I'm going with galaxies.

If a foreigner stops to help there is always a strong chance that they can end up paying for any medical treatment. Perhaps that is why thais dont get involved?

How can that possibly happen? Do they turn you upside down and shake until your cash and credit cards fall out?

I have major difficulty with that concept.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I definitely gauged the situation and considered approaching those involved, weighing up how my involvement might help. I was looking at the woman to see if she was okay from the other side of the road and at the bus driver to see what he was doing to get help. He seemed more concerned about the damage to his bus.

Its great to hear from all the people on here who would have turned in to superman like heros dealing with 8 lanes of incoming traffic in the middle of a junction that says no jay walking during rush-hour.

My wife was running a bit late for work and was off like a shot to get on the BTS. There were 6 lanes of traffic, its a very busy junction and it was the morning rush, all cars just ignore the red lights, I would have had to walk out in traffic to get to her whilst people were beeping and trying to get passed. I didn't have my phone as I'd only nipped out to drop the wife at the station. I suppose I just felt there were lots of people around more qualified to help from a communication perspective as well as having a phone to call the emergency services. I felt like there was nothing I could have done.

Looking back though, maybe there was.

I understand...but what if you just plucked up the courage to stand out and go and direct traffic around her....I am sure others would then come and assist at some point....the first step is always the hardest.

Not superman, just common decent people!

Someone will have called the "Foundation" and /or the police. No different from any other country. If you don't know the numbers to call you could have done nothing.

Some of the larger 'democratic' countries in the western world have no law about helping those injured or in need of help. They are covered by law against litigation in case the ungrateful injured should decide to sue in the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada.

It's no surprise if there is no 'samaritan' law here.

I read recently where an injured person in the USA bled to death for over an hour before an ambulance was called. People did not want to get involved the police said.

Then those people were cowardly <deleted>, as there has been a good samaritan law in the states since the 70's or early 80's.

The victim was a Thai, your wife is presumably a Thai. If she isn't going to help, why should you?

In Saudi, we were told to run away if we saw someone injured, as if they died it would be our fault ( it's complicated ).

What you could have done would have been to insist your wife called the police, in case no one else did.

Unfortunately you are right, many stories about 'farang' that wanted to help in situations like this that were accused of wrong doing or to be blamed for the traffic victims accident.

not sure I would agree. I have been on TV for too long now and don't recall any topics about a farang being blamed because he helped someone who has hit by a bus etc. Not saying it couldn't / didn't happen. If it were me, I would try to help. If someone wants to send me a bill afterwards, so be it.

Ok here is what you should do 1. Put emergency number in your phone 2. Check to see if serious bleeding if there is try to control or stop it. 3. Don't try to move person. 4. take picture of accident scene. 5. also take picture of other driver involved to protect you. 5. stay at scene till emergency crew arrive. 6.Most important unless your trained only render basic first aid. 7. Call your embassy and tell them what happened, this to cover your ass. These rules are simple I once cold cocked a purse thief here almost got busted for catching him, If it weren't for the Thai lady who's purse was stolen being Mother of important person I might of been in jail too. So be careful with help But calling police or emergency crew you will be ok. Remember innocent stay guilty run in the LOS.

If a foreigner stops to help there is always a strong chance that they can end up paying for any medical treatment. Perhaps that is why thais dont get involved?

Ridiculous!

How is this different from the boat drivers not helping those kids????

Everyone and their dog castigated them........maybe all onlookers should have been rounded up and fined.

This is certainly NOT ridiculous. It is absolutely correct.

This year I turned right at traffic lights from Sukhumvit into Threppessit Road near Jomtiein, driving no more that 5mph surrounded by motorbikes, since the lights had just changed, one woman fell over. The woman had a small child on the bike and whilst turning was trying to use her telephone. She did not touch my car but I stopped to make sure she and the child were OK. Local taxi-bike drivers started telling her to say I hit her (we established that later when my Thai wife arrived and she freely admitted I had not touched her). They called the Police whilst i tended to her.

A policeman arrived - took my driving licence and I was told I had to go to the Police station in Jomptein. At the Police station I was told to take the little girl and her mother to the local hospital where I was presented with the bill (only about 200baht so I was not going to complain since I was more concerned about the little girl). Back at the Police station I was then fined 200 baht before they would return my driving licence!!! I had to sign a load of paperwork confirming my "accident" which I was not happy about but my wife insisted to not "cause a problem".

Is this uncommon - you bet your life its not. If it was a serious accident - next time I think I might just drive on since I really cannot afford to end up paying other peoples hospital bills.

Sucked in.

How would you feel if it was you under the bus and everybody ignored you. You should feel bad and not lower yourself to the scumbags who turn the other way.

She's a human being in need of help , shame on you !!!

he would have got blamed for the accident if he stepped in as hes a farang. dont believe me? up to you.

feel free to step in and touch any of them sprawled out in the road but make sure you have your ATM card with you as you'll be paying the bill. ive pulled up next to some flattened drunk in front of a bus and a shattered scooter and heard people in the crowd asking if the farang (me) caused the accident.......i dont hang about now.

Urban farang myth.

I'm really amazed how many people are actually listening t their wives here. When ever I see an accident, I first make sure that nobody else is crashing into him/her.

Then I'm trying to help by checking what injuries the person has, while calling an ambulance/rescue car. So many people were so thankful to me as I do have some medical background.

People can help a lot, by stopping a serious outer bleeding, just speaking to accident victims helps a lot, doesn't matter what language you speak.

Just give them the feeling that they're not alone, until ambulance arrives. I only had the problem once where they wanted to use my Pick up to transport two seriously injure women to the hospital.

The ambulance was already called and I helped to get them in. The fact that the car driver had fled the scene made it to a difficult story, but I had enough witnesses that i had nothing to do with it.

I find it hard to believe that many people listen to advice coming from people who don't know it better.

OP, there are a lot of people reading this thread who would have done exactly what you did, and have had nightmares afterwards. You are not alone, no matter what you know is the right thing to do, when faced with the situation in real-time, you will chose the path of least resistance, go with the flow making excuses to yourself that you have no medical experience, that you may have to pay for the injuries because you became involved, etc, etc, etc.

It is a horrible trait of us humans and to that end, for the majority, it is a normal reaction like it or not.

However, that said, one of the most important things that needs to be done involving an injured person on a busy road is the isolation of the area the injured person is in (if they cannot be moved) to prevent secondary injury from a passing vehicle. So if ever you are in a situation like this again (hopefully not!), it is a course of action to think about.

Something else to be aware of if involved with the casualty, obviously depending on the injuries (or site of the injuries), is moving the injured person by someone without first aid training can lead to greater damage especially with head, neck or back injuries. Administering CPR should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing and getting the patient into the recovery position is important but make sure the person is capable of being moved before attempting it.

If the person isn't already in shock then that will likely come sooner rather than later, another something to be aware off.

Arnold I am military background so take this for what it is worth which is at least a nickel. (Canada got rid of the cent).

I would have gotten involved and by that dragged the other half into it. There are always tings that could be done. Even a soothing voice that is not loud and panicky like most Thai voices can be under normal circumstance would be beneficial. I would have had he GF translate my questions and just talk to her..

Might we have had to have a little talk at home later? Probably but that s me i do what i think needs to be done and hen figure out the consequences later. My fall back of course is if it was you LOL.. Usually ends discussion

.My advice is Do what you would have done if you were back in the home country.

I just returned from Spain where I witnessed a accident with two motorbikes. The two drivers looked seriously injured. Immediately cars stopped and people got out to help them and started to make phone calls and redirecting traffic.

That's the way people should react!

My son, ten years old at that time, fell with his bike somewhere in Chiang Mai and nobody tried to help him. They just walked, or drove on.

For me a reason to say by by to Thailand. I'm going to live in Spain.

• Like 1

My wife and I had a motorcycle accident on the steep hill heading into Patong. We were thrown from the bike and were cut up on the sharp rocks at the side of the road. Not one car stopped to help us. It was very busy and our accident was witnessed by at least 20 cars. Nobody even slowed down! It was a very lonely feeling laying there with all the cars whizzing by us.

And because of that feeling, you would always stop and help someone now, I presume.

I teach Emergeny First Responder in Thailand and tell ALL my students to run the other direction any time you see an accident. Doesn't matter of the severity, under NO circumstances should you stop, trained medic or not. The BIB will get you involved and charge you with some trumped up charge making you, the farang, responsible one way or another. I've personally witnessed this. Just one of the reasons why Thailand is still a "developing" country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I teach Emergeny First Responder in Thailand and tell ALL my students to run the other direction any time you see an accident. Doesn't matter of the severity, under NO circumstances should you stop, trained medic or not. The BIB will get you involved and charge you with some trumped up charge making you, the farang, responsible one way or another. I've personally witnessed this. Just one of the reasons why Thailand is still a "developing" country.

I am actually quite shocked at that post.

In fact no, extremely shocked. The people that spread the myth (yes, myth) that if you stop to aid an inflicted person you will be held responsible for the injuries to said person is BS.

Go back 20 years or so, then yes, maybe, but not today.

You give someone the skills to perhaps save a life and then tell them 'under NO circumstances' to use those skills is, IMHO deplorable.

Nothing really more I can say to that.

I am actually quite shocked at that post.

In fact no, extremely shocked. The people that spread the myth (yes, myth) that if you stop to aid an inflicted person you will be held responsible for the injuries to said person is BS.

Go back 20 years or so, then yes, maybe, but not today.

You give someone the skills to perhaps save a life and then tell them 'under NO circumstances' to use those skills is, IMHO deplorable.

Nothing really more I can say to that.

Strangepost from him...to whom does he teach EFR to ?

He teaches nobody to use it....hilarious.

I'm really amazed how many people are actually listening t their wives here.

It's not unusual, usually non Thai speakers who are totally dependent on the wife for all things.

Most non Thai speakers don't have a Thai wife. How can they do everything alone?

nothing you could have done, many phone calls would have been made, the ambulance thats gets there first usually leads to a cut of the bill to the caller.

If it were a neck or spinal injury you could have made things worse with out the correct training. If there are broken bones and you put in your car doing so could cause the fractured bones to puncture vital organs. Just google move accident victim to what harm it can do. Make a call and leave it at that. Do you really want "well if you had not moved the victim she would be able to walk now not paralysed". You would get taken to the cleaners. Which hospital can you take them to, do they have insurance, do you try and find a government hospital.

one of many examples why you don't put somebody in your car after an accident.

http://www.alarm.org/YourSafety/HelpingVictimsofanAccident.aspx