Lightning strike

Gonsalviz

I cannot be 100% percent certain of the lightning strike, maybe a votage surge during an electrical storm.

Anyway I have a nearly new 54" LED tv and the satellite reciever that are thus far inoperative. Is there any repairs that can be made or is it just 'buy a new one.'

If this is the trike is the case, is there anything possible to do for protection? i.e. an earth wire from the dish?

If by new you mean, "new" send them back for warranty and see what they say ;)

If there's been a lightning strike, electronics will be fried and the repairing tech will let you know the cost to repair as it's not covered under warranty. In that case, go visit the electrical forum for some detailed topic re: lightning protection.

• Like 1

Lightening strikes are pretty rare, and 'if' one had made its way through the LNB to the sat receiver, there would have been a pretty sizable 'bang' with subsequent smoke. Does the tv power up? The sat receiver has isolation which should protect the tv if a strike is indeed the case

We had a direct hit to the roof last year (witness the blown ridge tiles). Fried the LNB but not the (three) receivers.

Most of the electronics survived, probably thanks to our front end surge arrestor and individual outlet surge protection.

Lightening strikes are pretty rare, and 'if' one had made its way through the LNB to the sat receiver, there would have been a pretty sizable 'bang' with subsequent smoke. Does the tv power up? The sat receiver has isolation which should protect the tv if a strike is indeed the case

There was not bang inside. The lights surged when the strike hit. The TV stopped working. The power light on the TV had a dim flickering glow for a while;'

Today they installed a new TV and reciever, only. all works normally.