parents, did you know schools will be closed 6 months next year?

stevehaigh

i mean the poor peoples schools, i have no idea about the fancy international schools

but i just heard that in Phuket and i think the rest of the country, most schools will be closed from the usual term end in March to the european/usa school term start in setpember. this is to sync up with ASEAN or someting i heard.

sync'ing up school holidays seems like a good idea but not sure why they need to keep kids out of school for an extra 4 months to do it, unless they think Thai kids are already too educated and don't want to see them go too far ahead of the rest of the world!

Edited by stevehaigh
  • Like 1

It is apparently happening with the Thai universities first - this year. The aim being, as noted earlier, to bring them in line with ASEAN (and most of the world for that matter). This should make it much better for Thai's wanting to attend university abroad, and for attracting university students into Thai university international (English language) programmes - some of which are very good, but most not considered too hot.

Supposedly, this means they are closed now for 6 months and will reopen in September. Being Thailand, the only way to know is to watch and see when they actually reopen!

If they go ahead as planned and follow this through into Thai schools, then dog help the poor kids and their teachers in the non-AC classrooms through April and May... Sweat it... Sleep on the desks?

Another well thought through plan... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

It is apparently happening with the Thai universities first - this year. The aim being, as noted earlier, to bring them in line with ASEAN (and most of the world for that matter). This should make it much better for Thai's wanting to attend university abroad, and for attracting university students into Thai university international (English language) programmes - some of which are very good, but most not considered too hot.

Supposedly, this means they are closed now for 6 months and will reopen in September. Being Thailand, the only way to know is to watch and see when they actually reopen!

If they go ahead as planned and follow this through into Thai schools, then dog help the poor kids and their teachers in the non-AC classrooms through April and May... Sweat it... Sleep on the desks?

My 2 girls both go to university, one to PSU in Kathu & the other in Hua Hin. Both have confirmed that when their term ends in June they will be on break until September whereas last year they went back much earlier.

Not heard anything for govt schools. This rumour came out last year. But, I expect to find out on the last day of the term. sad.png

Or on the scheduled first day of the new term, which will have been delayed by several months :)

What I understand now, after having contacted Thais working in the school system, is that it might happen, but no decision has been made yet. If it happens, I hope they will widely announce it well in advance. For families with small kids, it makes a lot of difference in the organisation of everyday life if the kids will be in school the whole day or not. It is a big deal.

"Thai university international (English language) programmes - some of which are very good, but most not considered too hot."

Considered by who - you? Based on what criteria - your bias, opinion, gut feel, what you heard down at the bar?

The subject is about calendar changes to align with other countries - but some can't help themselves.

I don't know about Phuket, but I am a teacher at a government primary school way up north in Phrae, and we start classes on May 12th last I heard. Of course, until the day actually comes, that is subject to reconsideration.

There are many ideas on the table from what I understand that the present school year we are going into (2557-2558) may be drawn out a bit, and then have a bit longer break next summer.

Of course, since there may be new elections in a few weeks, and a new government possibly being installed, I'm not holding my breath on any of it....

"Thai university international (English language) programmes - some of which are very good, but most not considered too hot."

Considered by who - you? Based on what criteria - your bias, opinion, gut feel, what you heard down at the bar?

The subject is about calendar changes to align with other countries - but some can't help themselves.

Well, since you ask - through eight years teaching at international schools in Thailand, being actively involved with senior students' university selection and through feedback from a great many students who I know well and have entered into the Thai university English language international programmes...

Also from knowing personally teachers in the aforementioned programmes and the admission tutors at two (people who I have good enough personal relationships with that they let me know which programmes they are running are professionally run and good, and err... the others...)

Where do you get your information from?

Please don't be rude to people for no reason at all - check the facts nicely first... wai2.gif

My 2 girls both go to university, one to PSU in Kathu & the other in Hua Hin. Both have confirmed that when their term ends in June they will be on break until September whereas last year they went back much earlier.

My step daughter goes to university in BKK and is currently in England for a few months, studying English, as she didn't want to be away from Uni, doing nothing, from March until September.

Being Thailand, there are 'workarounds' ..

I was working at a government school last year when the plans were originally announced. It was suggested the school would open as a summer school. There was no discussion regarding attendance of students, more about keeping the teachers working and getting their moneys-worth.

There were mumbles that some schools, instead of paying for an extended holiday would lay off their employees and pick up new teachers when the new term was approaching.

Surely most International Schools already follow more or less the accepted international term dates. ie "summer break in July/August, giving a normal school year as September to June.The AEC must influence the dates in some way for the Thai system. Thai universities will make a change first, and eventually the government schools may follow.

The point about the heat of Thai summer is valid, but the Thai calendar must also have been originally built around taking the kids our of school in April and October to work on the rice harvests.

There are other members of ASEAN with school dates which are different from the "normal". Philippines for example. They are also moving university term dates first, then maybe later the schools.

Of course just moving the term dates does not guarantee a better standard of teaching, but it does make it easier to integrate into the rest of the world.....

It is happening in Thai Universities. They will totally ignore the Thai weather. Teacher and students will be working through the summer heat. Central government has decided. Total madness. TIT

According to my wife, a Thai English teacher, three hundred big government schools throughout the country were meant to open in late June as a step towards ASEAN integration on term times but it looks like it isn't happening.

One of the schools in my town was on the list but I notice many of the students are already going in before the term starts so I think it's another postponement for this daft scheme.

Who the hell wants to teach in April? It's way too hot.

Whatever happens, up -down -left - right.

The director of each school will have his eye on how to make the most money out of whatever happens.

2000 kids at my school. The monks come by for half an hour and each kid gives 20 baht. do the math.

A whole 3 months off the books. An opportunity too good to miss.

I thought Thai schools were already closed for 6 months a year(well it seems like they are)

I could not see an extra 6 months making any difference to their hopeless education.It would just mean another 6 months of them getting in the way at the supermarket

Seems to me that they never close. I live next door to a school and although officially the holidays at the moment there are still hundreds of them coming in, can't keep them away.

As for the hopeless education, I wonder if you are aware of some of the real facts?

Thailand has 9 Universities in the QS worlds top Uni rankings, which beats Indonesia's 8, Malaysia's 6, Philippines 4, and Brunei, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam's 0, so it could be argued that the education system in Thailand is the best in ASEAN. Judging by subject, Thailand has Universities in the top 50 in the world!

• Like 1

I have to return to work on the 15th May as normal. What would happen to foreign teachers? No pay for these months? I think I had better start saving up or is it too late? Are they going to sack all their foreign teachers? It's a worrying thought.

• Like 1

My school reopens for the next semester 1st May.

Three friends who are also teachers, their schools re-open 14th May, 17th May, 1st June respectively.

(All of us have been on holiday since our schools closed on the 28th Feb)

Official...will happen...is happening...all of us have already attended pre-opening teachers meetings at our schools to discuss the "game plan" for the new semester.

All four schools are in Bangkok....and are privately owned by Thai people.

I can't speak for Intnl schools or Govt schools.

Another cluster f*** or Chinese fire drill...call it what you may. Glad my daughter is only 4 and this will hopefully be sorted before she officially begins schooling. Not that I have much hope for that schooling being anywhere near acceptable compared with Western standards,