I was aggressively targeted by Thai police - 4pm yesterday

spambot

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get over it....There is terrible shooting that anti-goverment protesters and they might got some informations that weapons are smuggled with Farangs as they won't be checked.

I don't think it's that, some crimes the police aren't very interested in stopping.

They're mainly doing it to look for drugs. They stop and search enough random farang in a week, and their gonna get a few with a joint in their pocket. Then it's off to the ATM time. They prefer doing it in places where there isn't a lot of attention, so walking in a backalley makes it more likely. The times I've been stopped have been in Pra Athit area and near the offramp from the Pinklao bridge late at night when no one was around.

• Like 1

I think DP25 is right - And because he had the same done to him very close to same - He does know what the score is.

For me 99% of this was the process - So all that is needed really is for the BIB to recognize the problem and go on a prolonged customer services course - Solved! - That shouldn't be too difficult, to do should it?facepalm.gif

What is the colour of your skin? Always 2 sides to every story.

Just the sort of comment you'd expect from a self-confessed bigot. I guess your view is that everyone who ain't white is a criminal, right?

Get over it....There is terrible shooting that anti-goverment protesters and they might got some informations that weapons are smuggled with Farangs as they won't be checked.

I don't think it's that, some crimes the police aren't very interested in stopping.

They're mainly doing it to look for drugs. They stop and search enough random farang in a week, and their gonna get a few with a joint in their pocket. Then it's off to the ATM time. They prefer doing it in places where there isn't a lot of attention, so walking in a backalley makes it more likely. The times I've been stopped have been in Pra Athit area and near the offramp from the Pinklao bridge late at night when no one was around.

The ordinary cops have no interest in drugs whatsoever beyond the opportunity it presents them with to score twice.

Once on the sap dumb enough to be carrying them somewhere they can be found during a routine pocket search and twice when they pass whatever they've "confiscated" on to their preferred suppliers on the odd-numbered side of Lower Sukhumvit in return for a cut.

Just business, bro. Just business

I agree partially with h90 There are good points here that are worth considering, however I am not sure that I should be thankful it was not worse - It is potentially less healthy than looking at what's going wrong and possibly at improvements for fixing it - Rather than reference the worst that might happened so as to be thankful it didn't.

What makes me see it relative "positive" is that after the check they just went away.....

2 stories that are similar:

2 of my staff went for lunch on a street side place, when they went out of it, the police took them for a pee test. One of them look neat and nice, the other one is dark (from the south). and the police had to look on their di*k when peeing to be sure it is their pee. Both Thai. Both negative.

1 of my motorbike delivery guys was stopped, they close the street and check every motorbike (but no car, maybe in the car there could be someone important, if my wife would have to pee should would take a million to sue just everyone there, but motorbike guys don't have the money). Also pee test. He than quickly borrowed 5000 Baht in the office, so I assume he was positive.

Edit: but considering that I come from Europe it is pretty shocking, as well that the police has to look while you pee....in the normally shy Thailand

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I assume any countries police have the rite to frisk search a suspect no?

Op someone mentioned middle eastern guys and Israeli guest houses, do you fit the description of a dark haired or middle eastern look?

No not really - I from UK and I dress and look like a Sainsbury shopper - I always make sure to wear smart casual clothes, well groomed, no distinguishing outer symbols or markings, with no tattoos and no clothing typical of eastern people - I tend to overdress smart / never wear shorts or t-shirts even in warm weather.

And I would have thought I would be the least likely (by appearance) to suggest drugs (or bombs) carrying - stereotype.

<And I would have thought I would be the least likely (by appearance) to suggest drugs (or bombs) carrying - stereotype. >

Which is exactly the sort of person a terrorist/ drug dealer would use if they could.

Contrary to opinion, terrorists aren't usually stupid.

intresting story this one., and while I was reading something came to mind what happened to me once on khao san about a year ago.

Somehwere through the small alley ways paralel to khao san (maybe the same as in the op). some time ago there were a few very relaxed bob marley reggae bars.

My favorite one, now all gone unfortunately was famous for the sell of mariuhana, now I have had my fine share when I was still living in Holland and would not buy anything illigal here in Thailand but the bar itself was a nice place to sit and when having friends coming over I used to take them for a beer there.

Once I was siting there with a good friend having a beer at around 3-4 pm when 2 coppers drove by on their bike. Just looking and kept driving.

About an hour later we took a stroll on khao san itself when the came coppers on the bike drove past and immideately stopped us over to check everything. I must say they were quite polite and pretty torough in their search. Since we were on the middle of the street it drew quite some attention from the other tourists passing by but I took everything from my pockets, showed it to them and showed my empty pockets, my friend did the same. After that they conducted a body search because obviously they knew what was happening at the reggae bar but we had nothing to hide and did everything with a big smile.

After 5 minutes they were on their way again.

So maybe op, you walked by/stood still or hasitated close to a place where the police know illigal things are happening without even knowing it yourself but could be for them a reason to stop you over and check.

Nevertheless with all the corruption here it is never a nice confrontation since actually you are never sure what is going to happen..

• Like 1

Based on the vast quantity of similar posts/threads you may find the answers you seek?

https://www.google.com/search?q=police+video+site%3A+thaivisa.com&oq=police+video+site%3A+thaivisa.com&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59.11248j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8#q=stopped+by+police+site:thaivisa.com

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/716294-stopped-bt-the-police-warningadvice/

It would not take a lot to make this work a little smoother

Maybe you could follow-up with the Police with your suggestions for improving policing techniques.

Edited by lomatopo

Cop or no cop, I would resist for sure since they don't have the right to do it the way they did it. Then they would come with the well practiced -i arrest you- stuff but I would rather memorize their badge number, get arrested, get out soon anyway, contact the best lawyers and end their career so they can look for a job instead of bombs and guns.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It sounds to me like they were looking for something specific and like most police anywhere in the World are looking for behavior out of the ordinary. The out of ordinary part, in my opinion, is that you sound a regular smart and well dressed guy, near a road full of foreigners, and yet were on another smaller road not normally used by foreigners. Even if the UK if the police see something out of the ordinary they may very well ask questions and if they feel they have grounds do a search.

They say they were looking for bombs and guns and there are many problems in BKK right now caused by bombs and guns. You sound like you look nothing like a bomber, or assassin, or someone connected to hired kills or political movements, so really an ideal person to involved in any of these activities !

I remember the first time I used a Private Investigator in the UK, I was expecting Jim Rockford in a Camero (?) and ended up with Worzel Gummage in a Mini Metro. Got the job done though and Jim would have been spotted miles away.

In terms of what you could have done, "you're not in Kansas anymore", the right thing is to let them get on with it calmly and politely. Any non-compliance or aggressive behavior will get you banged up until you can get a lawyer down to the Police Station to sort it out, or worse.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

I've been stopped by the Laurel and Hardy motorbike boys several times over the years in Banglampoo.Looking for drugs I'd say, so I always disappoint them.

One time after stopping me they let me go then called me back to help translate as they'd just busted 3 French hippies for a small piece of hash and one French guy was pleading,'Eeez only a small peeece, can't we pay some munney', but the cops weren't having it and insisted the hippies would have to go to the station.i was in no mood to assist having been stopped for no apparent reason so I shook my head and walked away.

Annoying predators is how I would describe them, one time late at night one of them tried to put his hand in my pocket but I emptied the contents out in front of him first.

Look them in the eye, speak politely, Thai if if you can, and have some form of ID,I show them my teacher's licence or Thai driving licence then they always let me go but it's annoying and an infringement of human rights to be quizzed for simply walking on the streets.

How does Joe public differentiate between a genuine stop by on-duty police or a myriad of opportunists in surplus uniform (inc off duty police 'trying it on')? The very least he should do is submit a written complaint seeking clarification on their legal position & proper procedure. I agree with others who suggested walking to somewhere within view of CCTV where possible.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Try entering Australia: White, elderly, retired, single, returning for a holiday from Thailand.

Customs kept me an hour while they searched everything - lap top, USBs, CDs, camera, even my e-book!

This was after a long flight and arriving at 07:30.

I must have been losing my cool, as I told the male officer I needed a pee. He conferred with the female superior, who said 'the bathrooms are around the corner"!

I snapped back and said "I wanted a pee, not a bath"!!

However, I saw two teens being manhandled in Chiang Mai Saturday night. The police were quite rough on the lads, ripped a backpack off one, went through the contents. Was there some sort of alert?

Would never allow a cop to put his hands in my pocket, and you are within your rights to ask to see his open hands first!!!

I don't think it was a shakedown, more likely they were were looking for something specific.

I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Happened to me last year at the exact same street (way faster than walking on KSR)...it was 11pm, a motorbike with police joined me and asked me my passport. Then they put their hand in my pocket, asked me to strip up my clothes...even asked me to take a look in my underwear....i asked them why...and it was for drugs...

They didn't want to check my shoes because "no shoes mai dai no good"

I then left, I was shocked but couldn't do anything. My friend told me they are not allowed to do that in the street and they should bring me to police station if they needed to perform a full search on my body...

I don't use this soi since then !

• Like 1

Cop or no cop, I would resist for sure since they don't have the right to do it the way they did it. Then they would come with the well practiced -i arrest you- stuff but I would rather memorize their badge number, get arrested, get out soon anyway, contact the best lawyers and end their career so they can look for a job instead of bombs and guns.

May be tempting or wishful thinking. But, not very clever. The police in most countries can make life very difficult for you if they wish. The more professional forces may have mechanisms to try and prevent abuse of power and not following procedure - but the RTP? Upset one and, unless you are rich and connected. which most farang ain't then you'll likely get a shower of Sh1t.

Smile, be polite and get their names / numbers. Remember, farangs have been shot by the police with very little consequences for the officers involved. If you are going to complain do it through a lawyer. But, ask yourself first, is it worth all the cost and potential hassle?

• Like 1

Your appearance looked like someone who has some money - so they were probably looking for any reason to ask for a cash fine. They may have got lucky and found some prescription drugs etc..

Same thinking applied to roadside stops - look for easy targets who will not cause any trouble for them and who will pay up to save time and inconvenience.

I saw the BIB at Asoke stopping taxis for spot searches - they stopped one taxi containing an elderly Indian man with his sari-wearing wife - hardly likely to be the profile for someone carrying guns or running drugs - but highly likely to have cash on them.

I've been stopped and searched several times in Khao San Area. They said they were looking for drugs. They looked around my waist to see if I was hiding something there, in pockets, went through my pack of cigs, and once made me take off my shoes. It happens a lot there.

why would a foreigner be suspected of carrying a bomb or guns?

There are a lot of bomb threats against Khao San Road, especially the Israeli guesthouses. They arrested a couple guys from Lebanon last week who were plotting an attack. Two years ago an Iranian safehouse they were making bombs in blew up, they ran and one of them ended up blowing up his own legs when he was chased by police and tried to throw his bomb at them. Bangkok in general and Khao San Road specifically is definitely an international terrorist target.

Despite the very dramatic Bangkok Post front page article, as of last week the police had not found any evidence that the two suspected Hezbollah members were plotting an attack and they are likely to be deported without charge. Either they were very good at covering their tracks or Israeli intelligence was a little overzealous. Either way, they were judged guilty before proven so by the Thai media based on an anonymous Thai intelligence source, presumably acting on a tip-off from Israel.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I assume any countries police have the rite to frisk search a suspect no?

Op someone mentioned middle eastern guys and Israeli guest houses, do you fit the description of a dark haired or middle eastern look?

No not really - I from UK and I dress and look like a Sainsbury shopper - I always make sure to wear smart casual clothes, well groomed, no distinguishing outer symbols or markings, with no tattoos and no clothing typical of eastern people - I tend to overdress smart / never wear shorts or t-shirts even in warm weather.

And I would have thought I would be the least likely (by appearance) to suggest drugs (or bombs) carrying - stereotype.

Haha - a 'look like a Sainsbury shopper' - i feel inferior now, sure i look like a Tesco shopper !

• Like 1

I'm sure your post is more than naivety.

Would never allow a cop to put his hands in my pocket, and you are within your rights to ask to see his open hands first!!!

I don't think it was a shakedown, more likely they were were looking for something specific.

I try to avoid them as much as possible.

These are my favorite posts...the tough talker..."well if it was me".

So what exactly would you do if the cop put his hand in your pocket? What would you do if he didn't show you his hand first or if his hand had contained drugs? You wouldn't have done a thing except gotten yourself jammed up worse.

The cops in this country have every right to search you if they suspect you of something. You have zero right to presume equal treatment to what you receive "back home" and I amazed at how many here think they do.

Furthermore, most posts on here concerning cops is that they are lazy and never do any police work. Now the complaint is they do the police work but against a farang.

Only a couple of guys here actually consider the likelihood the police were acting on a tip combined with a pedestrian path used by Thais in and of itself being suspicious as well as the the post discussing bombs. Good on you guys.

The cops did not plant anything. The cops did not take any money. The cops did not arrest the OP. The cops did not rough the OP up.

They did police work. Good for them.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1