I was aggressively targeted by Thai police - 4pm yesterday

spambot

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been stopped and searched several times in Khao San Area. They said they were looking for drugs. They looked around my waist to see if I was hiding something there, in pockets, went through my pack of cigs, and once made me take off my shoes. It happens a lot there.

why would a foreigner be suspected of carrying a bomb or guns?

There are a lot of bomb threats against Khao San Road, especially the Israeli guesthouses. They arrested a couple guys from Lebanon last week who were plotting an attack. Two years ago an Iranian safehouse they were making bombs in blew up, they ran and one of them ended up blowing up his own legs when he was chased by police and tried to throw his bomb at them. Bangkok in general and Khao San Road specifically is definitely an international terrorist target.

Edited by DP25
  • Like 2

This same thing happened to me...no explanations. Two police jumped up out of their parked car (they were waiting for me) and thrust their hands in my pockets. I had only shorts and a tank top. I presume they were looking for drugs...put perhaps were planting some? A twenty baht bill fell, and one of them picked it up and handed it to me. With not a word, both suddenly gave up and went back to the car, driving off. A spot search? Perhaps an informant indicating I was a drug seller? Who knows... This I do know....if any search/seizure laws exist, they are surely not enforced. You may have been in an area where drug trafficking was going on.....or worse yet, near the drug lord's home.

I assume any countries police have the rite to frisk search a suspect no?

Op someone mentioned middle eastern guys and Israeli guest houses, do you fit the description of a dark haired or middle eastern look?

You took what appears to be a "bypass" to normal foot traffic, that in itself could be seen as suspicious for a ferang. If only thais usually use it then from there point of view why would you need to ? Could look like you were trying to dodge them.

Your reaction and behaviour in my opinion was correct, anything else and who knows what they may have done, best to roll with it.

Probably looked more like a lost tourist. biggrin.png

I assume any countries police have the rite to frisk search a suspect

Actually, no. In practice even America is devolving but generally it is a staple of free men and countries that they should only be frisked upon arrest, or exigence. Of course not all countries enshrine the natural rights of man. Having said this I do support exigent actions to secure safety; But it's slippery slope.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I assume any countries police have the rite to frisk search a suspect no?

Op someone mentioned middle eastern guys and Israeli guest houses, do you fit the description of a dark haired or middle eastern look?

No not really - I from UK and I dress and look like a Sainsbury shopper - I always make sure to wear smart casual clothes, well groomed, no distinguishing outer symbols or markings, with no tattoos and no clothing typical of eastern people - I tend to overdress smart / never wear shorts or t-shirts even in warm weather.

And I would have thought I would be the least likely (by appearance) to suggest drugs (or bombs) carrying - stereotype.

• Like 1

You took what appears to be a "bypass" to normal foot traffic, that in itself could be seen as suspicious for a ferang. If only thais usually use it then from there point of view why would you need to ? Could look like you were trying to dodge them or had something to hide by using the alley and not the main walkway like evety other ferang.

Your reaction and behaviour in my opinion was correct, anything else and who knows what they may have done, best to roll with it.

Good point Charlie - The suspicion could have been just that - Odd place to be - Rather than appearance of individual.

I could handle the logic of that (or anything else), but its difficult knowing that they carried this out so aggressively using power with permission - I guess they thought they were being amazing in Thailand - Getting taglines mixed up.

I haven't been stopped and searched for some time around my neighbourhood but when I went through a phase of being stopped regularly by the "police", wherever possible, I would insist on being searched in a well-lit area like in front of a gas station, 7-Eleven or a Family Mart.

Anywhere, basically, that had CCTV.

Although it's best to be polite, you can't let them take the piss.

On one or two occasions they've asked me to produce an original passport.

A firm but polite, "I'm busy, mate. The copy is all you need" while looking him square in the eye is all that's required to let him know you ain't a fool.

• Like 1

HS, I always thought original not photocopied id needed to be produced if asked for in Thailand? Im sure I read that somewhere.

Also re the frisk search, although there are guidelines cops are meant to follow, there seems to be a loophole of sorts saying if they suspect then they have the rite to search a person.

Spam or, I think Charlie summed it perfectly. You too a bypass in an undesirable area... Drugs, suspect tourists, recent Muslim insurgents, and be always calm. Getting riled only makes things worse no,matter what the country

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 1

HS, I always thought original not photocopied id needed to be produced if asked for in Thailand? Im sure I read that somewhere.

Also re the frisk search, although there are guidelines cops are meant to follow, there seems to be a loophole of sorts saying if they suspect then they have the rite to search a person.

I think the police realise just how inconvenient it is to carry an original passport everywhere. If you lose it, you're in all sorts of trouble.

A photocopy of the main page and the visa page suffices for 99% of purposes involving the police.

It is said that sight of the visa page significantly reduces the likelihood that you'll be asked to produce an original and complete passport.

What is the colour of your skin?

That crossed my mind too. Many years ago we had a black friend who used to get searched extensively every time he left Thailand and came back on a visa run. He was a really nice guy - but kind of naive - and could not understand why no one else on the tourist van ever got searched but him

Edited by Ulysses G.

Very scary situation.

Most...not all...BIB drink on the job and carry a loaded gun and a badge that makes them 100% right and US 100% wrong. I'm glad you made it without them planting something. I would stay off THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED and stay in crowds.

• Like 1

I am thankful to Tywais - He has cited a similar even that occurred 100 meters or so from where the stop and search occurred for me - Familiar story that it happened in a quiet area, the guy had also just gotten off the bus and amazingly he identifies his type clothing being smart - Just like I did (seems we both are trying to justify who we are by what we wear).

I kind getting a picture that the big factor was the place where I was, not the way I looked - So Police found places that would not bring too much attention to what they were doing.

However knowing this is one thing, but changing the way that they do it is something else - How they conduct themselves should not be an experience that leaves you a little fearful that it might happen again - So if you stay clean - The problem is not that you might get found - Rather that they might want to do the search again and its the process itself that is uncomfortable.

It would not take a lot to make this work a little smoother - Give you a card in English (most popular) telling you your choices and giving some safeguards i.e one of the police will conduct the search and one will film the process - One of the choices might be to it here or another might be to go to a well lit place with people around to witness - Or a choice would be to go to the station, but it might take longer etc - I am not offering a blueprint here for process just an open thought - And there should be a better way of doing this - That is not forced upon you and not done in secret lonely spaces with guys carrying guns with little English to let you know what is going on.

Very scary situation.

Most...not all...BIB drink on the job and carry a loaded gun and a badge that makes them 100% right and US 100% wrong. I'm glad you made it without them planting something. I would stay off THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED and stay in crowds.

Ha - IAMSOBAD - I like this way you phrased this - You make a made a good clear point and the end with a line that did make me laugh

Get over it....There is terrible shooting that anti-goverment protesters and they might got some informations that weapons are smuggled with Farangs as they won't be checked.

By seeing you walk a way normally only used by Thais they though.....here he is we got him......

Not nice but guess what would have happened if it would be USA, they would throw you to the floor and put the pump gun on your head and shoot your dog (if you have one).

But what they should have done is apologize......

• Like 1

I agree partially with h90 There are good points here that are worth considering, however I am not sure that I should be thankful it was not worse - It is potentially less healthy than looking at what's going wrong and possibly at improvements for fixing it - Rather than reference the worst that might happened so as to be thankful it didn't.

Edited by spambot