I was aggressively targeted by Thai police - 4pm yesterday

spambot

Hallo spambot :-)

1/ Be thankful that you didn't have those 'last thoughts' of yours while the policemen were still around because it seems to me that the last thing you might expect from them is a sense of humour... shouting at cops in a situation like that could get you into real trouble, and not just in Thailand!

2/ You tell your story with charming sincerity and a remarkable lack of aggressivity, even though it was obviously pretty unpleasant (except for that one little moment perhaps...? lol) and your tone should inspire people who tend to launch into abusive language without giving a moment's thought about how and why the 'other party(ies)' did whatever they did.

3/ If there are indeed lots of drugs around Kaosan (and I believe there are) then this kind of occurence is more or less inevitable and there is no such thing as a police search done nicely (except in our wildest dreams of course). As for the bomb threats... brrr... unfortunately it's probably true...

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a tempest in a tea cup, people get searched every day. in new your cops have to meet a quota of stop and searches.

as for the "having something planted on you" phobia, this is essentially urban legend. I know of no-one who has had this happen, if it has happened to someone here please come forward and share your experience.

as i said before, the op was stopped searched and released when he checked out clean.

that he was uncomfortable an/or frightened is neither here nor there as he was not abused physically in any way.

the issue here is a sense of entitlement and a belief that a cheap pair of khakis and a cheap shirt form asda combined with your skin color put you above suspicion - the poster is basically asking why me?

they had their reasons. they explained them to you.

get over it

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I assume any countries police have the rite to frisk search a suspect no?

Op someone mentioned middle eastern guys and Israeli guest houses, do you fit the description of a dark haired or middle eastern look?

No not really - I from UK and I dress and look like a Sainsbury shopper - I always make sure to wear smart casual clothes, well groomed, no distinguishing outer symbols or markings, with no tattoos and no clothing typical of eastern people - I tend to overdress smart / never wear shorts or t-shirts even in warm weather.

And I would have thought I would be the least likely (by appearance) to suggest drugs (or bombs) carrying - stereotype.

Maybe your dress is the problem. I am not even sure where to find "smart" clothes. I have only a "smart" phone.

Fully agree there are far more bent and corrupt officers here than first world where professional law enforcement exists. Absolutely.

I am not sure what "stitched up" means but these are my rules the world over and even the whole galaxy ;-)

If it means they planted drugs and are looking for a bribe, then I would pay it right there on the spot. Once they take you to the station then there are that many more hands to feed.

If it means the cop took some of my pocket money then I would ignore it since I do not carry much pocket money and if I lived in the neighborhood I would definitely NOT file a complaint the next day. I would wait until my last hours before moving.

If it means that the police were beating you up then I would take the beating. They are not going to put you in hospital or kill you because there is no gain in it for them. And I have never heard of the last one occurring here myself. Perhaps someone has direct experience.

Unless there is a camera filming it or several farang witnesses, it will come down to two Thai cops word against yours. But this is just what I would I do--to each their own.

Wouldn't want you watching my back.

Talk about bending over and spreading your arse cheeks.

If you come over like someone who will let people get away with taking the piss, you can be rest assured those people will be able to identify you at 100 paces.

No one's suggesting getting mouthy and pugnacious but, trust me, a spine does have its uses when resisting bullies.

Hallo spambot :-)

1/ Be thankful that you didn't have those 'last thoughts' of yours while the policemen were still around because it seems to me that the last thing you might expect from them is a sense of humour... shouting at cops in a situation like that could get you into real trouble, and not just in Thailand!

2/ You tell your story with charming sincerity and a remarkable lack of aggressivity, even though it was obviously pretty unpleasant (except for that one little moment perhaps...? lol) and your tone should inspire people who tend to launch into abusive language without giving a moment's thought about how and why the 'other party(ies)' did whatever they did.

3/ If there are indeed lots of drugs around Kaosan (and I believe there are) then this kind of occurence is more or less inevitable and there is no such thing as a police search done nicely (except in our wildest dreams of course). As for the bomb threats... brrr... unfortunately it's probably true...

Thank you Yann - You write pretty good things yourself - And good thinking about the advice about sense of humor is a delicate balance to get right since when it is interpreted the wrong way it has consequence and so can be a risky strategy.

It is good to get your type of feedback - It is both positive and helpful - Thank you.

During the 2010 curfew after Thaksin had ordered his people to burn and loot the city, I was stopped on Asoke by two cops at 8pm ... 1 hour before the official curfew.

They searched my bag, found 10,000 Baht in cash and looked at me suspiciously. I felt under no obligation to tell them the source of that cash. One of them looked at me in a funny way and started to frisk me ... left buttock, right buttock ... I was concerned about maintaining my virginity there, dark side of the moon .... orifice in full lockdown, I clenched my butt cheeks tightly .... his hand went round the corner .... fondled my nutsack ... he smiled ..... enough of this Sodomite depravity, I thought. When will he be done? ..... his hand hovered tantalisingly around my crotch zone .... throb, throb ... This is entering forbidden territory. The unspeakable vice of the ancient Greeks ....... Then he stood up straight and asked where I live. I'm not having you come knocking on my door, you shirt-lifter, I thought ... So I gave him a fictitious address in far away Pathum Thani. Then I was allowed to leave and off they went.

Fully agree there are far more bent and corrupt officers here than first world where professional law enforcement exists. Absolutely.

I am not sure what "stitched up" means but these are my rules the world over and even the whole galaxy ;-)

If it means they planted drugs and are looking for a bribe, then I would pay it right there on the spot. Once they take you to the station then there are that many more hands to feed.

If it means the cop took some of my pocket money then I would ignore it since I do not carry much pocket money and if I lived in the neighborhood I would definitely NOT file a complaint the next day. I would wait until my last hours before moving.

If it means that the police were beating you up then I would take the beating. They are not going to put you in hospital or kill you because there is no gain in it for them. And I have never heard of the last one occurring here myself. Perhaps someone has direct experience.

Unless there is a camera filming it or several farang witnesses, it will come down to two Thai cops word against yours. But this is just what I would I do--to each their own.

Wouldn't want you watching my back.

Talk about bending over and spreading your arse cheeks.

If you come over like someone who will let people get away with taking the piss, you can be rest assured those people will be able to identify you at 100 paces.

No one's suggesting getting mouthy and pugnacious but, trust me, a spine does have its uses when resisting bullies.

Yeah, ok, mate.

Just what TV needs, a keyboard Warrior who has wet dreams he's Jason Bourne.

Or is it just wet dreams for Jason Bourne?

Either way, thanks for the comedy.

Never heard of a soi that only Thais use.

What's a 60 year old doing on KSR?

Do you look like a Muslim?

I lived on KSR many years ago for about 6 months and have lots of stories.

Best thing to do is smile and let them search but try your best not to look intimidated. They DO plant things on tourists.

Yeah, ok, mate.

He says after ignoring the sentence "No one's suggesting getting mouthy and pugnacious but, trust me, a spine does have its uses when resisting bullies."

"Open wide, now, there's a good victim"

Yeah, ok, mate.

He says after ignoring the sentence "No one's suggesting getting mouthy and pugnacious but, trust me, a spine does have its uses when resisting bullies."

"Open wide, now, there's a good victim"

HardenedSoul?

Really? Maybe less a Jason Bourne type and more a Steven Seagal wannabe.

Now why don't you run along Sally.

I'm going out to grab a few beers on Sukhumvit Soi 8 so I'll have to miss your next comedy routine ;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

HardenedSoul?

Really? Maybe less a Jason Bourne type and more a Steven Seagal wannabe.

Now why don't you run along Sally.

I'm going out to grab a few beers on Sukhumvit Soi 8 so I'll have to miss your next comedy routine ;-)

Ok well try not to walk to close to any street lamps, won't you?

Wouldn't want you getting frightened by your own shadow, would we?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I assume any countries police have the rite to frisk search a suspect no?

Op someone mentioned middle eastern guys and Israeli guest houses, do you fit the description of a dark haired or middle eastern look?

No not really - I from UK and I dress and look like a Sainsbury shopper - I always make sure to wear smart casual clothes, well groomed, no distinguishing outer symbols or markings, with no tattoos and no clothing typical of eastern people - I tend to overdress smart / never wear shorts or t-shirts even in warm weather.

And I would have thought I would be the least likely (by appearance) to suggest drugs (or bombs) carrying - stereotype.

Well, long pants and sleeved shirts isn't how tourists dress, it's how Muslims dress, and if the area has a Jewish community that has been targeted, perhaps your appearance isn't so innocuous. Do you have a dark complexion, a beard? Wearing a tagiyah on your head? Dirty knees?

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 1

Cop or no cop, I would resist for sure since they don't have the right to do it the way they did it. Then they would come with the well practiced -i arrest you- stuff but I would rather memorize their badge number, get arrested, get out soon anyway, contact the best lawyers and end their career so they can look for a job instead of bombs and guns.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Can't use the smiley function, so 5555555555555555555555555.

Never happened to me in over 15 years, despite carrying all sorts of pharmaceutical delights regularly. Tall, Caucasian, fluent in Thai, and usually driving a posh car or SUV, both with small but quite visible authentic military insignia facilitating passage through the army barracks by Don Muean. I never could understand why my luck never ran out, but kept the quantities to what might seem a reasonable amount for personal consumption.

Edited by BanTamo

Never happened to me in over 15 years, despite carrying all sorts of pharmaceutical delights regularly. Tall, Caucasian, fluent in Thai, and usually driving a posh car or SUV, both with small but quite visible authentic military insignia facilitating passage through the army barracks by Don Muean. I never could understand why my luck never ran out, but kept the quantities to what might seem a reasonable amount for personal consumption.

ive been stopped and searched once or twice with pharmacy items like valium etc and other pills for my gfs dad in little bags from the victory monument pharmacies and in general the police havent got a clue whats a controlled medicine and what isnt

i had clonazepam loose in a bag once whicg is supposed to be a controlled or perscription only med but they did a road side test of sniffing the tablets :D and breaking one of them open to see what colour was the inside or something ...........then they fined me 400b for driving in the "fastlane " and gave me all the medicines back after decideing they were probably not illegal .........scientific or what lol...:D