50 dead as number of influenza cases in Thailand jumps dramatically

webfact

50 dead as number of influenza cases jumps dramatically
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- FIFTY PEOPLE have been killed by seasonal influenza, which has hit more than 30,000 people this year, prompting the Public Health Ministry to be on alert.

Public Health permanent secretary Narong Sahametapat said he had instructed all public and private hospitals to be on alert for possible cases of infection with the H1N1 virus, a virulent seasonal-flu virus.

Doctors were asked to administer the Oseltamivir drug to patients immediately if their condition does not improve in two days.

Narong said the Public Health Ministry had received reports that since the beginning of the year till Friday, there had been 30,024 seasonal influenza cases, and most of the illness was caused by the H1N1 virus.

Compared with the same period last year, the influenza cases jumped by 36 per cent, he said, adding that no one was killed by influenza last year.

Narong said most Thais did not have a strong immunity against the H1N1 virus so it was expected that many people would be hit by the virus.

He said the ministry had formed a panel of experts to monitor the situation to provide advice to doctors nationwide around the clock.

Narong added that the ministry would soon provide vaccinations against H1N1 to the most at risk groups.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-28

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

These reports on malaria, influenza, etc. never say in what part of BKK they are occurring. Useless.

No malaria in Bangkok, but yes you would have thought more info would be useful.

It might help to also include symptoms as well as locations, for those of us who just got back from up-country and haven't felt well since!

I was up country and returned to BKK last Saturday. Left BKK on Tuesday to go back to work. I've been bedded down for the last 2 days with serious flu symptoms so I'm going to the hospital today to get checked out. It may not be related but taking no chances. I was thinking I caught something on the plane to work but now I read this story I am not so sure.

The email alert seems a tad excessive.

Scores dead as influenza virus rips through Thailand

50 = 2.5 x "score." So technically accurate, but generally when someone speaks of scores of people it's a much larger number.

And while the deaths of 50 people for any reason is a noteworthy thing to report, annually influenza kills a substantial number of vulnerable people worldwide, so local statistics don't seem to be cause for undue alarm (although here at TV, almost everything is a cause for alarm).

Worldwide, these annual epidemics [of influenza] are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 250 000 to 500 000 deaths.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs211/en/

Edited by Suradit69

So we have no clue as to "where" in Thailand these deaths occurred. 50 deaths so far s not an insignificant number for a "seasonal flu."

It's a lot less significant than the HUGELY unusual 0 deaths last year.

Example: In 2009-10 flu season, there were 198 deaths. This is working out to not much above average.

wasn't there a H1N1 outbreak in Chiang Mai the beginning of the year and there were a number of army cadets who were infected?.

There is an influenza Type A (H1N1) outbreak EVERY year, and in Thailand typically beginning in the north since the annual flu comes, always, from northern China and migrates around the world. Every year. Watch your health, wash your hands, etc etc, but as even the higher than usual numbers this year indicate, the flu usually makes you feel horrible for a few days before it passes on, like a really severe cold for most people.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

So the Thai govt is still recommending using what seems to be a useless drug.

http://rt.com/news/flu-drug-britain-spending-600/

The article you quote seems to be pointing out (alleged) British government waste and also refers to "ant flu." While researchers may have a valid point of disagreement with WHO, if the Thai government is following WHO guidelines (rather than those of a country that regularly hosts epidemics of mad cow disease, foot & mouth disease, etc), that's hardly irresponsible decision making.

The British government wasted $896 million dollars on buying two ant-flu drugs, despite their not being proven to prevent infections spreading or stop serious illness, according to scientists who spent four years studying and analyzing the medications.

6757277_f260.jpg

• Like 1

Sensational headline with a dearth of information. Great. I am now *just* informed enough to be alarmed, but not informed enough to do something about it.

Excuse me while I spend the next hour tracking down some useful info.

T

This was useful. It made you aware to research it. It notified us that its not overly virulent. It stated Asians have low immunity.

That glass looks half full to me ;-)

• Like 1

saroq, on 28 Apr 2014 - 10:00, said:

Good hygiene is key. Washing your hands often and well still remains the most effective preventative act you can perform aside from staying home.

We are talking about influenza.

Person to Person

People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses are spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might also get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth or nose.

Tom420, on 28 Apr 2014 - 10:43, said:

50 deaths out of 30,000, I like those odds. until that thing mutates in a way in which is can be transmitted via sneezing or simple touch, then I am not going to worry in all honesty.

Person to Person

People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses are spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might also get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth or nose.

Sensational headline with a dearth of information. Great. I am now *just* informed enough to be alarmed, but not informed enough to do something about it.

Excuse me while I spend the next hour tracking down some useful info.

T

This was useful. It made you aware to research it. It notified us that its not overly virulent. It stated Asians have low immunity.

That glass looks half full to me ;-)

You're breaking a cardinal TV rule there, buddy. This is Lamentation Central. Glass-half-full kinda guys get chewed up and spit out after being tarred and feathered. I imagine that tastes funny, but they seem to like that here.

Get with the program.

T

• Like 1

Tom420, on 28 Apr 2014 - 10:43, said:

50 deaths out of 30,000, I like those odds. until that thing mutates in a way in which is can be transmitted via sneezing or simple touch, then I am not going to worry in all honesty.

Person to Person

Then that makes me feel even better, thanks. 1 in 600 chance of dying from this thing and most of those will be people who are already ill, poor nutrition or the elderly. It still needs to be made a lot more clear to the masses though, trying to cover up the severity of it doesn't do anybody any good, in fact it probably makes things worse.

Tom420, on 28 Apr 2014 - 14:40, said:
Rorri, on 28 Apr 2014 - 13:03, said:
Tom420, on 28 Apr 2014 - 10:43, said:Tom420, on 28 Apr 2014 - 10:43, said:

Person to Person

Then that makes me feel even better, thanks. 1 in 600 chance of dying from this thing and most of those will be people who are already ill, poor nutrition or the elderly. It still needs to be made a lot more clear to the masses though, trying to cover up the severity of it doesn't do anybody any good, in fact it probably makes things worse.

Yeah, just remember, next time you see/hear someone sneezing or coughing hold you breath and run lol..good luck... or become paranoid and wear a surgical mask. Just remember, the majority of victims survive, more people will die from smoking and drinking related illnesses, but we don't see any campaigns to stop it... too much money being make.

• Like 1

There were 30,000 people affected in four months of this year with 50 dead and only now the ministry will start providing vaccinations against H1N1 to the most at "risk groups?"

Influenze is seasonal and the timing of its cases can be reasonably predicted. The susceptability of Risk groups to influenza is no secret. H1N1 is spread by bodily contact and inhilation so that it becomes a threat to the health of the general population as well. Perhaps the Minister of Health should direct more of his attention to disease prevention and less to politics.