Bangkok: Internal Security Act (ISA) extended to June 30th

webfact

Internal Security Act extended to June 30th

BANGKOK, 28 April 2014 (NNT) - The Cabinet has given the green light to an extension of the Internal Security Act (ISA) for another 61 days as a result of the ongoing political protests.

Lieutenant Sunisa Pertpakawat, the Deputy Spokeswoman for the Prime Minister’s Office, announced that the act would be extended from May 1st until June 30th for Bangkok and its vicinity, following the Center for the Administration of Peace and Order’s proposal earlier.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has also instructed Labor Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung to consider deploying a smaller number of police officers, as there has been a decreasing number of protesters, while adding that such a move would be beneficial to the country’s budget.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet also approved a 73 million baht budget for the Royalty Security Command and a 3.9 million baht budget for the funeral ceremony of the supreme patriarch His Holiness Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara who recently passed away.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-28 footer_n.gif

Cabinet extends security act enforcement until end of June
By English News

13986783482977.png

BANGKOK, April 28 – Thailand's caretaker Cabinet today extended the Internal Security Act (ISA) in the capital and its adjacent provinces for another two months amid worries over possible confrontations between rival political groups.

Government deputy spokeswoman Sunisa Lertpakawat said the ISA, which is due to expire at the end of this month, will be extended from May 1 through June 30 in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani's Lad Lum Kaew district and Samut Prakan's Bangplee district.

The ISA extension came as political movements persist, while the public, she said, has been instigated to cause possible confrontations between opposing political factions and subsequent disorder.

Ms Sunisa said there would be some adjustment in the deployment of security personnel as the number of protesters in some areas has decreased.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said before the Cabinet meeting that the number of military deployed will be reduced to three or four thousand, but the number of police officers will be increased to monitor the situation.

Mr Surapong is chief advisor to the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO).

Meanwhile, the red shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) today said it cannot say if the mass protest set for May 6 on Aksa Road in Nakhon Pathom will be prolonged or not, but pledged that the move will be peaceful.

Key UDD leader Natthawut Saikua said it depends on the ruling of the Constitutional Court on caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's allegedly unlawful transfer of National Security Council chief Thawil Pliensri.

He said the red shirts are ready to accept a court ruling against the caretaker if it is fair and reasonable although Ms Yingluck will have to stop performing her premiership duties. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-28

Sounds great! Less police and both the Reds and PDRC calling for major rallies this coming month. Plus we have Chalerm quoting to have special forces attack the PDRC to get their leaders. On the surface it looks like YL is making it easy for more violence to erupt.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

" Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has also instructed Labor Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung to consider deploying a smaller number of police officers, as there has been a decreasing number of protesters, while adding that such a move would be beneficial to the country’s budget. "

" Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said before the Cabinet meeting that the number of military deployed will be reduced to three or four thousand, but the number of police officers will be increased to monitor the situation. "

These two statements - by Yingluck and by Surapong - directly contradict each other. This is but the latest indication that Yingluck is completely out to pasture with not only what the official position is ( which is likely Surapong's ) but that she doesn't actually understand it. Surapong's push to reduce the army presence and to subsequently increase the presence of Thaksin's police has been attempted before - unsuccessfully. Doing do would bring the level of attacks against the protesters back to January levels. The army has been able to provide a level of security that the police never were.

• Like 1

The language you use, Mr Scamper, is interesting and revealing of your true beliefs, motivations and sympathies. "Thaksin's police", you write.

That is exactly the phrase I heard spoken in January this year by a PDRC leader, from the open-top PDRC battle bus as it cruised through Bangkok. I think he was one of the "Ferarri duo" - those 2 rich kid supporters of the PDRC, who were featured on ThaiVisa a few days ago. "Thaksin's police" he said, with hatred and contempt in his voice. He was speaking English at that moment as he demanded that in the new PDRC state, "Thaksin's police" would have to be "reformed".

The PDRC never explain what they mean by reform but I always believe that "by their fruits ye shall know them". Look at the brutal PDRC guards. Look at the convict-assassin employed as a bodyguard by one of the "Ferarri duo". These guards are rogues and vagabonds, and I'd suggest that the people employed reflect the people who employ them.

The police are needed on the streets, Mr Scamper, because the PDRC contains many troublemakers. And for future reference, mind your language: the police are not "Thaksin's police", they are "The Royal Thai Police".

Mr Scamper I wonder if you are working for the PDRC? Why otherwise would you write the nonsense that you write? Virtually all the international media see the PDRC for what it is: at best a borderline-criminal organisation (for its behaviour in blocking elections), at worst a bunch of fascists. These people are destroying Thailand's economy and reputation, and people like you, by continually attacking the legitimate government, are giving these PDRC bullies the scrap of credibility that they so desperately want.

Edited by anteater
  • Like 1

Citing Fear of Protest Clashes, Govt Extends ISA
By Khaosod English

13986821961398682622l.jpg
Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra leaving cabinet meeting at the national science museum, 28 April 2014.

BANGKOK — The head of the National Security Council has insisted that it is necessary to extend the Internal Security Act (ISA) for another 61 days in order to prevent clashes between rival protest groups.

Pro-government Redshirts have scheduled their next mass rally on 6 May, while the anti-government People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) has also promised "one last struggle" against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra in the coming weeks.

"I have to admit I am concerned by these assemblies," said National Security Council Chief Lt.Gen. Paradorn Pattanatabutr at a science museum in Pathumthani province where today's cabinet meeting was held.

"[We] have to monitor the situation closely. At this point, there are many potential perpetrators. Third-hand parties have infiltrated the demonstrators. The violence is also spreading further."

He added, "I will stress to the authorities that their priority should be to separate the two large protest groups in order to avoid confrontation."

Nevertheless, Lt.Gen. Paradorn insisted that the government can contain the situation, and there is no need to re-impose a state of emergency over Bangkok in the foreseeable future.

"I believe the ISA can contain the situation. We don't need to use special laws," Lt.Gen. Paradorn said.

The extension of the ISA will last for 61 days, until the end of June. In theory, the ISA grants law enforcement authorities increased power to respond to protesters, including the authority to bar demonstrators from entering particular roads or buildings, detain suspects without charges, and censor the media.

Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said he will advise Ms. Yingluck to decrease the number of army troops deployed to oversee the streets of Bangkok.

Mr. Surapong said a lighter presence of troops will help avoid attacks on military personnel, such as the alleged shooting and beating of an army colonel that occured at the hands of PCAD guards last week.

Mr. Surapong said he expects the number of soldiers currently deployed throughout Bangkok to drop from 10,000 to as low as 3,000.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1398682196&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-29

Surapong.... You probably set up that soldier to be beaten to justify the extension of the ISA and the reduction of troops.... so go on.... Send Poo to order this troop stand down and wait for the refusal..... just adds to embarrass her and yourself a little more and show that neither of you are in control the way you think you are.

Strange how the top brass of the army never came out to condemn the attack on one of their men isn't it?

That's because they probably suspect the same as I do....... You paid the guy........ Purely based on the fact that there is no sane and logical reason why he did that.

• Like 1

The language you use, Mr Scamper, is interesting and revealing of your true beliefs, motivations and sympathies. "Thaksin's police", you write.
That is exactly the phrase I heard spoken in January this year by a PDRC leader, from the open-top PDRC battle bus as it cruised through Bangkok. I think he was one of the "Ferarri duo" - those 2 rich kid supporters of the PDRC, who were featured on ThaiVisa a few days ago. "Thaksin's police" he said, with hatred and contempt in his voice. He was speaking English at that moment as he demanded that in the new PDRC state, "Thaksin's police" would have to be "reformed".
The PDRC never explain what they mean by reform but I always believe that "by their fruits ye shall know them". Look at the brutal PDRC guards. Look at the convict-assassin employed as a bodyguard by one of the "Ferarri duo". These guards are rogues and vagabonds, and I'd suggest that the people employed reflect the people who employ them.
The police are needed on the streets, Mr Scamper, because the PDRC contains many troublemakers. And for future reference, mind your language: the police are not "Thaksin's police", they are "The Royal Thai Police".
Mr Scamper I wonder if you are working for the PDRC? Why otherwise would you write the nonsense that you write? Virtually all the international media see the PDRC for what it is: at best a borderline-criminal organisation (for its behaviour in blocking elections), at worst a bunch of fascists. These people are destroying Thailand's economy and reputation, and people like you, by continually attacking the legitimate government, are giving these PDRC bullies the scrap of credibility that they so desperately want.

Yes, Thaksin's (ex policeman) police, chief of police being his ex-wife brother in law, the previous Bangkok Metropolitan police chief infamously having a picture of him while Thaksin pinned his insignia with the caption "everything I have I owe it to you", to be replaced with a Thaksin loyalist from Chiang Mai. That's just the ones at the very top, then there was Thaksin's choice for the previous Bangkok elections, another policeman, Chalerm, ex policeman, etc, etc...

If you want more details, look up "Police Shake-Up Smacks of Thaksin" to see how he has stuffed the force with his men, specially those in charge of investigations.

• Like 1

Surapong.... You probably set up that soldier to be beaten to justify the extension of the ISA and the reduction of troops.... so go on.... Send Poo to order this troop stand down and wait for the refusal..... just adds to embarrass her and yourself a little more and show that neither of you are in control the way you think you are.

Strange how the top brass of the army never came out to condemn the attack on one of their men isn't it?

That's because they probably suspect the same as I do....... You paid the guy........ Purely based on the fact that there is no sane and logical reason why he did that.

Ever watch Thai TV ?, that incident has been covered extensively. Even the mad monk has apologised and PDRC guards have been sent to the hospital to visit the Officer.