What TV screen size & type good for youtube viewing

THAIPHUKET

Huge screen are being offered with Internet viewing capability. This can´t be acceptable viewing quality.

I like e.g. to watch

The Hunchback of Notre Dame 1997 (fabulous acting, one can fall in love with a monster)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCHm5DURhMw or

Stiff Upper Lip. Comedy with Peter Ustinov

http://youtu.be/BQyr-EXRJsQ

up to what size screen makes sense? What type, brand ?

Edited by THAIPHUKET

There's plenty of 1080P YouTube content, and it streams just fine on decent consumer internet connections, so the answer is: the screen size that looks best for you at 1080P I guess wink.png

Here's a link to help get you started: https://www.youtube.com/results?filters=hd%2C+long&search_query=insert+title+here&lclk=long

:P

Edited by IMHO

amazing! How far from the seats?

E.g. this one , is good enough?

I love the unexpected winners, here a prison officer, who won big

That's only 720P...

I have to say, I much prefer her singing accent :P

Edited by IMHO

not in your wildest dreams would I pollute my existence with anything from x factor so I cannot comment on how it plays. Sorry.

Fair enough, Spoonman. I have heard some incredible voices from the most unexpected.

Would you expect such Opera voice from a boy who slept for years homeless in toilets.

100 million viewers, not many were not deeply moved.

not in your wildest dreams would I pollute my existence with anything from x factor so I cannot comment on how it plays. Sorry.

Fair enough, Spoonman. I have heard some incredible voices from the most unexpected.

Would you expect such Opera voice from a boy who slept for years homeless in toilets.

100 million viewers, not many were not deeply moved.

I still recall getting shivers the first time I watched this:

There's plenty of 1080P YouTube content, and it streams just fine on decent consumer internet connections, so the answer is: the screen size that looks best for you at 1080P I guess wink.png

Here's a link to help get you started: https://www.youtube.com/results?filters=hd%2C+long&search_query=insert+title+here&lclk=long

tongue.png

@IMHO please check the link, don´t think it lead me where you want me to go

Thanks

tongue.png

@IMHO please check the link, don´t think it lead me where you want me to go

Thanks

That link was just to demonstrate using the "HD" and "Long" filters to help find the better HD content :)

Next question= what to look out for to have very good sound, no disco. Internal speakers facing front better?

Use auxiliary speakers like Sony sound bar? http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-ht-xt1/

I've never heard any flat panel TV I'd describe as having good sound... You will almost definitely prefer a soundbar over the built-in speakers, but don't expect a soundbar to sound as good as a high quality component system, for example.

How far you need to go, and how much you need to spend is all about what level of sound quality that makes you (and your wallet) happy... For some people that might be a 1.5K Baht 2.1 system, others a 5K baht HTIB system, for others it's a 10-15K baht soundbar, for some it's 100K+ worth of components, and for a few it's millions of baht worth of gear... Only your ears can tell you what your sweet spot is :)

If I buy a new screen, it should be good, same for the speakers, sound matters more than pixel. Ear is more sensitive than the eye.

The sofa is 3 m away from the fireplace where the screen will be fitted into, that determines the size, will figure it out.

Speakers could be placed on the side of the fireplace, discreet size , no big boxes. The room behind the fireplace is bigger but because the fireplace blocks the sound that should be less relevant.

Price= no clue, I don´t want to waste money on quality which I can´t see or hear. Just goood quality. For that I will pay.

Any specific suggestions ??

Viewing-Distance.jpg

Image credit: http://theosroundtable.com/andrew-robinson/andrew-robinson-too-close-4ks-effect-on-viewers-viewing-distances/

For a seating distance of 3M, 55" to 75" is the optimum size, according to this chart... and I concur smile.png

When it comes to audio, you have 3 basic options:

1) Buy a 2 channel system that sounds great on music, but doesn't do surround sound

2) Buy a surround system/soundbar that sounds good on movies, but sacrifices SQ on music

3) Spend (much) more money on something that's good at it all

My preference is always #3, but if forced, #1 would be my next choice - i.e. I'd happily lose surround sound before I lost sound quality.

My tastes could be quite different to your own, so these recommendations could be totally off the mark.... but here goes

JBL LSR305 powered studio monitors (approx. 13K Baht/pr imported) - very detailed, with an incredible soundstage (you won't miss a centre channel speaker for one second with these) and capable of genuine full range sound with bass. However as they are designed for perfecting the mix in recording studios they will not hide any flaws in the source material - so bad recordings won't shine on them. Unbelievably good sound for the money, with quality source material. Also, no need for a separate amplifier as they are fully active speakers (2 amplifier channels in each cabinet).

If your source material is a mixed bag of recording quality, and your willing to sacrifice a little 'truth' for something that just makes everything sound pleasant, I highly recommend looking at the Jamo C603 (13K/pr) and C803 (31K/pr) speakers - both are 6" 2-way 'bookshelf' speakers, so not too big, and both are incredibly good value in Thailand. In the middle of those it'd be the KEF Q300's (19K/pr) and up from all of those, my next pick would be the KEF LS50's (50K/pr) - but you're getting well into the "pricey" range now..

All of these latter suggestions will require a separate amplifier or AVR - an AVR will be better value overall, and will provide you with more upgrade/surround options. The new Denon AVR-X series have great sound and are good value (starting from 11K) and would probably be my top pick in the low-mid range in AVR's. Up from those you'll get more features and more channels, but it takes a whole lot more money to get better sound.

Perhaps someone else can help with some recommendations on soundbars and HTIB's?

Edited by IMHO

First, let me thank you for sharing your knowledge so generously! Will digest it. Yes, the screen will go here. No measurements taken yet. But as reference it may suffice that on top that is a 32 inch screen. So the new screen ideally would fit between the inner brick frame.

...............or end where the second brick frame BEGINNS. Should be optically ok too

post-64651-0-25483400-1398776527_thumb.j

Edited by THAIPHUKET

IMHO, that's a lot to think about. I guess I will end up with a two tear system. The fireplace TV will have to endure more THAI soap opera, occasionally a good English movie. Your more demanding suggestions will be in my computer room. However, when alone I listen / watch with earphones. I assume that yield still the best audio quality.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

IMHO, that's a lot to think about. I guess I will end up with a two tear system. The fireplace TV will have to endure more THAI soap opera, occasionally a good English movie. Your more demanding suggestions will be in my computer room. However, when alone I listen / watch with earphones. I assume that yield still the best audio quality.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A good pair of headphones can often be the best overall compromise, indeed :)

If you're going to turn your computer room into a man-cave, I would still heartily recommend the JBL studio monitors - they are especially impressive in near-field use (which is what they were ultimately designed for) - at 13K Baht/pr plus another couple of hundred for some signal cables, they're not that much more expensive than a good set of ear cans :)