Chalerm says election to be staged in military barracks

webfact

Yesterday, he wanted the army out.

Today, he wants the help of the army.

Tomorrow, he will come up with some stupid suggestion.

Always, a great entertainment listening to this clown.

And hopefully he will soon be moving back to Denmark.

Well he wont be going to Dubai for there you need a license to drink.

True Democracy would be:

- Political parties creast a list of 10 Priority reforms that each party can support

- Each Candidate campaigns and addresses their own personal opinion on the reforms.

- Election - Allow the people to vote for the Candidate based on their character and reform positions.

Isn't this democracy?

I can't imagine having an "Interim Election". We will be right back to this position in 1 year from now.

The proposed reform of elected governors and the police reporting to local authorties, would go a long way in breaking up the corrupt system as it now stands. Of course, Chalerm is against this, and that should be the fist reason to go this way. I would imagine most of the professional politicans as well as police upper management, would agree with Chalerm, more reason to push for this type of reform

Some might argue that the godfather system would become more prevelant, but is that possible? At least what tea money was collected would stay in the local economy and not be sent uphill to the fat cats. Pllus, with the national anti corruption movement taking place, the groups who can be called on to investigate same, and the potential local backlash to elected/suboranites involved in corruption, it would have a better chance of reducing what is out of sight and hand, under the Chalerm's of Thai politicsw.

I can't disagree with elected governors (or elected senators for that matters). I'm not sure if making police chiefs directly responsible to Tambon Administration Organisations would make things better or worse in terms of political interference. After all, the people in local politics still have national allegiances. I think it's correct to raise the point about local godfathers too. I've seen it claimed that - even at present - there's more money spent on elections for provincial organizations than there is on elections for local MPs in national elections. Someone told me the vote buying money is often double or triple that offered for national elections. Apparently there are more opportunities for corruption within these organizations than there are as an MP and they also wield more power at a local level, so it was only natural for local 'notables' and people of influence to channel their energy in that direction.

Police and local politicians are already often deeply intertwined, I don't see how this move would change that and in fact it'd just as likely further entrench such ties. It'd make elections for TAOs even more crucial for local godfathers, meaning more vote buying and as more money is spent, more needs to be regained through corruption. And more money spent means that local police better provide value for that money in turning a blind eye to that same corruption and providing other useful services.

Of course, it works both ways. Obviously the idea is that after this reform, those at the top have less power and hopefully that would mean less corruption - though that's far from guaranteed. But also having more power at the top is often the only way to break up local networks of corruption (although generally, only those who are enemies of those with national power suffer).

I think this particular reform is of unclear virtue. Has it really been thought through or was it more of a back of a fag packet idea thought up in order to give legitimacy to the claim that Suthep's movement is really about genuine reform for the greater good and not in fact simply about purging the country of Thaksin's influence in order to regain power and its benefits for themselves as some cynical people have claimed?

Why all this chatter .He just wants the elections to be administered through the military barracks to try to avoid obstructions in the future.

We all know that the Police are totally inept...and maybe the Military should be used to protect and control the voting booths.

Makes good sense. Of course, Suthep can still cause problems. but who's more prepared to protect the voters, the military or police?

• Like 1

The caretaker labour minister went on saying that he totally rejected the idea of the election of all provincial governors

Bang!!! Here you have it guys. PT doesn't want governors to be elected. A clear example of Red Democracy. Also a clear example that PT doesn't want things to change and doesn't want to decentralize power in order to tackle corruption better.

Have a nice day!!

• Like 2

And hopefully he will soon be moving back to Denmark.

Well he wont be going to Dubai for there you need a license to drink.

Not true. You can buy alcoholic drinks in hotel bars and other specified places in Dubai. This doesn't apply to the whole of the UAE though.

• Like 1

I wonder whether this decision was run past the caretaker-PM/DM, before the announcement that "The Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) will coordinate with the military to stage election in military barracks" ?

She surely should have been consulted, in both of her capacities, but was she ?

Chalerm seems to fantasise that his CAPO has jurisdiction nationwide but actually it has it only in Bangkok and some districts of surrounding provinces. So he will try to do this in his own districts?

It would be nice to think that every vote was going to be cast in a barracks

Might make it a bit harder to interfere with the boxes and ensure value for money with paid posts clap2.gif

I'm always happy to see the senseless utterings of this stooge which would be more at home in the pub comedy forum.

Here he reveals that central control is what he wants despite the last two constitutions emphasising devolved power. I have some agreement with Emptyset's doubts about police being under the local Tambon. He doesn't mention the election of the overall police chief which is very much needed as is anything to release the hold over the police by Thaksin via his party.

Why not allow the local police chiefs to be elected too? In both cases the appointments within the force would be made by the elected chiefs. Somehwat similar to the US system, which is not perfect, but definitely better than the existing system.

Yet another outrageous unilateral decision and announcement by Chalerm. The EC is the only body that can make any such decisions, and the EC is the only body that can make such announcements. From Thaksin to Chalerm's mouth. In January Pheu Thai was repeatedly making these unilateral decisions, in the midst of vocal EC's protestations. One such unilateral decision was moving registration venues to police stations. Chalerm's at it again. Without consulting the EC, without consulting the army - the next election will take place in army barracks for the first time in its history - care of Chalerm.

You say "outrageous unilateral decision". Really?

When I last checked, Chalerm was a member of the current government. Why should an elected politician check with your darling EC or Army?

Elected people have been elected. Geddit? That means they have authority to act.

To clarify: The current Thai government was elected. Can you understand that concept? Here's how it works (because you yellow ammarts just don't understand): The government gets into power because it is "elected" by the people? This happens through what we call "elections"...

Oh, forget it...

So now, according to your twisted yellow, ammart values, the government has no right to act?

Get a life, Mr Scamper. Take up billiards, curling, cricket. Anything so you won't impose your anti-democratic opinions on us. I wonder what country you come from? Do you really think that suggesting "anti-democracy" would have any appeal in your country? So why do you try your nonsense on us in Thailand?

Here's how it works: the Government gets elected. They then have authority to act until the next elections. No pathetic, weasly, excuses. They are elected. If you want to change things you campaign and you get another party elected at the next elections. Geddit?

What pathetic nonsense you preach! Why does such crap even get put on ThaiVisa!

Yet another outrageous unilateral decision and announcement by Chalerm. The EC is the only body that can make any such decisions, and the EC is the only body that can make such announcements. From Thaksin to Chalerm's mouth. In January Pheu Thai was repeatedly making these unilateral decisions, in the midst of vocal EC's protestations. One such unilateral decision was moving registration venues to police stations. Chalerm's at it again. Without consulting the EC, without consulting the army - the next election will take place in army barracks for the first time in its history - care of Chalerm.

You say "outrageous unilateral decision". Really?

When I last checked, Chalerm was a member of the current government. Why should an elected politician check with your darling EC or Army?

Elected people have been elected. Geddit? That means they have authority to act.

To clarify: The current Thai government was elected. Can you understand that concept? Here's how it works (because you yellow ammarts just don't understand): The government gets into power because it is "elected" by the people? This happens through what we call "elections"...

Oh, forget it...

So now, according to your twisted yellow, ammart values, the government has no right to act?

Get a life, Mr Scamper. Take up billiards, curling, cricket. Anything so you won't impose your anti-democratic opinions on us. I wonder what country you come from? Do you really think that suggesting "anti-democracy" would have any appeal in your country? So why do you try your nonsense on us in Thailand?

Here's how it works: the Government gets elected. They then have authority to act until the next elections. No pathetic, weasly, excuses. They are elected. If you want to change things you campaign and you get another party elected at the next elections. Geddit?

What pathetic nonsense you preach! Why does such crap even get put on ThaiVisa!

EC manages the election not the government

So if you want to change that ...........

nuff said

but as far as I know if was one of the security things for the election by EC so Chalerm should have kept his mouth shut

He does this because he can't remember what he said five minutes ago.

Maybe he is embarrassed to remember what he said

Wonder if he has cleared that with either the military or the EC or is it just an excess of ear medication talking ?

I'm hoping the army clears him out of the way once and for all. He does nothing constructive; only destructive for society. Maybe his liver will give up one of these days..

He's quite the survivor. I remember during one of the many no confidence votes years ago, before he ever held appointed office, he was playing his usual role of threatening to reveal where the bodies were buried. A leading politician of the time, General Sanan, burst out angrily over how ungrateful chalerm was. After all, Gen. Sanan said, when he was an Army sergeant they (I think he meant "influential people") had intervened to prevent Chalerm from being arrested and tried for extortion. They even helped him transfer to the police force where he rose in rank to Captain. Now here he was, biting the hand that fed him. I thought it was hilarious. When was that, 1998? I'm pretty sure it was pre-Thaksin. He hasn't always been a clown, though. His constituents in Thon Buri adore him, but he's also reputed to dontrol some darker elements.

Edited by Acharn

Sorry to disagree, but after following the pronouncements of Pol. Capt. Chalerm for 15 years, I have come to he conclusion that nothing embarrasses him. One can hardly be embarrassed by what one does not remember and Thai culture keeps anyone in his circle from reminding him of the contradictions with previous statements. He leads a very sheltered life; surrounded by sycophants and colleagues who are afraid to challenge him.

• Like 1

Sorry to disagree, but after following the pronouncements of Pol. Capt. Chalerm for 15 years, I have come to he conclusion that nothing embarrasses him. One can hardly be embarrassed by what one does not remember and Thai culture keeps anyone in his circle from reminding him of the contradictions with previous statements. He leads a very sheltered life; surrounded by sycophants and colleagues who are afraid to challenge him.

I was being sarcastic and I do agree with you.

In the cesspool that is Thai politics he is an obvious turd that had floated to the top. He is defiantly part of the problem and there is no hope of him every becoming part of the solution. As with Thaksin he is clearly a symptom that need to addressed before there is any real hope of addressing the underlying disease.

• Like 2

True Democracy would be:

- Political parties creast a list of 10 Priority reforms that each party can support

- Each Candidate campaigns and addresses their own personal opinion on the reforms.

- Election - Allow the people to vote for the Candidate based on their character and reform positions.

Isn't this democracy?

I can't imagine having an "Interim Election". We will be right back to this position in 1 year from now.

Also NO party list MPs.

If you want to be an MP get out to a constituency and EARN your job and all the responsibilites that go with it.

What does it mean to "stage election in military barracks" . Will every constituency be represented in the relatively few army barracks there are across the country? Will people have to travel so far to vote? Several constituencies per barrack?

Either Chalerm is talking incoherently or the Thai journalist responsible for this article can't express themselves properly in English. Based on past form, I'd say it's 50-50 as to which is the case this time.

He is talking out of his arse again. This would definitely not be regarded as a free and fair election. Polling stations need to be accessible to constituents and not in an environment that might be perceived as intimidating. Voters in areas with no barracks would have to travel and PT would be accused of providing transport which the EC would classify as vote buying - very clever idea. There may be some provinces with no military barracks at all.

Edited by Dogmatix