US: Oklahoma botches execution as man dies of heart attack

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ,i have read all the ways to execute somebody and through personal experience i am not afraid to admit that i when suffering from severe depression and i mean severe hung myself not a drop but slow strangulation from a rope , it is in my experience a pleasant way to go the oxygen is cut from the brain and you just go to sleep.fortunately i was found by my son and revived,not pleasant for him and something i am forever trying to atone for. i say this as now am completely cured of this disturbing condition and by admitting to it i hope to atone for the anguish i put my family through. sorry just a rant for my own conscience.

Right let's get this rubbish sorted out

1 he stopped the process after the first injection then he died of a heart attack after giving the full 3 injunctions, who writes this rubbish. At least he died of a heart attack I thought that was the way it suppose to happen

ok ,i have read all the ways to execute somebody and through personal experience i am not afraid to admit that i when suffering from severe depression and i mean severe hung myself not a drop but slow strangulation from a rope , it is in my experience a pleasant way to go the oxygen is cut from the brain and you just go to sleep.fortunately i was found by my son and revived,not pleasant for him and something i am forever trying to atone for. i say this as now am completely cured of this disturbing condition and by admitting to it i hope to atone for the anguish i put my family through. sorry just a rant for my own conscience.

At least you came through Heybuz.

How can this be classed as a " botched ' execution as the guy is dead. Isn't that a successful execution ?

As already said how hard is it to kill a person ? What about a large dose of uncut heroin ?

Maybe because heroin is Illegal??coffee1.gif

I propose drowning, it takes a lot longer but the convict suffers in silence, but he is suffering believe me. Thailand used to have public executions back in the Seventies when I was stationed there - Songtel driver repeatedly raped an 11 year old American girl over two week period, then left her to die - The soldiers at the basy were invited to view the justice and it is evident, all the rifles had bullets. When they finished shooting that guy he had holes in every part of his body...........none in the head, thats where Buddha lives, I thought justice was served, because most of the wounds were none lethal - when I asked my driver why they shot him so many times without a head shot - he replied, "No one wanted to kill him, we are all buddhist" - so he eventually bled out, and the best part is - the rapist/murderer felt every single bullet - that is sweet revenge. The US should consider this method.whistling.gifwhistling.gif

How can this be classed as a " botched ' execution as the guy is dead. Isn't that a successful execution ?

As already said how hard is it to kill a person ? What about a large dose of uncut heroin ?

Methadone then. All it is, is synthetic heroin and even more deadly.

Though medical heroin is not likely to be approved for addiction treatment in the United States, Schechter said, the study did find that hydromorphone had similar advantages and is already approved for use in the United States. However, the study did not include enough people in the hydromorphone group, he said, so more research is needed.coffee1.gif

Dignitas are doing it daily (for good reasons), they don't seem to have any problems like this.

Botched Oklahoma execution threatens Americans’ preferred form of capital punishment

A botched Oklahoma execution Tuesday in Oklahoma threatens to undermine lethal injection as Americans' most palatable form of capital punishment.

Why do Americans have such a strong preference for lethal injection? While executing murderers is an long American tradition, the practice seems to be something people tolerate but don't revel in. Just 15 percent said they would want to watch Timothy McVeigh's execution on television in 2001, according to a CBS News poll at the time. Today, the public prefers capital punishment that is fair, out of sight, and performed as humanely as possible. Lethal injection is seen as the best of a series of bad options.

I think some states are considering adding, or should I say bringing back, previously used methods of execution like the electric chair.

I guess a few states still/currently have alternative forms of execution available to complement lethal injection.

Oklahoma appears to still have electrocution and firing squad available, but I'm guessing they might not have a functional electric chair on hand?

Oklahoma offers firing squad only if lethal injection and electrocution are found unconstitutional.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/methods-execution

According to the report prepared for the Governor of Oklahoma, this guy was a scum bag to the very end

Defiant Lockett Tasered hours before execution

source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/01/oklahoma-clayton-lockett-execution/8570625/

And this is the guy next in line to the 'throne'. Have a read of the first 10 paragraphs WARNER v. STATE

http://law.justia.com/cases/oklahoma/court-of-appeals-criminal/2006/448151.html

These people are why there is a death penalty.

I could be wrong, but I understood that this "cocktail" of drugs wasn't to kill. I've read that they give the prisoner sedatives long before they take him to the death chamber. Then once they are ready, they give another drug which renders him unconcious. Only then do they administer the lethal dose.

It sounds like maybe they botched the anesthesia in a couple of cases.

They first gave him 100mg Midazolam intravenously. Midazolam is a sedative they use for conscious sedation while doing colonoscopies and other medical procedures. The average dose for conscious sedation is 5mg, so he got 20x the usual dose. However, Florida State is using 500mg or 100x the average dose.

From experience I can tell you that 5 to 7.5mg and you are in "La La Land". Most people don't remember much about their colonoscopies even if they cut out polyps which can be quite painful. 100mg to 500mg -- you're not around to experience the entertainment. Was the execution painful? I doubt there was anyone home to experience pain -- his body was just reacting to the potassium chloride which was stopping his heart, and his body was none too happy. If they had administered sufficient paralytic prior to the potassium chloride, he wouldn't have vocalized and flopped around.

See, what the public wants is The Illustion of a nice, clean, painless execution. If the condemned writhes and groans, it's too -- shocking and unconscionable -- for the witnesses and general public. Hypocrites.

Personally, I believe that if the state wants executions, then the executions should be public and swift. And I believe that a family member, friend of the deceased, or duly appointed member of the community should be the one pushing the button or pulling the lever to initiate the execution process. It is about vengeance. You say it isn't? We'll have to agree to disagree.

I'd just as soon see the condemned be condemned to a life is solitary confinement.

Edited by connda

The video of him slowly dieing should be shown on national TV. Maybe it will put others off doing the horrific crime he did.

Good one USA, whos next? Get them all lined up for this type of execution.

misterphil for president

Animals much larger than human beings get painlessly killed every day, why it is beyond the technical capabilities of the Americans to do this to (sometimes innocent) human beings is beyond me. I really have the impression that they want to make the process as unpleasant as possible. Probably the guy that thought this up was terrified of needles. Solitary confinement for many years, never touching another human being in all that time... and it doesn't bloody well work as a deterrent, it is about revenge.

Exactly! Veterinary surgeons use Nembutal (Pentobarbital) and the result is a peaceful and relatively quick death for the animal. I have never understood the need to administer this cocktail of drugs in prisons during the death penalty.

I wonder if you can get hold of Pentobarbital in Thailand; sometimes we need to put down one of our hens and I can't bring myself to dispatch them with a knife.

As I'm sure you know, pentobarbital is the gold standard for suicide. I truly hope you are not having any dark thoughts.

Animals much larger than human beings get painlessly killed every day, why it is beyond the technical capabilities of the Americans to do this to (sometimes innocent) human beings is beyond me. I really have the impression that they want to make the process as unpleasant as possible. Probably the guy that thought this up was terrified of needles. Solitary confinement for many years, never touching another human being in all that time... and it doesn't bloody well work as a deterrent, it is about revenge.

Exactly! Veterinary surgeons use Nembutal (Pentobarbital) and the result is a peaceful and relatively quick death for the animal. I have never understood the need to administer this cocktail of drugs in prisons during the death penalty.

Pentobarbital is the lethal drug they use for executions. They administer tranquilizers first. I learned this from a friend who used to be a prison guard.

How do they get the drugs? Do they send somebody across the border to Mexico to pick them up. They are a controlled substance and I don't think you can take the condemned to the Dr. and say, 'hey, we want a lethal dose for this guy."

In spite of what people think, even animals don't always die easily. The last think the body wants to do, down to nearly every single cell, is stay alive.

The video of him slowly dieing should be shown on national TV. Maybe it will put others off doing the horrific crime he did.

Good one USA, whos next? Get them all lined up for this type of execution.

misterphil for president

Capital punishment isn't a deterrent. If it was, then capital crime that is punished with public executions would cease to exist. Never has in the past, never will in the future. Just saying.

Capital punishment isn't a deterrent. If it was, then capital crime that is punished with public executions would cease to exist. Never has in the past, never will in the future. Just saying.

Maybe, but it sure is a deterrent to the one who is executed

• Like 1

How do they get the drugs?

That is the crux of the current issue. Prison officials are using compounding laboratories or pharmacies, and are counting on these facilities to deliver the drugs. Prison official do not care where, or how, the compounding labs source the drugs. and thus it opens the whole process up to illegal importation, or drugs which are not necessarily to spec.

There have been a lot of issues with these compounding pharmacies, not related to lethal injection drugs, involving safety or lack thereof, malfeasance, fraud, fatal outbreak of fungal meningitis, unsanitary conditions, etc.

In my home state, only four of thirty-seven licensed compounding pharmacies have passed safety and health inspections.

My home state abolished capital punishment ~ 1982/1984, but we did have one of the earliest in 1630 (hanging) and of course ~ twenty-six people were executed for practicing witchcraft. We've had so many wrongful murder convictions overturned (coerced confessions, planted evidence, jail-house snitches, coerced witnesses, bad representation, etc.) that attempts to reinstate capital punishment seem doomed to fail. Regarding Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, there was a Boston Globe poll taken in September, 57% of Boston respondents supported a life sentence for Tsarnaev. Thirty-three percent favored the death penalty. I'm honestly not sure how the Feds. might handle a potential execution, were he to be convicted and receive the death penalty?

I don't think anyone buys, or floats, the deterrence argument anymore, although that was quite popular for a long time. Now it's strictly about punishment/vengeance/retribution.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone buys, or floats, the deterrence argument anymore, although that was quite popular for a long time. Now it's strictly about punishment/vengeance/retribution.

Retribution in this case was more than called for. After hearing what he did to his 16 year old victim, I hope that he was conscious for all 43 minutes and suffering.

I hope that he was conscious for all 43 minutes and suffering.

The challenge with this kind of opinion is that:

- the courts may ultimately judge the method as being too cruel and unusual, and thus prohibit it.

- public opinion may turn further away from capital punishment if it is perceived as too cruel.

So if you are pro-capital punishment maybe best to express faux outrage when things go amiss, rather than appearing to be overly blood-thirsty?

If I were on a jury I could never endorse the death penalty.

And can you imagine how a jury member, or family member, will feel in twenty years when it is proven that the executed (not in this specific case) was innocent, perhaps because he was framed by the police, and another person got away with the crime?

• Like 1

<snipped>

If I were on a jury I could never endorse the death penalty.

And can you imagine how a jury member, or family member, will feel in twenty years when it is proven that the executed (not in this specific case) was innocent, perhaps because he was framed by the police, and another person got away with the crime?

If it is a capital case, you would probably be eliminated from the jury if you are against the death penalty. If you know someone will likely get the death penalty, you might vote to acquit.