Thai police seize 5 tons of marijuana worth 500 million baht

webfact

In my former life I attended compulsory drug lectures and training

I was taught a lot about drugs too in high school. I realized years later that most of it was bullshit propaganda. Back then ethanol and tobacco weren't even considered as being drugs. Do you still believe that most of what you were taught in your "compulsory drug lectures and training" was factually true?

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does the illegal drugs trade cause nothing but grief and misery for countless victims around the world?

That's a very sweeping generalization. Drugs, both legal and illegal, also produce much pleasure and insight for many people around the world (though you won't often hear about the great pleasure that people derive from illegal drugs because they won't want to openly admit to engaging in illegal activity).

For example, watch this video for a wider perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--z9YIr9Bk

• Like 1

I did my time with this when I was younger but gave it away. I have also seen exactly what it can do to those that smoke it regularly or too much and it is not good. Strangely enough these people swear black and blue that it does no harm what so ever and is better for you than alcohol.

Overconsuming anything can be harmful. Even drinking too much water can kill. e.g. : Boy Dies From Drinking 18 Litres Of 'Holy Water'. See also: Water intoxication

Moderate consumption should be promoted, and excessive consumption should be frowned upon. People need to be educated about how much of any substance is an acceptable and relatively safe amount and frequency to consume. Activities like drinking games including competitions to see who can drink the most ethanol should be eradicated from society.

Some substances should not be taken too often either, e.g. even though MDMA is relatively quite safe, daily consumption would not be recommended (and is not often done anyway).

Edited by hyperdimension

you can smell it a mile off so is quite easy to detect, but as you say, you take precautions so will presumably take that into account.

So your concern is getting caught due to the fact that cannabis is illegal in many parts of the world. I agree that getting caught and being penalized can be harmful, much more so than the actual consumption of cannabis.

drinking is legal, being drunk isn't, especially when driving

Being drunk (over-consumption of ethanol) isn't legal?

My final point is that weed is often seen a a feeder drug that can lead onto the harder stuff.

If cannabis is legal then consumers may not want to cross into the harder drugs that are illegal as it would then make them criminals and at risk of being caught and penalized. That is why Netherlands separates drugs into two main categories - soft of which consumption is tolerated, and hard of which is cracked down on. The legal issue creates a barrier as suppliers of soft drugs (e.g. coffeshops) would not also supply or offer hard drugs.

You only quote part of my posts, but the issue is not what's legal in the Netherlands, we are discussing Thailand. If anyone wants to risk jail time because they can't do without an apparantly non-addictive fix of an illegal drug. Then go ahead and enjoy. Thailand has quite a few farangs staying at the lovely Bangkok Hilton. Ask them, if it was worth it.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In my former life I attended compulsory drug lectures and training

I was taught a lot about drugs too in high school. I realized years later that most of it was bullshit propaganda. Back then ethanol and tobacco weren't even considered as being drugs. Do you still believe that most of what you were taught in your "compulsory drug lectures and training" was factually true?[/quote

]What I do know, is that for me it wasn't worth the risk because of what would have happened if I tested positive on a test. Photos, film, testimonials from ex addicts and close family were not propaganda. Choose to believe what you want, do what you want. Your life, your opinion is just different from mine.

why does the illegal drugs trade cause nothing but grief and misery for countless victims around the world?

That's a very sweeping generalization. Drugs, both legal and illegal, also produce much pleasure and insight for many people around the world (though you won't often hear about the great pleasure that people derive from illegal drugs because they won't want to openly admit to engaging in illegal activity).

A very sweeping generalisation? Heard of drug wars, mafia, exploitation, dead users, low level crime and many other types of crime or doesn't it exist in deny everything druggie land? Oops, it seems some monks have been naughty boys!

Yes, the whole idea of a drug is to get a high and experience pleasure, but many are both addictive and destructive. I agree about alcohol and tobacco as I've said before. I drink and have drunk far more than what is advised by most doctors for most of my adult life, but it is legal and there's a difference.

Edited by watso63

A very sweeping generalisation? Heard of drug wars, mafia, exploitation, dead users, low level crime and many other types of crime or doesn't it exist in deny everything druggie land? Oops, it seems some monks have been naughty boys!

Yes, the whole idea of a drug is to get a high and experience pleasure, but many are both addictive and destructive. I agree about alcohol and tobacco as I've said before. I drink and have drunk far more than what is advised by most doctors for most of my adult life, but it is legal and there's a difference.

hello, Earth to watso! If weed was legal the there would be no drug gangs or mafia fights as you say over the product, it would be high quality and safer to consume and those nasty little gangs would have to move on to another scam. Even if you legalized all drugs (which I do not think is wise), those gangs would still go on and do another racket, still fight and cause misery because that is what they know and that is their profession. Not as if they are going to go and start working in 7/11 or something. Keeping drugs illegal keeps the violence and crime happenig, can you not see that?

And again yes you have made a major sweeping generalization, I am just glad that your type of thinker is a dying breed. I have taken screensots of your posts and showed them to people on another forum who say they are not surprised by your arguments because they are normal of someone of your level of ignorance, but as I mentioned you are a dying breed thank Jesus.

Tom420 - get a vaporizer bro.

I have thought about it trust me, but I cannot find any where I live and this would have to import it, and I don't want to import anything of that nature, too risky IMO. It is a good cal though, maybe a lunchbox vape or something like that.

hello, Earth to watso! If weed was legal the there would be no drug gangs or mafia fights as you say over the product, it would be high quality and safer to consume and those nasty little gangs would have to move on to another scam. Even if you legalized all drugs (which I do not think is wise), those gangs would still go on and do another racket, still fight and cause misery because that is what they know and that is their profession. Not as if they are going to go and start working in 7/11 or something. Keeping drugs illegal keeps the violence and crime happenig, can you not see that?

And again yes you have made a major sweeping generalization, I am just glad that your type of thinker is a dying breed. I have taken screensots of your posts and showed them to people on another forum who say they are not surprised by your arguments because they are normal of someone of your level of ignorance, but as I mentioned you are a dying breed thank Jesus.

What's with the personal insults, can't you debate something without losing the plot?

Ignorance is not knowing about something. I express an opinion that is different to yours. A dying breed, really?

My feet are firmly on the ground. It appears you are the one flying high in the sky somewhere trying to justify your right to consume illegal drugs in Thailand. Take your drugs, I don't care. If they were legal, then fine, but they're not. Get caught in Thailand and you can sit around all day with Gary Halpin and discuss how unjust Thailand is.

Ooh, showed my posts to your friends on other forums! Make sure you tell mummy wummy what a bad boy I am. I'm sure she's proud to have a junkie for a son. Or do junkies only take the "bad drugs"???

Edited by watso63

I have a friend who would love to find your street.

He got what he wanted but paid 600 baht for what must have been about 5 grams.

giggle.gif

Your friend is confirmation of P. T. Barnum's one IS born a minute theory.

Ya, I guess so.

I suppose he could have spent god knows how long running around sweltering Pattaya trying to save a couple hundred baht, but as the guy is a self-made millionaire, he wasn't too worried about spending a few quid to get the bit of smoke he wanted to enjoy on his holiday. I wish I were as much of a sucker as he is and had been able to build a million dollar business with my wife.

You do mean 1/2 a million dollar business, don't you?

LOL

That's true, and I've been divorced, so I should remember that what's yours is really only 1/2 yours in a marriage.

Firmly on the ground? I quote I drink and have drunk far more than what is advised by most doctors for most of my adult life lol. I ave not smoked weed in around 3 weeks or so, not exactly hankering for some either, if II get the chance then meh ok, if not again meh no issue. HAHA a junkie, seriously, 2014 ad still thinking weed is physically addictive, you really are more ignorant than I thought, My mum knows what I do and always as done as I am transparent with her, see is actually proud of what I have accomplished in life, much more than many people my age let me say that. The American multi Olympic gold medalist for swimming smokes weed, what as he accomplished? D was discovered by someone who was o LSD at te time, what did they accomplish? Ad you, with your drukered ways, what have you accomplished whilst drunk?

Edited by Tom420

You only quote part of my posts, but the issue is not what's legal in the Netherlands, we are discussing Thailand.

The usage and legaility of drugs around the world is very relevant to Thailand, as the drug laws in Thailand were simply a copy of the laws in the USA. See History of Marijuana Use and Anti-Marijuana Laws in Thailand. Here's a quote:

For most of its recorded history, Thailand, as with many other nations, had no laws prohibiting cannabis use or possession. This began to change in the early 20th century. As one of the original signatories to the League of Nations International Opium Convention of 1912, Thailand, then named Siam, enacted anti-drug legislation that enabled it to receive international grants, loans and benefits. Failing to do so would have prevented or placed these benefits in jeopardy.

Thailand's ONCB is even funded by USA.

The USA have been in the process of decriminalizing and legalizing cannabis, Should Thailand follow? Or is cannabis so deadly that you think Thailand should not follow this time, even though you think they were right to copy USA in the illegalization?

If anyone wants to risk jail time because they can't do without an apparantly non-addictive fix of an illegal drug. Then go ahead and enjoy. Thailand has quite a few farangs staying at the lovely Bangkok Hilton. Ask them, if it was worth it.

People don't take drugs just because "they can't do without" it. Many take them because they enjoy it. Do most people drink ethanol because they can't do without it? Your anti-drug bias is apparent, but are you anti-ethanol? Are you only pro-drug if it's legal? Would you be pro-cannabis (or at least not anti-cannabis) if it becomes legal (as it was before interference by USA) in Thailand?

If anyone wants to risk jail time because they can't do without an apparantly non-addictive fix of an illegal drug. Then go ahead and enjoy. Thailand has quite a few farangs staying at the lovely Bangkok Hilton. Ask them, if it was worth it.

Yes, the consequences of being caught with illegal drugs in Thailand are not good. It is the illegality that we are discussing and whether the billions of baht or USD spent in the war on illegal drugs has been money well spent. I am all for freedom of informed choice, so I support legalization, starting from the least harmful substances like cannabis and MDMA. The anti-drug statements from you and others do not hold much weight in light of scientific evidence of drug harms.

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

Source: Scoring drugs

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

Firmly on the ground? I quote I drink and have drunk far more than what is advised by most doctors for most of my adult life lol. I ave not smoked weed in around 3 weeks or so, not exactly hankering for some either, if II get the chance then meh ok, if not again meh no issue. HAHA a junkie, seriously, 2014 ad still thinking weed is physically addictive, you really are more ignorant than I thought, My mum knows what I do and always as done as I am transparent with her, see is actually proud of what I have accomplished in life, much more than many people my age let me say that. The American multi Olympic gold medalist for swimming smokes weed, what as he accomplished? D was discovered by someone who was o LSD at te time, what did they accomplish? Ad you, with your drukered ways, what have you accomplished whilst drunk?

It obviously doesn't do much for people's grammar though.

• Like 1

Photos, film, testimonials from ex addicts and close family were not propaganda.

They are propaganda if they don't tell the whole picture of recreational drugs, and it is a gigantic picture, not just the small and simple-minded misleading picture of "do drugs, ruin your life". You've only seen the bad side (from that propaganda that was passed as education or "training"), so that influences your perspective. The reality is that millions of people enjoy recreational drugs, and they take it because it gives them enjoyment. They don't have to, but it adds more fun to their lives. People spend their money on all sorts of things that they don't need, e.g. travel, but do so for enjoyment or entertainment or to experience something different.

Choose to believe what you want, do what you want. Your life, your opinion is just different from mine.

What I say is not all just opinion, but also facts.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

I am pleased you are successful and you have such an understanding mother. I'm glad you are in control of your habit. I'm glad you wouldn't miss the odd toke in the slammer too. But why all the obsession about weed if it is so unimportant in your life and the throwing of insults because I drink delicious legal beer?

So a swimmer smokes dope...and your point is??? What's the IOC thinking on weed?

Write what you want about me I don't care. On this issue we are at polar opposites. On others we may agree, or agree to disagree. Who knows, but it is one of the things I like about forums.

Have a nice day now.

Fault finding, nice one. I am really quite ill and my keyboard has a few sticky keys, so I am sorry if my grammar is not up to par with yours. How is your typing when you are totally wasted on alcohol? You also realise that alcohol kills brain cells whereas weed does not? Look around you, right here, look how you have been proven wrong time and time again with facts and info which you are ignoring. you are not ignorant, you are willfully ignorant which is worse.

It was your use of the word "nothing but" that led me to use the phrase "very sweeping generalization". I countered by saying that the illegal drug trade also brings a lot of enjoyment to those who choose to consume them.

I never dismissed the existence of the criminal and violent elements of the illegal drug trade. Legalization can help to eradicate those elements, just as legalization of ethanol did.

Edited by hyperdimension

Fault finding, nice one. I am really quite ill and my keyboard has a few sticky keys, so I am sorry if my grammar is not up to par with yours. How is your typing when you are totally wasted on alcohol? You also realise that alcohol kills brain cells whereas weed does not? Look around you, right here, look how you have been proven wrong time and time again with facts and info which you are ignoring. you are not ignorant, you are willfully ignorant which is worse.

I didn't cast any opinion about drugs or booze. So I am.not sure about who "you" is, and of what I have been proven wrong. Calm down. You seem a little paranoid.

Yes booze is far more dangerous than people give credit for. Weed is a difficult issue, but on the whole I think it could be legalised. Fact is, it isn't, so toke at your own risk.

I didn't cast any opinion about drugs or booze. So I am.not sure about who "you" is, and of what I have been proven wrong. Calm down. You seem a little paranoid.

Yes booze is far more dangerous than people give credit for. Weed is a difficult issue, but on the whole I think it could be legalised. Fact is, it isn't, so toke at your own risk.

How is debating something that you have an ideology about being paranoid? I am calm don't worry about that, I just like to get my point across, or at least try.

Photos, film, testimonials from ex addicts and close family were not propaganda.

They are propaganda if they don't tell the whole picture of recreational drugs, and it is a gigantic picture, not just the small and simple-minded misleading picture of "do drugs, ruin your life". You've only seen the bad side (from that propaganda that was passed as education or "training"), so that influences your perspective. The reality is that millions of people enjoy recreational drugs, and they take it because it gives them enjoyment. They don't have to, but it adds more fun to their lives. People spend their money on all sorts of things that they don't need, e.g. travel, but do so for enjoyment or entertainment or to experience something different.

Choose to believe what you want, do what you want. Your life, your opinion is just different from mine.

What I say is not all just opinion, but also facts.

What is also fact is a young girls brain overheated on ecstacy (considered by many to be a harmless recreational drug), swelled up so much that it came out of her ears and eyes. Saw the pictures, heard the testimony (propaganda) from the distraught, "we never knew she took drugs" parents.

Anyway, I have never stated that I am against legalising cannabis use and I do know hemp is a highly beneficial and useful plant in so many ways. Skunk is different and from what I can gather can lead to paranoia amongst other things.

Thailand may follow the lead shown by other countries. I don't know, but for now is it really worth the risk?

What is also fact is a young girls brain overheated on ecstacy (considered by many to be a harmless recreational drug), swelled up so much that it came out of her ears and eyes. Saw the pictures, heard the testimony (propaganda) from the distraught, "we never knew she took drugs" parents.

I never said MDMA was a harmless drug, and I've never heard anyone else say that either. Every substance (including water as I said above) can be harmful or deadly if taken to excess or taken without precaution. Yes, there have been deaths due to overheating and dehydration, and they have been known for a long time as the main risks of MDMA consumption, though it has also been widely known that they can be very easily avoided by taking breaks and drinking water regularly (but not overdoing the water drinking) during the experience in order to regulate body temperature.

I promote responsible and informed consumption. The problem of a lot of the "just say no" propaganda is that the don't inform, but just try to scare.

Here is an example of "responsible usage" material, which I'm sure was not part of your "training" on recreational drugs:

Thailand may follow the lead shown by other countries. I don't know, but for now is it really worth the risk?

I think it is worth the risk, and I don't see much risk anyway. What we have now, which is how it has been for too long, is not good. I don't have to list all the negative points of prohibition, as they've been covered. One notable positive point for legalization is medicinal value (e.g. treatment for epilepsy and pain that is much better than existing legal drugs), and another is easier access for pharmaceutical research.

Ethanol has a monopoly over the legal recreational drug trade despite it being one of the most harmful drugs to both users and society. People often want to wind down after a hard day or week with the help of a substance, and cannabis can be a much safer alternative than ethanol for such a purpose.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

Game set and match, great post hyperdimension. I assume you are aware of MAPs? They are trying to do great work within the medical industry, but as you say the illegal nature of such things prevents certain studies being done. The sheer ignorance of this guy though ad stubbornness is astonishing and whatever you say, whatever facts you provide, however well you present them, he will not change his mind because he is just that, a stubborn ignorant old man stuck inn his ways. And like I previously stated, I am glad he is a dying breed. The younger generations at least recognize the dangers and responsibilities that need to be put into practice for the most part, but they also know the benefits. I have little doubt that in a few decades things will be different and this guy will be a fossil of a man anyway.

Game set and match, great post hyperdimension. I assume you are aware of MAPs? They are trying to do great work within the medical industry, but as you say the illegal nature of such things prevents certain studies being done. The sheer ignorance of this guy though ad stubbornness is astonishing and whatever you say, whatever facts you provide, however well you present them, he will not change his mind because he is just that, a stubborn ignorant old man stuck inn his ways. And like I previously stated, I am glad he is a dying breed. The younger generations at least recognize the dangers and responsibilities that need to be put into practice for the most part, but they also know the benefits. I have little doubt that in a few decades things will be different and this guy will be a fossil of a man anyway.

Just gotta dig the knife in and twist! 51 years old isn't old, what I have seen and done in this world is far more than I would guess you will ever do. I would like to think my experiencies are greater and with experience comes knowledge. You appear to be very knowledgeable about your subject, but also very blinkered and refuse to accept others opinion.

I have previously acknowledged hemp is useful in many applications. For your information I grew up in a very tough working class area. Drugs were rife. I knew the low life scum that took and dealt drugs. I saw the result of their criminal behaviour on my community. I saw my dad when he was in hospital after a worthless piece of low life hit him over the head with a spade after he caught him trying to steal tools out of the garden shed to get money to pay for drugs.

Many of these people just smoked dope, but they were still bad people. I joined the Army to better my life. It was great and a real eye opener. I saw what happened to others careers when they got caught after smoking weed. It showed me what teamwork was all about, the importance of relying on a trusted colleague when in life threatening situations. I and my colleagues served and fought for the freedoms you and your sort take for granted.

I don't ask or want anything from people like you. I have tried to be reasonable in debate with you, but you appear to be both unreasonable and uncivilised. I no longer say that I don't care about your drug taking. I now know you have no respect for Thai law, Thailand or its people and I actually hope you get caught and punished with the full weight of the law on your shoulders.

Just gotta dig the knife in and twist! 51 years old isn't old, what I have seen and done in this world is far more than I would guess you will ever do. I would like to think my experiencies are greater and with experience comes knowledge. You appear to be very knowledgeable about your subject, but also very blinkered and refuse to accept others opinion.

I have previously acknowledged hemp is useful in many applications. For your information I grew up in a very tough working class area. Drugs were rife. I knew the low life scum that took and dealt drugs. I saw the result of their criminal behaviour on my community. I saw my dad when he was in hospital after a worthless piece of low life hit him over the head with a spade after he caught him trying to steal tools out of the garden shed to get money to pay for drugs.

Many of these people just smoked dope, but they were still bad people. I joined the Army to better my life. It was great and a real eye opener. I saw what happened to others careers when they got caught after smoking weed. It showed me what teamwork was all about, the importance of relying on a trusted colleague when in life threatening situations. I and my colleagues served and fought for the freedoms you and your sort take for granted.

I don't ask or want anything from people like you. I have tried to be reasonable in debate with you, but you appear to be both unreasonable and uncivilised. I no longer say that I don't care about your drug taking. I now know you have no respect for Thai law, Thailand or its people and I actually hope you get caught and punished with the full weight of the law on your shoulders.

nonono there watso, that is where you are wrong. How you can make assumptions about what I have done with my life and how I treat this country is again another proof of your ignorance and nnarrow minded ways. I have a great respect for this country and it's people, if I did not I would not live here. I can speak the local language, I pretty much only associate with Thai people these days as it is, and I don't go around getting drunk causing mayhem like some foreigners do. I lead a quiet life, a very quiet life actually come to think of it.

Ahh now I understand, this all stems from your dad being a drug abuser, see that word, abuser. It means he did not understand moderation like you do not with alcohol. Moderation is the key. And yes people who sell drugs are either desperate and or generally bad people. However nobody is 100% bad and nobody is 100% good, that is just not how things work.

As for what I have done or will do before I hit the big five zero, well been to university and graduated, traveled quite a lot of the world, gone up a few smallish mountains, setup a small business and have learnt a second language. I am around half your age so I still have a way to go yet, I will get back to you when I am 51, if you are still alive... 51 is pretty old to be honest, getting on a bit.

In life we make our decisions and we receive the consequences of those decisions, I can keep myself out of trouble and weed is only weed, it is a very minor part of my life. It is also something that more people than you would expect indulge in around the world, yet due to stigma will not admit it. I am an open book and for that make myself vulnerable to people like you and their pointless ramblings, but keep rambling because I am enjoying this and it is making a day whilst being ill somewhat amusing.

Edited by Tom420

nonono there watso, that is where you are wrong. How you can make assumptions about what I have done with my life and how I treat this country is again another proof of your ignorance and nnarrow minded ways. I have a great respect for this country and it's people, if I did not I would not live here. I can speak the local language, I pretty much only associate with Thai people these days as it is, and I don't go around getting drunk causing mayhem like some foreigners do. I lead a quiet life, a very quiet life actually come to think of it.

Ahh now I understand, this all stems from your dad being a drug abuser, see that word, abuser. It means he did not understand moderation like you do not with alcohol. Moderation is the key. And yes people who sell drugs are either desperate and or generally bad people. However nobody is 100% bad and nobody is 100% good, that is just not how things work.

As for what I have done or will do before I hit the big five zero, well been to university and graduated, traveled quite a lot of the world, gone up a few smallish mountains, setup a small business and have learnt a second language. I am around half your age so I still have a way to go yet, I will get back to you when I am 51, if you are still alive... 51 is pretty old to be honest, getting on a bit.

In life we make our decisions and we receive the consequences of those decisions, I can keep myself out of trouble and weed is only weed, it is a very minor part of my life. It is also something that more people than you would expect indulge in around the world, yet due to stigma will not admit it. I am an open book and for that make myself vulnerable to people like you and their pointless ramblings, but keep rambling because I am enjoying this and it is making a day whilst being ill somewhat amusing.

Glad you enjoy the banter and opening up a little bit.

For the record my dad caught the scumbag in the act of trying to steal tools from my dads shed.

Have a good life and if you spend time doing bird before you reach 51, then have a think. For that matter, think how you feel when you are 51 compared to now. I know I feel a little embarrassed about some of the things I did at your age. Bye for now.

Oops, one more thing. If you can get hold of some grass, have a good chew on it, apparantly it has so many medicinal benefits it may help you through your poorlies.

Edited by watso63

It was your use of the word "nothing but" that led me to use the phrase "very sweeping generalization". I countered by saying that the illegal drug trade also brings a lot of enjoyment to those who choose to consume them.

I never dismissed the existence of the criminal and violent elements of the illegal drug trade. Legalization can help to eradicate those elements, just as legalization of ethanol did.

OK, "nothing" was a bad choice, fair enough. I can see a legalise cannabis argument. I think it would be a big step for Thailand, but never say never. I also understand that most of my childhood heroes, film, music etc have been off their heads on who knows what for a big part of their lives. But doing something illegal in the west generally has less impact than in the developing world. Well there you go, I ignorantly thought dope use screwed up Bob Marley. Checked up and seems he died of cancer caused initially to a big toe injury and mastising throughout his body. Not scared to admit being wrong.

Edited by watso63

Actually you may find the price has gone up a little. Read today's news item about inflation. Weed sells for around 11000 per half kilo block. But you don't consider this as being the 'Street' price. Normally it is usually supplied to the end user in 1300 baht blocks. This price is up from about 900 baht ten years ago. The weed is usually grown in and shipped from Laos. it is not Thai and certainly NOT Thai Buddha.

back in my young days here, Thai Buddha was considered to be the 'Primo' of weed. At least in the Western Hemisphere. Certain people made their fortunes in Australia by illegally importing Thai Buddha Sticks, by the container load in fact, and at one time, prior to hydroponics, in the 1980s, it was dearer per ounce than what gold was.

In the 70's during the VN War R&R period it was everywhere, Buddha Sticks about 6-8 inches long, as thick as your index finger were approx 15 + - baht per stick. During this era too, one could always buy 'ready made' joints in (Krong Thip/Falling Rain) packs of 20 - on the street in Bangkok, for between 100-200 baht.

I remember coming alongside the wharf at the US Navy Base at Sattahip in the early 70's. The line handlers on the wharf were local thais. Whilst we were doubling up and securing the berthing lines one of the Thai Wharfies was trying to sell us ganja. Before we even had the brow across! As for Khlong Toei, Petchburi Road, that was being right in the thick of it. it was the 2nd thing you were offered when getting into a cab.

Alas, you young blokes will never see a 'Primo' Thai Buddha Stick. They haven't existed for decades. What you are getting now is not the famous Thai Ganja but a much inferior product from Laos where it is full of stalks and seeds and the THC content is very low. Your average Australian teenager today would have to smoke half a pound of it to get same buzz as half a joint would with the hi-tech hydro super dope they are growing in their sheds and wardrobes today.

the Corby's were taking the Australian Hydro to Bali. making a killing.