Brunei announces May 1 start of Sharia law implementation

webfact

Why are so called advanced humans regressing back to the stone age???..... Brunei just made itself off limits to tourism.

Brunei does not need tourists. as simple as that.

Maybe not, but that doesn't answer the question.

Yermanee wai.gif

the question might be relevant if asked by a Brunei citizen. a foreigner has no right to question the laws of a sovereign country. allowed is of course that he bitches about it if that reduces his general frustration or relieving his boredom for a couple of minutes tongue.png

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the question might be relevant if asked by a Brunei citizen. a foreigner has no right to question the laws of a sovereign country. allowed is of course that he bitches about it if that reduces his general frustration or relieving his boredom for a couple of minutes tongue.png

Try telling that to the muslims in Europe, I'm sure you'll find a captive audience.

Yermanee

I'm sure those muslims, like it or not (I personally don't), being citizens, refugees or whatever else legal status they have, have the rights to question.

Here is another country who going back to the dark ages instead of forward, lots of money

can't buy wisdom after all...

Don't believe that anybody ever said that it could; but they just confirmed this.

Yet another 'civilised' country, determined to charge into reverse, but I suppose that if some 'natural' disaster struck in Brunei we'd all go running to help, like the stupid idiots that we are!

Not me, i don't even help good causes,let alone bad ones

Why are so called advanced humans regressing back to the stone age???..... Brunei just made itself off limits to tourism.

You think That Brunei needs touris

In fact it might well see an increase of quality, Sharia tourists. No c

Little girl; "Mommy, why does that boy have no hands?"

Mom: "he got caught stealing, twice. Once for a mobile phone and once for a sweet bun."

Wrong. The sequence for successive offences is right hand, left foot, head.

I believe under Sharia law that a woman who is raped will be flogged or imprisoned for adultery or premarital sex. According to the Qu ran there must be 4 male witnesses to testify against a man for the woman to be found innocent. So that means that a rapist only has to avoid having 4 other men watching the act for there ever to be any repercussions on the man. So no real chance of the man getting into any trouble at all.

A woman's testimony is worth half a mans in Sharia Law so basically women have almost no protection against this. Also, there is no such thing as a man raping his wife under Sharia law as a woman must make herself available whenever a man wants to have sex,, whether he forces it or not is irrelevant.

i know that Western cultures laws are based a lot of Chrisitianity (even if people don't realize it) and that every country has the right to implement laws under the religious guidlines of the majority,,, but this sounds frighteningly like a step back to the dark ages to me.

• Like 1

One country at the time...immigrate...grown in numbers...take over the country...today Brunei...tomorrow the world...Allah would be so proud...Bless his holy name...

FYI: their new stoning to death Sharia law ALSO applies to gay people:

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei, April 16 (UPI) -- Brunei is about to pass a penal code that would allow people to be stoned to death for having gay sex.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/04/16/Brunei-about-to-legalize-stoning-for-gay-sex/6601397673459/#ixzz30SByObGp

Edited by Jingthing

Here is another country who going back to the dark ages instead of forward, lots of money

can't buy wisdom after all...

Don't believe that anybody ever said that it could; but they just confirmed this.

Yet another 'civilised' country, determined to charge into reverse, but I suppose that if some 'natural' disaster struck in Brunei we'd all go running to help, like the stupid idiots that we are!

Sure. That's because the citizens, who will be victims of the disaster, will need humanitarian assistance.

Please do google for the difference of a disaster and and catastrophe, and the purpose of humanitarian assistance before making statements like that.

You may not agree with the politics of a government, but when disaster strikes, the citizens are affected, and that's a whole different ballgame.

• Like 1

It wouldn't have pricked my conscious if the guy that burgled my house had his hand chopped off

I am sorry to hear about the state of ethics in your country which prompts you to post this.

I wouldn't want to live there. Is that some least-developed country somewhere in Africa?

I sincerely hope there is hope for the future.

Its good that the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. It makes some people look bright. . . Until they open their mouths. Brunei in reverse. Yes crimes deserve punishment. The punishment should not be irreversible it discards any possibility of redemption. Plus: when later it turns out someone was innocent. Put the arm or hand back on? Stupid stuff.

I totally agree. Did you know that some barbaric countries still have the death penalty?

Barbaric bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif

True. In a country I wouldn't mention (the US), they even sanction killing people by court order. Truly barbaric.

I don't support the death penalty but there are degrees of barbarism and your implication of some kind of equivalence is specioius. Death by stoning that takes a long time (and your body buried in the ground with your head sticking out ... imagine being the target) now that's EXTREME barbarity. Also the "crimes" that invite that, adultery, homosexuality compared to in the U.S. usually brutal murders or mass murders.

You don't support the death penalty, but you make a difference how it is applied?

Killing people by court order is barbarity, period. Nothing a developed country with any self-respect can entertain.

• Like 2

Barbaric bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif

True. In a country I wouldn't mention (the US), they even sanction killing people by court order. Truly barbaric.

I don't support the death penalty but there are degrees of barbarism and your implication of some kind of equivalence is specioius. Death by stoning that takes a long time (and your body buried in the ground with your head sticking out ... imagine being the target) now that's EXTREME barbarity. Also the "crimes" that invite that, adultery, homosexuality compared to in the U.S. usually brutal murders or mass murders.

You don't support the death penalty, but you make a difference how it is applied?

Killing people by court order is barbarity, period. Nothing a developed country with any self-respect can entertain.

No not exactly period. Read my post again.

I suggest watching this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1277737

Then you might understand a little bit. Hope springs eternal.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei, April 16 (UPI) -- Brunei is about to pass a penal code that would allow people to be stoned to death for having gay sex.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/04/16/Brunei-about-to-legalize-stoning-for-gay-sex/6601397673459/#ixzz30SByObGp

So do you think Westerners for the most part, and even gay ones will care that much, or do you suspect they will hide behind the usual 'When in Rome' argument, as this does not apply to themselves?

I would like to think that Western gays would be less cynical than you are, Steely Dan. I don't think that too many gays will take their holiday in Brunei to begin with, but I am pretty sure even fewer will take it to attend a public stoning of a gay person. I know a few Western homophobes who might go to a public stoning and think it's great fun, but had better mind their manners since they are usually violating some other part of Sharia.

• Like 2

So do you think Westerners for the most part, and even gay ones will care that much, or do you suspect they will hide behind the usual 'When in Rome' argument, as this does not apply to themselves?

Actually the western gay community have taken a very vocal stand on this, calling for a boycott of the hotel chains owned by the sultan. See my post 14. Google Brunei sultan hotel gay boycott. I fully support this stand but it does beg the question why boycott's of saudi owned business interests have not been forth coming.

• Like 1

What a shame. Having spent time working there I got to see how relatively cool, laid back and friendly the locals were, especially when compared with certain other places that follow this religion. There was very little crime (though certain repression through the religious and 'secret' police) but the people adore Sulty for all that he has done for them so this is just sad all round and a huge step back for Brunei.

Perhaps more to do with the wealth aspect and the oil running dry... as someone else mentioned---family have squandered vast amounts of said wealth (namely Jefri), perhaps a wake-up call for them.

• Like 2

I'd like to see the death penalty for those carrying out stoning, limb mutilation and excessive flogging.

It's barbaric and it's carried out by worthless scum, who the world would be better off without.