Bob Dylan 'Like a Rolling Stone' lyrics to go on sale

webfact

Bob Dylan Like a Rolling Stone lyrics to go on sale

(BBC) Bob Dylan's original hand-written lyrics for his ground-breaking song Like a Rolling Stone are to be sold at auction in New York in June.

Experts at Sotheby's have described the manuscript as "the most significant piece of rock material to appear at auction."

Dylan wrote the song in pencil on four small sheets of hotel stationery in 1965. The manuscript features corrections, revisions and additions.

Sotheby's say bids could reach £1m.

Notes attached to the lyrics relate to the singer/songwriter's life at the time, with a reference to a club appearance by the American musician Joan Baez.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27229983

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-05-01

I wonder who is selling? Surely Bob doesn't need a few bucks?

It's being sold by a "Californian friend and business associate of Dylan, who bought it from the singer three years ago", according to the original BBC article.

There were many nights spent in a haze of cannabis, while we discussed the "meanings" hidden in his songs. Years late, when the fog cleared out, I realized that Bob was a poet who put music to his poems. No "deep meaning" in most of his work. And I enjoyed listening anew. And still do

What I'll always remember is in late 1969 Rolling Stone magazine published the first Dylan interview since the accident.

When asked to elaborate or clarify certain lyrics, he would say something like "did I write that? I don't recall it."

After that I've always thought of him as a conman of sorts. He should keep his lyric sheets so he can remember what he wrote.

As far as I'm concerned his last album was "Blonde on Blonde." I may not think much of him these days, but he'll always be the guy who wrote:

The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face...

Like a Rolling Stone by You Know Who

Once upon a time, you dressed so fine

You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?

People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall"

You thought they were all kiddin' you

You used to laugh about

Everybody that was hangin' out

Now you don't talk so loud, now you don't seem so proud

About havin' to be scrounging around for your next meal

How does it feel, how does it feel?

To be without a home

Like a complete unknown

Like a rolling stone?

You've gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely

But you know you only used to get juiced in it

And nobody has ever taught you how to live out on the street

And now you find out you're gonna have to get used to it

You said you'd never compromise

With the mystery tramp, but now you realize

He's not selling any alibis, as you stare into the vacuum of his eyes

And say, " Do you want to make a deal?"

To be on your own

With no direction home, like a complete unknown

Like a rolling stone?

You never turned around to see the frowns

On the jugglers and the clowns

When they all come down and do tricks for you

You never understood that it ain't no good

You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you

Used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat

Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat

Ain't it hard when you discover that

He really wasn't where it's at

After he took from you everything he could steal

To be on your own

Like a rolling stone?

Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people

They're all drinkin', thinkin' that they got it made

Exchanging all kinds of precious gifts and things

But you'd better lift your diamond ring, you'd better pawn it, babe

You used to be so amused

At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used

Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse

When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose

You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal

To be on your own

Like a rolling stone

They don't write 'em like this no more. Thanks Bob, wherever you are.

This thread should clearly be in the General Forum, the reference to a Siamese cat clearly shows the song is Thai related,

Actually there's an interesting interpretation of its meaning, apparently it's all about a rich socialite whom Dylan was attracted to, unfortunately so were many others , one of whom was Andy Warhol, 'Napoleon in rags' and 'the diplomat'-despised by Dylan as being pretentious. She backed the wrong horse though as Warhol's fame was fleeting.

I have a request from Thaivisa music lovers, as a child of the late 60s and early 70s I'm still listening to Hendrix, the Floyd, Grateful Dead, Rory Gallagher, Gene Clark, etc.Can anyone suggest some good guitar music of the last 20 years to listen to, either acoustic or rock?

Thanks in advance.

For TV Bro Bendejo, from Bobby Z con mucho gusto:

"Visions Of Johanna"by The Man

Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're tryin' to be so quiet ?
We sit here stranded, though we're all doin our best to deny it
And Louise holds a handfull of rain, tempting you to defy it
Lights flicker from the opposite loft
In this room the heat pipes just cough
The country music station plays soft
But there's nothing really nothing to turn of
Just Louise and her lover so entwined
And these visions of Johanna that conquer my mind.

In the empty lot where the ladies play blindman's bluff with the key chain
And the all-night girls they whisper of escapades out on the D-train
We can hear the night watchman click his flashlight
Ask himself if it's him or them that's really insane
Louise she's all right she's just near
She's delicate and seems like the mirror
But she just makes it all too concise and too clear
That Johanna's not here
The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face
Where these visions of Johanna have now taken my place.

Now, little boy lost, he takes himself so seriously
He brags of his misery, he likes to live dangerously
And when bringing her name up
He speaks of a farewell kiss to me
He's sure got a lotta gall to be so useless and all
Muttering small talk at the wall while I'm in the hall
Oh, how can I explain ?
It's so hard to get on
And these visions of Johanna they kept me up past the dawn.

Inside the museums, Infinity goes up on trial
Voices echo this is what salvation must be like after a while
But Mona Lisa musta had the highway blues
You can tell by the way she smiles
See the primitive wallflower freeze
When the jelly-faced women all sneeze
Hear the one with the mustache say, "Jeeze
I can't find my knees"
Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule
But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel.

The peddler now speaks to the countess who's pretending to care for him
Saying, "Name me someone that's not a parasite and I'll go out and say a prayer for him"
But like Louise always says
"Ya can't look at much, can ya man "

As she, herself prepares for him
And Madonna, she still has not showed
We see this empty cage now corrode
Where her cape of the stage once had flowed
The fiddler, he now steps to the road
He writes ev'rything's been returned which was owed
On the back of the fish truck that loads
While my conscience explodes
The harmonicas play the skeleton keys and the rain
And these visions of Johanna are now all that remain.
This song is far superior to Like a Rolling Stone, for sure, musically and lyrically. Legend has it that far along in his illustrious career, somebody gave Bob a rhyming dictionary. Bob didn't know these existed (Allegedly). He reportedly said, "Damn, I wish I had one of these along time ago, would'a saved me so much TIME!"

I have a request from Thaivisa music lovers, as a child of the late 60s and early 70s I'm still listening to Hendrix, the Floyd, Grateful Dead, Rory Gallagher, Gene Clark, etc.Can anyone suggest some good guitar music of the last 20 years to listen to, either acoustic or rock?

Something that has happened to me on occasion is I'll be going through the television channels and I'll come across a band playing and think "wow, that guy can play the guitar!" and it will turn out to be Eric Clapton, for example. Complete disassociation for decades -- after his 'middle of the road' success I had forgotten about the great guitar player from my teenage years. This happened when I came across a Neil Young performance on the tube as well.

If you're looking for some guitar playing that is new to your ears, and your tastes are reflected in the guys you listed above, you might have some luck in revisiting 1970s stuff and looking for what you may have missed. I've been doing this with jazz, I started getting into it in the 1990s, most of the stuff I like came out when I was kid.

Roy Buchanan?

I know there's a lot of new players that have come along in the last thirty years, but I just don't know their stuff. Most of my heroes are dead, like I will be soon. I mean, who could have come along that can play flat pick better than Doc Watson? (As just one example.) For guitarists, I just got hold of the recently departed Paco de Lucia, pure flamenco stuff. Sounds like two or three guys playing. For rockabilly, I crank up Sleepy LaBeef and the all time great Carl Perkins.

Anyway, best wishes to the new guys, no reason you can't become legends too.

If I had the cash I'd be bidding on this gem,I was and still am a massive Dylan fan once traveling the globe extensively watching his shows on a nightly basis,I've clocked up 100 plus shows which is minor compared to some fans.

I had in excess of £10,000 pounds worth of bootleg material from days gone past,but alas I let it all go to make my move over here some years back.

Love him or loathe him he has had a profound effect on music over his career constantly changing and evolving not always to the fans liking,at 72 and still on the road recently touring in Japan and ending in Hawaii just last week soon to be starting in Europe again.

His hunger for continual touring is matched by very few and he plays on average nearly 100 shows a year,the man is legendary and will be remembered like Shakespeare without a doubt.

Adorning the walls of my home here in Phetchabun are the remnants of my once massive collection,now if only I could have those hand written lyrics in a frame next to these two I would be overjoyed.

post-118612-13993431312499_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Something that has happened to me on occasion is I'll be going through the television channels and I'll come across a band playing and think "wow, that guy can play the guitar!" and it will turn out to be Eric Clapton, for example. Complete disassociation for decades -- after his 'middle of the road' success I had forgotten about the great guitar player from my teenage years. This happened when I came across a Neil Young performance on the tube as well.

If you're looking for some guitar playing that is new to your ears, and your tastes are reflected in the guys you listed above, you might have some luck in revisiting 1970s stuff and looking for what you may have missed. I've been doing this with jazz, I started getting into it in the 1990s, most of the stuff I like came out when I was kid.

Roy Buchanan?

Who could ever forget this song? http://youtu.be/patqcHNXT6M

If I had the cash I'd be bidding on this gem,I was and still am a massive Dylan fan once traveling the globe extensively watching his shows on a nightly basis,I've clocked up 100 plus shows which is minor compared to some fans.

I had in excess of £10,000 pounds worth of bootleg material from days gone past,but alas I let it all go to make my move over here some years back.

Love him or loathe him he has had a profound effect on music over his career constantly changing and evolving not always to the fans liking,at 72 and still on the road recently touring in Japan and ending in Hawaii just last week soon to be starting in Europe again.

His hunger for continual touring is matched by very few and he plays on average nearly 100 shows a year,the man is legendary and will be remembered like Shakespeare without a doubt.

Adorning the walls of my home here in Phetchabun are the remnants of my once massive collection,now if only I could have those hand written lyrics in a frame next to these two I would be overjoyed.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1399343128.355409.jpg

I bet he could write a very interesting version of 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles'. wink.png

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1399343128.355409.jpg

Hey Stoney:

Why don't you write to Bob. You never know, he might scribble something back to you. There's a famous (true) story about somebody who once sent a $1000 check to Picasso, and said I love your work, but this is all I can afford. Could you do a small sketch for me. Pablo sent the check back with a pen sketch on the back of it, signed.

Went to see Bob at Santa Monica Civic Aud. in '64. He was all alone on stage for two hours, just him, his guitar (acoustic) and harmonica. He was doing mostly songs from the 3rd album, like "When the Ship Comes In." Ticket cost $5.