Flying from Thailand to UK, without credit card used to buy flight

If/when my GF gets a UK visit visa, I'll be buying her an airline ticket to get from Thailand to the UK (and back). She'll have her passport (with Visa) and an e-ticket when she goes to the airport for check-in. But what if they ask her for the credit card used to but the ticket? She won't have this since I'm buying the ticket on my card.

Thinking back to the times I've flown to Thailand from the UK, I've been asked for this a few times (always in London I seem to remember) and I know some airlines might insist on it as ID. Even if they don't, she might still need the credit card to complete the check-in (via the machine to print boarding pass).

I'd like to hear from anyone whose done this for their partners, bought their tickets on their credit card etc. How did you get on? Any problems ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all the airlines have varying rules on this, has been discussed several times before. Best to check with the airline directly to be 100%. However, if you buy the ticket from a travel agent in the UK with your card then she won't have to show anything at check-in, the ticket can still be issued as an e-ticket. Or if you use Emirates you have the option to pay by Western Union (takes about a week, I just did it).

I've been looking on the websites of a few airlines I might be buying tickets from, and so far I can't find any info on credit card ID. I'll also try calling them but I don't trust that 100%.

(several times in the past I've phoned airline customer service about various things, and been given information which was either false or different to what I encountered at the check-in desk)

I'd prefer to see something in writing.

I don't think it would be a problem for most airlines . I have booked my GF flights before although only Airasia and she's never been asked for credit card .

Emirates allows you to pay for tickets by pay pal and western union and some other vague payment methods so you should have no problem with them .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My wife tried to fly to Australia from Suvarnabhum with an e-ticket that I bought online in Australia from Thai Airways.

They insisted that she could not fly without showing the credit card that was used to buy the ticket.

Luckily she was able to borrow the cash from a friend and didn't miss her flight.

They reimbursed the cost of the e-ticket a week or two later.

I've been asked for my credit card on every flight I've had with Thai Airways over the past 2 years when I've presented an e-ticket.

No credit card - no check-in possible, apparently.

When you don't book direct at the airline like using expedia or other online booking side you don't need it. Other option is book the flight online and went to the local office and show your card and they have forms that you authorized the booking. So many options. Since credit card fraud is very common on airline tickets I can understand the airlines. Be prepared and all will go well.

I have never been asked for my credit card, but it is in same name as on ticket and passport. ON occasion when I have bought a ticket for a friend I copied my credit card, my passport and wrote on the copy that I authorized this ticket and signed it. Alway worked.

• Like 2

I was thinking about scanning/photocopying the front and back of my credit card. This is what many hotels do so it might be enough. But I'd prefer if the airline in question didn't have this policy on credit card ID. I won't be using Thai Airways or British Airways (I've been credit card checked on both of those before). It will likely be one (or a combination) of KLM, Air France, and China Airlines.

i had a post with the exact same question and the answer was:

if u bought directly from an airline, they could/would ask for the actual credit card (and indeed the booking i did for me bangkok air stated i must have the credit card)

for hubby, fortunatley i booked thru an agent which in retrospect was the proper thing to do, howver air uzbakestan didnt ask my husband anything at all when we check him in at ben gurion airport in tlv... she barely looked up to see who we were.

i booked by own flight with kayak and was told here that that is like a booking agent so no problem... but my duaghter in the states who arrived here just told be that she had the same thing happen to her, booked with an airline direct and didnt have the credit card with her (my mother paid) so was stuck... in end worked out but was charged cash and reimbursed...

I fly as an air courier with my tickets always purchased by a 3rd party online. More often than not I will be asked for a back-up credit card at check in with enough credit to cover the flight cost. Cash is also acceptable. I should point out, with some airlines, this occurs only when the ticket was purchased within 72 hours of departure but some go outside of that time frame.

You can however go to an official ticket office of the airline involved in the UK and show them the credit card used along with her itinerary and your personal identification. They can then fax a copy of the card and a release form to Bangkok and she will be all set.

The fly in the ointment is on several occasions, when this has been done more than a few days in advance, the copy can not be found in Bangkok and they will steadfastly deny having received it. It is imperative you do this as close to her departure date as you can to minimize the chance of loss but more importantly, get the name of the person you deal with in the UK so when they start denying in BKK, you have a name to give them and the phone extension as well.

Usually, after ten or fifteen minutes more, the check-in agent will get a call and everything will suddenly be OK

Tell her don't wait for somebody to come out and apologize for not noting the release on her booking or for the inconvenience just caused her....they don't like people who point out their errors..

Edited by dddave

TG and SQ always ask to see the credit card used to buy the ticket on line with them. With SQ you can do an authorisation on line if you buy for someone else. I have not tried this with TG. If you are not using these airlines then check with the airline concerned.

I always buy my tickets online (usually UK sites) and I always use my UK credit card and I always get e-tickets. No one has ever asked to see my card but of course the name on the card used has always been my name anyway. Maybe they are aware of this at the airport and so see no need to check.

I've noticed that some ticketing sites have an option for specifying that the card holder will not be travelling.

• Like 1

I fly as an air courier with my tickets always purchased by a 3rd party online. More often than not I will be asked for a back-up credit card at check in with enough credit to cover the flight cost. Cash is also acceptable. I should point out, with some airlines, this occurs only when the ticket was purchased within 72 hours of departure but some go outside of that time frame.

You can however go to an official ticket office of the airline involved in the UK and show them the credit card used along with her itinerary and your personal identification. They can then fax a copy of the card and a release form to Bangkok and she will be all set.

The fly in the ointment is on several occasions, when this has been done more than a few days in advance, the copy can not be found in Bangkok and they will steadfastly deny having received it. It is imperative you do this as close to her departure date as you can to minimize the chance of loss but more importantly, get the name of the person you deal with in the UK so when they start denying in BKK, you have a name to give them and the phone extension as well.

Usually, after ten or fifteen minutes more, the check-in agent will get a call and everything will suddenly be OK

Tell her don't wait for somebody to come out and apologize for not noting the release on her booking or for the inconvenience just caused her....they don't like people who point out their errors..

I don't quite understand the "backup card" requirement.

I had a 700 km round trip to take my card to EVA Air offices in Bangkok because I had paid for my daughters' fares from UK to BKK.

I paid 5 months ago and by the time the flight gets here it will be more than 6 months since payment (ie I am time-barred from challenging the payment)............... a total waste of time.

I also made sure I received an acknowledgement and have sent a copy for my daughters to present at check in.

If there is a possibility of not having the credit card, simplest way to get the ticket is to go to a travel agent and have them issue the ticket. I understand that booking on line is easy however this does limit the hassle at check in.

If I buy my missus an airline ticket to Australia on Thai airways I have to go into their office in Sydney and show my credit card. They take the details and enter some info into their booking system then she doesn't have to show the credit card that was used to purchase the ticket. Now she has her own CC and uses it to purchase a ticket and I send her the money.

• Like 1

I always buy my tickets online (usually UK sites) and I always use my UK credit card and I always get e-tickets. No one has ever asked to see my card but of course the name on the card used has always been my name anyway. Maybe they are aware of this at the airport and so see no need to check.

I've noticed that some ticketing sites have an option for specifying that the card holder will not be travelling.

When you are traveling on your own credit card, there is no issue. The OP was was describing a situation when a traveller is flying on another persons credit card and that person is not present at check-in.

I did a similar thing last week fo G/F daughter on internal flight, booking on line. Whilst filling in booking form the question came up pasanger name, as it was different than name on the credit card I had give my phone number. I was sent a number by sms, which we had to send to her for her to show when checking in.

This must be something that comes up regularly. I am sure that airlines don.t want to turn business away?

Jb1

On Thai air and some other airlines there is a consent form that you complete. This form plus a copy of of you credit card and passport is then shown if they ask for it. The other way is to go into a Thai air office and show the credit card and ID. Done both ways for my children in the past.

We've flown United many times and they will not ask. I could be wrong but believe I read somewhere that US carriers were prohibited from requiring that the card be presented. Of course United bailed from BKK last month.

Edited by mikeSilom

Depending on how long the OP has until his girlfriend flies over, he may want to explore the many Visa and Master Card travel cards where one can have a pair of cards issued, one in the OP's name and the other in his partners name. They will have different 16-digit numbers, security codes and PIN numbers but are linked on a single account that the OP solely has online access to. He sends the partners card to a secure address in Thailand and when the time comes to make the booking, he goes online and tops up the card with the amount needed for the air ticket (plus a little extra for exchange rates). Then he goes and makes his girlfriends online air booking using HER name and HER credit card. Then she will have no issues at the airport.

I did this many years ago with my wife where we had a pair of PayPal Debit MasterCards from the US for individual use with me controlling the funds in the account. When we started traveling a lot but separately and meeting overseas, we got a pair of Caxton fx Visa credit cards from the UK which work the same way but avoid the restrictions that some carriers, car rentals and hotels have on debit card use. She mostly makes her own bookings now.

• Like 1

I was thinking about scanning/photocopying the front and back of my credit card. This is what many hotels do so it might be enough. But I'd prefer if the airline in question didn't have this policy on credit card ID. I won't be using Thai Airways or British Airways (I've been credit card checked on both of those before). It will likely be one (or a combination) of KLM, Air France, and China Airlines.

It is my understanding that it is airline dependent, so no one answer works for all airlines. And there are some that can and will refuse the passenger to board.

I often fly EVA airlines and they always ask for the CC that booked the ticket. I am always the one who purchases the ticket, so have not dealt with the issue, however, EVA does have a special form they require you to fill out, if you are purchasing the ticket for someone else and will not be traveling with the passenger.

I Googled this and saw discussion below from one poster. Of course, not everything on the internet is the truth, so take it for what it is worth.

First of all, it doesn't matter where you're flying from. What really matter is what airline you are flying with, so the short answer is: it depends.

Some airlines, in an attempt to fight frauds, may ask you to show the card and if you fail to do so they CAN refuse to embark you.

I once flew Royal Jordanian from Milano Malpensa to Amman and I was asked to show the credit card. Since I paid that flight with my father credit card, I didn't have it with me. They refused to embark me and I had to call home and make my father fax a self-certfication signed by him along with a copy of the credit card used to book the flight.

Another time I was leaving from Amsterdam to Atlanta flying Delta and I was asked the same. That time I had my credit card with me and I pass the control flawlessly.

Always read the conditions very carefully. It's always stated somewhere if they may ask you to show the card or not. If unsure, write an email or call them.

Here some examples:

Singapore airlines [click on "What happens if I don't comply with the credit card verification requirements?"]

Emirates

If the booker does not bring his or her card used for the booking at check-in for verification, then passengers on the booking will not be allowed to check in and will be asked to purchase a new ticket using a new credit/debit card. However, the ticket price will remain the same. A refund will then be manually processed for the earlier purchased ticket.

Delta [click on the credit card link]

On the Enter billing information page where the credit card details are entered, if the "Cardholder name" can be typed in, you would be able to pay for the booking even if you are not travelling. If the "Cardholder name" appears in a drop-down menu and cannot be changed, you would unfortunately not be able to pay for the booking unless you are travelling.

In some countries, for security reasons, the holder of the credit card used to book a ticket or group of tickets must be one of the travellers on that itinerary, and will be required to show the actual credit card at the airport check-in counter prior to receiving boarding passes.

Skywards members may make a redemption booking for friends and family, and pay for the applicable taxes online with their own credit cards, if the country of departure offers credit card payment.

Business Rewards administrators may also pay for their organizations members bookings by credit card, if the country of departure offers credit card payment.

Air France

To safeguard against credit/debit card fraud, the purchaser may have to show us the credit/debit card along with a valid photo ID. The time varies based on the billing address of the credit/debit card or the country of travel. If the purchaser is not traveling, they can show us their credit/debit card and ID at an airport ticket counter or another ticket office location, whichever is most convenient.

Due to increased credit card fraud problems, Air France does not accept third party payments (the credit card holder not being the passenger or part of the group traveling together). Exception: We allow payments for family members with the same surname. Please make sure the family member you book for brings the personal identifier you specified during booking to check in at the airport or to Customs and Immigration if required (this applies to e-tickets only).

British Airways

If you have booked directly with British Airways, either through ba.com or a British Airways Telephone Sales office, and you paid with your debit/ credit card you must present that debit/ credit card at check-in. This is to assist the check-in process and to provide debit/ credit card verification.

If/when my GF gets a UK visit visa, I'll be buying her an airline ticket to get from Thailand to the UK (and back). She'll have her passport (with Visa) and an e-ticket when she goes to the airport for check-in. But what if they ask her for the credit card used to but the ticket? She won't have this since I'm buying the ticket on my card.

Thinking back to the times I've flown to Thailand from the UK, I've been asked for this a few times (always in London I seem to remember) and I know some airlines might insist on it as ID. Even if they don't, she might still need the credit card to complete the check-in (via the machine to print boarding pass).

I'd like to hear from anyone whose done this for their partners, bought their tickets on their credit card etc. How did you get on? Any problems ?

unless you buy it through specific agents, (not avaliable through direct airline wevsites) by buying the ticket online you will not be able to travel without the credit card and the credit card holders

I bought Air Asia tickets on line then the card lapsed but not before my

bank in Europe had sent a new one by air courier, together with a

strong recommendation to cut the replaced card up, which I dutifully

did. But I never had any problem at check-in. It's only shady

people who get asked for extra proof of identity, how they paid, who

they eat with, who they sleep with and so on.

Go to the nearest city office of the airline you booked her ticket and from the city office you can verify the credit card and they eill put a note into the system, it works 100000000000%

As other posters have stated, it depends on the airline. Air Asia has never once asked to see my credit card, nor has Qantas when I've paid for third parties using my card. At Don Muang, Nok Air once asked for a credit card which I had lost a few weeks before, but backed down when I said I had looked on their website and found nothing stating that I had to show my credit card at check-in.

On the other hand, TG really put me through the hoops when I wanted to travel ex BKK using a ticket bought months before using the same lost card - I had to go to their office, cancel the ticket bought on the missing card, and buy a completely new ticket using a different card, fortunately at the same price. Because they saw the card at the time of purchase, I didn't have to show it again at check-in. Nowadays, if I happen to be flying TG, I go to the office before the flight, show them my credit card, ensure that gets put into the booking, and the problem is solved.

I wouldn't buy a TG ticket for a third party (such as a gf) unless TG agreed at the time of purchase that their need to sight the card had been met. I wouldn't buy it online and assume or hope that the airline will be reasonable. Online purchase is easy, but it can end up being very inconvenient.

You could also do as other posters have suggested, and use a travel agent - however, I seem to recall a complaint from someone who used a travel agent to buy a ticket on a certain asian airline with HQ to the south of BKK, and was refused travel at the airport when he could not show the credit card used to buy the ticket (an almost impossible request, of course, as the credit card belonged to the travel agent and not to him) - no amount of arguing would make them change their mind. Airlines can be very inflexible when it comes to administering rules.

Edited by dundas

suggest you ask airline their requirements

A purely pragmatic precaution would be to photocopy your ID and credit card, with middle numbers and security code obscured and a

covering letter from you. Signed as per your ID.

That should suffice.

Otherwise after you pay for the ticket, cancel this card and replace it. She will then be able to use the now functionless card purely for this ID purpose.