Do Owls have symbolic meaning

Not sure if there is any specific symbolic meaning, but it looks great.

Very impressive. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Wisdom, yes, plus Kwakwaka'wakw nation (in Canada) believe hearing an owl foretells imminent death. A good book is "I Heard the Owl Call My Name."

Where might one find a band member of this nation in Canada???

Owls are the night hunter, their feathers are so soft as to make no noise during flight. Eyes can penetrate the darkness, heads can do a 300.

That is interesting. I noticed that the eyes were following me with a turn of 180 degrees which gave them an even more memorizing touch. Nature does not do anything without a purpose, I wonder what the 300 degrees are good for. Keeping watch without moving the body while sitting on a branch? That would fit the silent feathers.

Fascinating subject

• Like 1

There night animals, Thais connect them with ghosts and bringers of bad luck.

Had one like this before, found it next to my car on the parking lot, probably fallen out of a nest. I think it's a Collared Scops Owl.

Amazing creatures, very silent and skill full flyers and rather easy to domesticate, not that they belong in the house. Mine died out of eating raw meat during the bird flue period.

In the animistic beliefs of the north, it is a harbinger of death.

Indeed. And there are other owl beliefs among Buddhists, and not just in Thailand. And none of them have any connection whatsoever to Buddhism. The Tripitaka has no position on owls, heh.

• Like 1

Depends if you've seen "The Fourth Kind" with Milla Jovovich. I've seen and laughed at some scary movies in my time but I didn't sleep properly for a week after this. Supposedly based on a true story.

It's not an owl.

SDM

This one's ok but the grey owl found in the garden is considered a harbinger of death in Thailand and should be frightened away. We had one sitting in a tree about 40m from the house last Friday and the tree next to it was zapped by lightning. The owl flew off but the tree caught fire. The next day the monks came and blessed the area - true. The tree had to be cut down - a very old and tall sugar palm.

This one's ok but the grey owl found in the garden is considered a harbinger of death in Thailand and should be frightened away. We had one sitting in a tree about 40m from the house last Friday and the tree next to it was zapped by lightning. The owl flew off but the tree caught fire. The next day the monks came and blessed the area - true. The tree had to be cut down - a very old and tall sugar palm.

Therefore it must be true.

• Like 1

whistling.gif Old African American voodoo tradition also.

When a Owl hoots at night with a Who you must answer with your name like this, "This is me, Jim, Mister Owl".

That's because the Owl is supposed to know who will die that night because it is a creature of the night with eyes that see in the night.

I believe it is from voodoo religious beliefs brought from Africa also.

But I haven't any idea what that tradition has to do with Buddhism.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

whistling.gif Old African American voodoo tradition also.

When a Owl hoots at night with a Who you must answer with your name like this, "This is me, Jim, Mister Owl".

That's because the Owl is supposed to know who will die that night because it is a creature of the night with eyes that see in the night.

I believe it is from voodoo religious beliefs brought from Africa also.

But I haven't any idea what that tradition has to do with Buddhism.

rolleyes.gif

It has nothing to do with Buddhism any more than it does with animism it is superstition based upon fear of the dark.

Not sure about the Owl,though they are beautiful birds,personally i love them,but it gets me when people talk of Kon Thai as buddists,this is a very thin veneer,over their predominatley animist beliefs,for instanace my wife prayed too an burnt a candle next to a big fungi that has grown from a tree stump the other day,she swore smoke was coming off it ,[probably steam in the early morning],but however she did win 5000 b ,in the lotto,with which she sponsored me a can of beer,i was ecstatic as you can probably understand,a whole can of beer,i looked at the fungi again today,some one has scratched 23 into it,at least it's not 50,which i will be next month,if an owl appears and drops a fifty b,note then i shall be worried.