BMA: No more dummy surveillance cameras in Bangkok - 100.000 Baht reward if...

webfact

No more dummy surveillance cameras in capital

CCTV-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) assured Friday that by end of this year people in the capital will be safeguarded by 47,000 surveillance cameras that are functional and no more dummy cameras will be seen on the streets.

Anyone who finds a dummy or fake camera still in use can come to pick up 100,000 baht reward from the BMA, announced the deputy governor Mr Amorn Kijchawengkul at a press conference to report progress of the surveillance cameras project in Bangkok on Friday.

Mr Amorn said the BMA had plan to install 50,000 real surveillance cameras by end of the year.

So far 47,000 cameras were installed. Of all the cameras installed on Bangkok streets to safeguard the people, 40,000 of them are functional and the remainder 7,000 will be connected to the power system and are functional by end of the year.

The rest 3,000 cameras will be intelligence cameras with capability to detect unusual movement. These cameras will be installed at areas where there is high risk for crimes, and at homes of significant peoples.

He also said that from past statistics, about 300-400 people sought permission to watch the BMA CCTV in a month. Of all these requests, 70% said they could see the video footages, while the rest could not because the cameras could not fetch the objects they wanted to see either due to the flaws of the cameras or the system was not completely installed.

He said the people could seek permission to check incidents captured by surveillance cameras at the BMA camera control center, and in near future could watch from 50 district offices where the BMA is linking its camera system with to provide convenience for the people at end of the year.

The connection costs the BMA 300 million baht but would enable the people to get access to the free service more conveniently by end of the year.

He also assured that no more fake or dummy camera will be on the street once the project is fully completed, with a 100,000 baht award to be offered if anyone found a fake camera still in function.

He said the surveillance camera project is the policy of Bangkok governor M.R. Sukhumband Paribatra to ensure safety for people living in Bangkok, adding that it could help the police in tracking criminals, and to curb attempt to commit crimes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dummy-surveillance-cameras-capital/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-02

"Anyone who finds a dummy or fake camera still in use can come to pick up 100,000 baht reward from the BMA, announced the deputy governor Mr Amorn Kijchawengkul at a press conference to report progress of the surveillance cameras project in Bangkok on Friday."

But dummy cameras aren't in use, by definition, are they ? whistling.gif So the money is safe, then ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

it is known, that the "real" cameras in the south of thailand (in the area with a threat of terrorism) were a fake (substandard) ones.

the affair came to light, when the company responsible for installing those cameras started to destroy them (by burning) in an organised way, as to cover up their scam.

interesting to know on what scale the same procedure is done in bkk.

I have seen cameras in bkk in completely useless places, pointing at unused footpaths, fields, walls, so the whole system lacks credibility

it is known, that the "real" cameras in the south of thailand (in the area with a threat of terrorism) were a fake (substandard) ones.

the affair came to light, when the company responsible for installing those cameras started to destroy them (by burning) in an organised way, as to cover up their scam.

I have seen cameras in bkk in completely useless places, pointing at unused footpaths, fields, walls, so the whole system lacks credibility

If that’s the case, why has the company managing directors not been charged with pre-meditated murder and if an official received a kick-back was involved so must he. If that happened in China the death sentence would be applied for seriously endangering the lives of its citizens.

• Like 2

I remember that story well, as it was a classic look at how Thailand operates.

When the company got caught with its pants down by using phony cameras,

instead of profusely apologizing, they burned up the phony cameras and blamed

the fires on the other bidder who lost the bid. Sometimes I swear you could

not make this stuff up...... :-) No wonder farangs have so much trouble

understanding Thainess....

• Like 2

If that’s the case, why has the company managing directors not been charged with pre-meditated murder and if an official received a kick-back was involved so must he. If that happened in China the death sentence would be applied for seriously endangering the lives of its citizens.

We are not in China...... I suspect money was slipped under the table, and the entire story

has done the classic Thai fade away.

wut? w00t.gif

What a sick joke, the contribution to crime solving in the UK, the most densely CCTV camera populated place on earth is near zilch. But they are good for making the sheep fearful of government:)

Edited by noodle
  • Like 2

Come on,really, you can not be that naive, this is Thailand we are talking about.

Good point, but this ain't China.

But I do agree with you 100%...

Cameras don't really stop crime they record them. I can't imagine a miniature policeman in every camera.

And neither do police.

But if someone is apprehended and charged and incarcerated due to a camera, I like to think that reduces crime.

They say it helps to reduce crime, maybe it does, I don't know.

But I don't like being filmed where ever I go, makes me feel uncomfortable. Must be a better way to control crime then a camera in Each street corner.

Mr Amorn said the BMA had plan to install 50,000 real surveillance cameras by end of the year.

He forgot to mention: ​Unfortunately it will take another 3 years to replace the 20 dummies watching the footage.

The PDRC put bags over the CCTV cameras or otherwise disconnected or obscured then wherever they demonstrated. The BMA did nothing to prevent it or rectify the situation.

The BMA installed cameras in our Moo Bahn and after we had someone damage our car outside our house we asked the BMA to check the CCTV recording. We found out then that they had not been connected to the power supply by the MEA. After I complained and the power supply was connected, our car was damaged again and several householders had shoes and clothing stolen from outside their houses. I then found that the camera pointing at our house had been deliberately obscured by workers at the factory on our soi because the camera was also pointing towards where they were carrying out cock fighting. Eventually I managed to get the BMA to un-obscure the cameras and set up the CCTV recording properly. I also got the BMA to teach the residents committee the procedure to be followed if they wish to check the CCTV recording to catch the thieves or people damaging cars. Prior to that they had been given totally wrong information as to what to do to check the recording. After that we caught some thieves stealing shoes and clothes from outside resident's houses by going to the BMA Pravet office.

The CCTV project is a nice little earner for the Democrat led BMA and I do not think they care whether it works or not. A bit like the Democrats Sky Walk Project between BTA Siam and BTS Baring. It's always about the benefit not whether it works or is needed.

• Like 1

"Anyone who finds a dummy or fake camera still in use can come to pick up 100,000 baht reward from the BMA, announced the deputy governor Mr Amorn Kijchawengkul at a press conference to report progress of the surveillance cameras project in Bangkok on Friday."

But dummy cameras aren't in use, by definition, are they ? whistling.gif So the money is safe, then ! rolleyes.gif

They are being used to fool people so YES they are being used Duh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? because this is LOS Not China or the rest of the world! biggrin.png

Cameras don't really stop crime they record them. I can't imagine a miniature policeman in every camera.

No they don't stop many crimes but ,they often lead to the capture a lot of the people who commit these crimes, taking them off the streets, Surely has to be a good thing ?

That's not true. It's has been statistically shown that urban areas which have CCTV cameras installed have a substantial drop in crime. Yes, there is still some crime, but a lot less than before the cameras were installed.