Can i work in a kitchen in bangkok?

My thai partners sister is a chef in a restaurant in bangkok and i want to marry my partner and go and live there. Here is the question... her sister said she might be able to get me to work in her kitchen as a kitchen hand but she is not sure of the laws for me to do this. I want to know does anyone know if this would this be allowed or does it come under the situation that im taking a thai persons job because its not a degree type job???? Would it help if i married my partner?

Any feed back would be greatful.

Cheers

Illegal and you would never get a work permit as a kitchen hand. I cook in town from time to time and the police know I do but they say it's ok because I don't charge for what I cook. What they really mean is that if they get free food then they will turn a blind eye.

• Like 2

You can work in a kitchen, but you may not by law. Those jobs are reserved for Thais.

If you do not have sufficient income, savings, you'd be a fool to start as a kitchen helper.Ask your partner's sister how much sh'e making as a Chef.

I understand that you'd like to live here, but this restaurant idea doesn't work out. Not in the short, nor in the long run.

You'd always have the visa problem. If you really want to stay in Thailand legally, you could get a Non-O visa based on your marriage in Sawannakhet/ Laos.Last I've heard was without any financial proof.

Being on a holiday here and living here is completely different. You wouldn't like to work seven days a week, washing dishes, doing simple stuff for 4,000 bat or so a month.

Wish you good lick to find a better idea.

Can't imagine what the pay would be in LOS for that kind of work, pretty low I would have thought.

You'd not get a work permit but lots don't bother anyway. There is a French guy working on a noodle stall in broad daylight in china town, for example. Or at least there was when I was last in BKK

Many major hotels have Executive and Head Chefs who are foreigners, right? I am sure they must have work permits. You see their pictures in the Bangkok Post on an almost weekly basis.

Many major hotels have Executive and Head Chefs who are foreigners, right? I am sure they must have work permits. You see their pictures in the Bangkok Post on an almost weekly basis.

Yes, there are many but they are Chefs which is a highly skilled position that not only oversees the cooking and presentation but is also responsible for the menu planning and making sure the restaurant is making a profit. I just came back from visiting a Belgium Chef I know. These people are also paid at least the minimum required for a work permit. I believe it is 65,000 baht per month but I could be wrong. There are a few exceptions to this minimum salary such as teachers, journalists and missionaries unless things have changed since last I looked.

If you have the physical ability to work in a kitchen then you can.....would it be legal....No.....so therefore you "may not". sorry couldn't resist it, just trying to be clever.

Actually, it's not a bad idea as a job. I've had very responsible jobs and also worked as a kitchen porter...the latter was the happiest period of my life.

Yes, there are many but they are Chefs which is a highly skilled position that not only oversees the cooking and presentation but is also responsible for the menu planning and making sure the restaurant is making a profit. I just came back from visiting a Belgium Chef I know. These people are also paid at least the minimum required for a work permit. I believe it is 65,000 baht per month but I could be wrong. There are a few exceptions to this minimum salary such as teachers, journalists and missionaries unless things have changed since last I looked.

There is no minimum salary to get a work permit.

There is only a minimum salary requirement to get an extension of stay based upon working for a company under clause 2.1 of the police order. The minimum salary requirement varies by the area where you home country is located. For most of those from western countries it is 50k baht.

• Like 1

There is only a minimum salary requirement to get an extension of stay based upon working for a company under clause 2.1 of the police order. The minimum salary requirement varies by the area where you home country is located. For most of those from western countries it is 50k baht.

I am basing my info on the following:

From the 10 th of July 2004 , foreigners applying for non-immigrant visa extensions for employment in Thailand will have to meet an increased minimum monthly salary requirement by nationality and amount. It should be noted that this regulation applies to employees in the corporate sector (profit-making business). Employees with lower monthly salaries in other professions, such as teachers, can apply for non-immigrant visa extensions and work permits for employment in Thailand provided that the are able to provide an official letter of confirmation from a relevant government agency.

Country Previous New 1 July 2004 Canada, Japan, United States 40,000 THB 60,000 THB Europe (incl. UK) Australia 35,000 THB 50,000 THB Hong Kong, Malaysia, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan 30,000 THB 45,000 THB China, India, Indonesia, Middle East, Philippines 25,000 THB 35,000 THB Africa, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam 20,000 THB 25,000 THB Persons working for newspapers in Thailand 12,000 THB 20,000 TH

I haven't been concerned by these things for a very long time and these salaries were established 10 years ago. Have things changed because I periodically get asked about this by foreigners wanting to live and work here?

Thanks

Get the job.You will find out within a week but I would say a lot sooner.Someone at work will tell someone else in 2 days it will get back to that Thai guy who is looking for a job,see how you go,maybe everything will be ok,no one wants a job.Also have a look at your visa it might say like mine employment prohibited Good Luck.

• Like 1

I am basing my info on the following:

From the 10 th of July 2004 , foreigners applying for non-immigrant visa extensions for employment in Thailand will have to meet an increased minimum monthly salary requirement by nationality and amount. It should be noted that this regulation applies to employees in the corporate sector (profit-making business). Employees with lower monthly salaries in other professions, such as teachers, can apply for non-immigrant visa extensions and work permits for employment in Thailand provided that the are able to provide an official letter of confirmation from a relevant government agency.

Country Previous New 1 July 2004 Canada, Japan, United States 40,000 THB 60,000 THB Europe (incl. UK) Australia 35,000 THB 50,000 THB Hong Kong, Malaysia, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan 30,000 THB 45,000 THB China, India, Indonesia, Middle East, Philippines 25,000 THB 35,000 THB Africa, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam 20,000 THB 25,000 THB Persons working for newspapers in Thailand 12,000 THB 20,000 TH

I haven't been concerned by these things for a very long time and these salaries were established 10 years ago. Have things changed because I periodically get asked about this by foreigners wanting to live and work here?

Thanks

I don't know where that came from. But ii is not correct. There is no rule or regulation that sets a minimum salary for work permits.

The following is from the current police order for extensions.

Table of Income for Criteria 2.1(2) Annexed to Order No. 777/2551 of the Royal Thai Police Bureau dated November 25, 2008

Nationality Minimum Income
1. Countries in Europe (except Russia) and Australia, Canada, Japan, the United States of America
Baht 50,000 per month
2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong Baht 45,000 per month
3. Countries in Asia (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam) and South America, countries in Eastern Europe, countries in Central America, Mexico, Russia, and South Africa
Baht 35,000 per month
4. Countries in Africa (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam
Baht 25,000 per month

The preamble to the 2008 Working of Aliens Act has some wording to do with the promotion of opportunities for Thai citizens and the WP application forms now have a section for employers to complete explaining the need to hire a foreigner to do the job, rather than a Thai. You also need to submit your qualifications. There are many foreign executive chefs working legally in Thailand but they usually have impressive qualifications from their home countries and are hired for their expertise in foreign cuisines. They train Thai assistants and their presence is a positive for the Thai economy. Issuing a WP to an unqualified foreign kitchen hand who would be taking away a job opportunity from a Thai would definitely not happen.

Foreigners who start their own restaurants with Thai family members as majority shareholders can usually obtain WPs as general manager, as long as it is a real business and complies with the WP conditions, e.g. 4 Thai employees, makes a profit, pays tax etc. This is the only realistic alternative for most.

• Like 1

Why you are you even worried about the prospect? The most likely scenario is you'd end up working for a week sweating your balls off in a Thai kitchen, only to realize you put in 50 hours to make 2000 baht, and that would be the end of that job.

Off to the closest boiler room it would be for you.

Why you are you even worried about the prospect? The most likely scenario is you'd end up working for a week sweating your balls off in a Thai kitchen, only to realize you put in 50 hours to make 2000 baht, and that would be the end of that job.

I do wonder how much to OP is thinking he'd make in a job like this...I suspect he thinks Australian award wages apply in Thailand too..

I do wonder how much to OP is thinking he'd make in a job like this...I suspect he thinks Australian award wages apply in Thailand too..

He is young and in love so he probably isn't thinking at all. We've all been there.

He is young and in love so he probably isn't thinking at all. We've all been there.

He is not young and he ages fast. lol wink.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681640-is-tesol-really-a-way-of-gaining-employment-in-thailand/#entry7037765

14.11.2013 "Im 45 years of age"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691275-retire-in-bangkok-how-much-money/

23.12.2013 "I am over 50" rolleyes.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681640-is-tesol-really-a-way-of-gaining-employment-in-thailand/#entry7037765

Gee, when I read his post I thought he must be a young man of 19 to 25.

It just goes to show we should never assume these things and how stupid I can be.

• Like 1

Did he also say he was a member of the SAS now working undercover ops in Thailand? The kitchen gig was supposed to be a front.

• Like 1