Confined on my bed

Can anybody give me advise on my situation?

I am here on retirement extention.

What is the situation rgards new extention?

Iam just home after 7 months in hospital, broken back (steel supports around my spine . i willnever walk again.

Pelvis shattered hip same collapsed lung.

My thai wife has to do everything for me.

Before the grammar police start abouy my bad grammar etc, it is not easy using a computer lying on my back.

Sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you'll be able to recover as soon as possible, as i know how it is to have serious health problems here.

It worked very easy for an older German friend of mine.His wife went to the Immigration with some photographs of him lying in bed and he got his extension based on his circumstances without a problem.

Then he was on three months extensions for at least a year. All his wife had to show for another extension was photographs.

A doctor's note will be helpful, so please don't worry, think about your recovery first.

Wish you only the best from Sisaket.-wai.gif

• Like 2

Colin, so sorry to learn of your situation.

What Immigration office do you use for your extension? What nationality are you? Do you use an Income letter and/or Thai bank account to justify the Financial aspects of your retirement extension?

Has your wife (or maybe someone else) been able to keep you up-to-date with your 90-day reports? How about your visa and passport status? You're not on overstay are you? When will your current visa extension expire? How about your passport?

It is possible to obtain medical extensions given your current situation, but they're only valid for 90 days and can be a pain to obtain. It would be much easier to keep your retirement extensions alive.

I help people in situations similar to yours in Chiang Mai and have found the local Immigration officials to be very caring and helpful, especially when someone has been living in Chiang Mai for a number of years. Your wife, or a friend, should be able to handle visa maintenance on your behalf. Or, this is one area where the use of reputable visa agent can be a good investment -- if such a creature exists in your area.

Great post and good advice.Even if he would be on overstay now, his serious health condition wouldn't be a problem. But as you already pointed out, it would be much easier to just continue the retirement visa process.

If you can come up with some more details where you live and your visa status, I'd be happy to help you if I can.

Immigration officers are usually very kind and helpful in such circumstances. Isn't that a reason to contact your embassy to help you?

What's your nationality and where do you live?

What nationality are you?

I only hope that he isn't a Brit with a soon-to-expire passport in view of HMPO's recently-introduced ridiculous requirement for all British nationals living in Thailand to submit passport renewal applications in person at the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok.

• Like 1

What nationality are you?

I only hope that he isn't a Brit with a soon-to-expire passport in view of HMPO's recently-introduced ridiculous requirement for all British nationals living in Thailand to submit passport renewal applications in person at the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok.

Fortunately, he renewed until 2021 - maybe HMPO will have got their act act together by then.

• Like 2

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

But I'm puzzled a bit. Your first post (yesterday) clearly is asking for some advice about something (at first I thought it was how to get an extension when you couldn't yourself physically appear at Immigration) but your post a few minutes ago said you already got a 15-month extension in about November via assistance from the hospital lady and your wife. So what particular issue or question do you have for which you need the advice?

I am sorry I cannot give you advice on your visa extension but wanted to offer an "atta boy" and wish you good luck. I am sorry you have to deal with such injuries. I have back issues and had surgeries not nearly as severe as yours and it has been rough at times. If there is anything I can do for you I will do my best buddy. Keep your chin up and hang in there.

Hi very sorry to hear you had such a bad accident. Do you mind telling us what happened?

I can lay on my back and have a retirement extension done by a lawyer why not you?

It costs about 6,000 to 10,000 in Chiangmai.

They take care of all the details.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi very sorry to hear you had such a bad accident. Do you mind telling us what happened?
I can lay on my back and have a retirement extension done by a lawyer why not you?

There is no need for the OP to involve himself with doubtful "lawyer" scams which cost a substantial amount more than the 1900 Bht required for an extension.

• Like 2

Colin, it seems your wife has the visa issues figured out, bless her heart! It's unfortunate that KK immigration fined you for overstay, but obviously someone took pity when she went back with everything in order and they gave you a 90 day O visa, which they promptly extended for a year due to retirement -- thus the 15 month permission to stay. Now all your angel of a wife has to worry about are 90 day reports and KK may be an office that permits mail-in reporting (don't know, but I bet your wife does)

Yes, unfortunately one lesson learned here is that you can go on overstay and be expected to pay a fine even when you're in a coma.

If you ever served in the British military, the Royal British Legion could help. The welfare officers of the very active Chiang Mai subbranch could come to visit you in KK http://trblchiangmai.org/ There are also members in Korat who may be able to help.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is no need for the OP to involve himself with doubtful "lawyer" scams which cost a substantial amount more than the 1900 Bht required for an extension.

Its not a scam. They do a legal service for a fair price that would save someone in his condition allot of running around. Have you never heard of immigration lawyers? Thats what they do and its legal.

All he will get on this forum are confusing and conflicting answers but an immigration lawyer will take care of everything including the letter from the hospital.

If he can afford to live in a hospital for 7 months he obviously can afford the lawyers fee.

Edited by devaram

I was in intensive care on life support.

[snip]

My wife went to khon kaen immigration unhelp yes. fined us 20,000 baht for 35 days overstay. Gave us 30 extention.

/editorial comment/

It's unbelievable that there isn't some sort of hardship exception to the overstay fine in extreme situations like this. Profiting from a near-death incident like this is ghoulish.

Yes but they cap it at 20,000 so its not so terrible is it?

You love to hate Thailand dont you?

But its really a fair deal after all is it not?

Its not a scam. They do a legal service for a fair price that would save someone in his condition allot of running around. Have you never heard of immigration lawyers? Thats what they do and its legal.
All he will get on this forum are confusing and conflicting answers but an immigration lawyer will take care of everything including the letter from the hospital.
If he can afford to live in a hospital for 7 months he obviously can afford the lawyers fee.

Immigration lawyers ?

Are those the ones who promise a "visa" even if the financial requirements cannot be met ?

At a cost , of course !

Haven't met before, but am glad so many of your friends and your wife are succeeding in navigating the system.
I and many here share your "adventure" with the knowledge that it could happen to us.
So far I've learned that
1) pictures help
2) the doctor should call the local immigration office and see (have sent to him/her) the specific form(s), and
3) that the system is set to accommodate, once all the facts are appropriately certified.

Thanks for sharing the post.
Good luck on what the wheel chair will allow as a life.

• Like 1

A few other lessons to be learned -- if in a private hospital, tell their "customer service reps" that you are in need of visa maintenance services. Someone from the hospital could have helped Colin's wife with that first visit at Immigration and maybe avoided that 20,000 baht overstay fine. Note -- that's only if it was a private hospital. A gov't hospital probably wouldn't have been much help.

I don't know about getting a doctor involved in calling Immigration. Most wouldn't want to be bothered. I've found that the gov't hospitals think the form they use to to certify that someone has been in hospital for an patient's employer should be sufficient for Immigration and often it isn't. Someone who is more assertive should ask the local Immigration office what's need, ideally BEFORE a patient goes on overstay. It seems every office has their own local rules. Here in CM they have their own forms for medical issues, and they're not official TM forms!

Oh, a reputable visa agent can be a big help. Some people call them visa "lawyers", but none of them here in CM are really lawyers. Or maybe there is one lawyer in the firm but the people who do the real work aren't lawyers. The going rate would be 6,000 - 10,000 baht and there is nothing illegal about what they do -- not for that small a sum. For someone who has the money, it can be great piece-of-mind, especially if someone isn't fortunate enough to have a great wife like Colin obviously has.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

To answer some of the questios. My accident wason 4th ooctober last year, vis---a was ---due for renewal11th october. I was in intensive care on life support , my wife was unaware of that.

When i was able to talk to ,i said my visa hasexpired. My wife went to khon kaen immigration unhelp yes. fined us 20,000 baht for 35 days overstay. Gave us 30 extention. At 30 days my wife wen t back, bank book letter from bank, letter from kk hospital lady she sawvery helpful no problemsgot 15 month extention.

Iam british passport ok till 2021.

May i just say my wife is fantastic, stayed with me night and day in hospital for 7 months.

Mthanks forhelpful advice tv members have given me.

Congratulations on having a saint as a wife. I wish you all the best and know it could happy to anyone of use.

A few other lessons to be learned -- if in a private hospital, tell their "customer service reps" that you are in need of visa maintenance services. Someone from the hospital could have helped Colin's wife with that first visit at Immigration and maybe avoided that 20,000 baht overstay fine. Note -- that's only if it was a private hospital. A gov't hospital probably wouldn't have been much help.

I don't know about getting a doctor involved in calling Immigration. Most wouldn't want to be bothered. I've found that the gov't hospitals think the form they use to to certify that someone has been in hospital for an patient's employer should be sufficient for Immigration and often it isn't. Someone who is more assertive should ask the local Immigration office what's need, ideally BEFORE a patient goes on overstay. It seems every office has their own local rules. Here in CM they have their own forms for medical issues, and they're not official TM forms!

Oh, a reputable visa agent can be a big help. Some people call them visa "lawyers", but none of them here in CM are really lawyers. Or maybe there is one lawyer in the firm but the people who do the real work aren't lawyers. The going rate would be 6,000 - 10,000 baht and there is nothing illegal about what they do -- not for that small a sum. For someone who has the money, it can be great piece-of-mind, especially if someone isn't fortunate enough to have a great wife like Colin obviously has.

An overstay will never be forgiven by immigration. It can only be prevented by getting an extension based upon being under the care of a hospital or a doctor before the overstay occurs. Often the overstay happens because the people involved are not aware that the extension is possible.

In this case and possibly others it is that the people involved were not aware that a persons permit to stay was ending soon.

The problem with immigration occurs in the larger tourist areas where scam medical extensions are applied for with the assistance of visa agents. This causes them to be extra vigilant when the extension is applied for.

You can be sure that many hospitals will not have staff to help once you get away from areas where their is not a large number of foreigners living.

An overstay will never be forgiven by immigration. It can only be prevented by getting an extension based upon being under the care of a hospital or a doctor before the overstay occurs. Often the overstay happens because the people involved are not aware that the extension is possible.

In this case and possibly others it is that the people involved were not aware that a persons permit to stay was ending soon.

The problem with immigration occurs in the larger tourist areas where scam medical extensions are applied for with the assistance of visa agents. This causes them to be extra vigilant when the extension is applied for.

You can be sure that many hospitals will not have staff to help once you get away from areas where their is not a large number of foreigners living.

Agreed.

My wife is very aware of the immigration "rules" and keeps me on track !