Can't get default Goggle search engine off Goggle Thailand

guzzi850m2

The head line says it all and it's driving me crazy, using Chrome now after I got tired of the always crashing IE.

I changed  time zone on my desktop pc to UK, Win7 64 bit. 

I tried to set my default search engine to: www.google.com/ncr

But no.

Maybe time trying yet another Browser but which? the fox on fire? 

It's perhaps because my wife sometimes uses the pc and she clicks on TH as default language and don't use UK/US.

On chrome, open this link/setting page

chrome:  // settings/searchEngines   <- remove the spaces 

Then check that you have Google English there. Hover your mouse over it and when you see "Make it default", click it

If it's not there, add Google English with following URL:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%s
Edited by Guest

Then check that you have Google English there. Hover your mouse over it and when you see "Make it default", click it

Thanks but above a bit outside my knowledge range.

Anyway, I am just trying the latest Firefox version now so I will try that for a couple of days and see how I fell about it.

type:

google.com/ncr

That used to fix the redirection to local google home pages problem, but not the way chrome search behaves. 

It would be nice to hear if nrc does have the ability to change the settings on chrome on current versions. That would be the preferred action, but I'm not very confident it's implemented in the browser. Yet.

Thanks but when I try that I get as on the picture and ends up back to Goggle Thailand.

Are you typing it in the address bar, rather than the search engine settings on Chrome? All I had to do was type www.google.com/ncr in the browser address bar. It goes to google.com and continues to do so until or unless you delete all your cookies (in which case you can just do it again of course).

• Like 1

Thanks but when I try that I get as on the picture and ends up back to Goggle Thailand.

Are you typing it in the address bar, rather than the search engine settings on Chrome? All I had to do was type www.google.com/ncr in the browser address bar. It goes to google.com and continues to do so until or unless you delete all your cookies (in which case you can just do it again of course).

Yes sure you can do it that way but that means each time you open a new tap you will have to type that in, not very convenient as doesn't go to Goggle.com for me, sadly.

I was hoping to get a default setting where this is not necessary. On a site as YouTube you can at least set it to worldwide settings in the bottom or which country you prefer. 

Yes sure you can do it that way but that means each time you open a new tap you will have to type that in, not very convenient as doesn't go to Goggle.com for me, sadly.

I was hoping to get a default setting where this is not necessary. On a site as YouTube you can at least set it to worldwide settings in the bottom or which country you prefer. 

No it doesn't. You only have to do it the once and the info is stored in your cookies.

• Like 1

Thanks but above a bit outside my knowledge range.

Anyway, I am just trying the latest Firefox version now so I will try that for a couple of days and see how I fell about it.

If clicking on Google settings is beyond you I don't think there's much point helping you. Get your gf to fix it.

If clicking on Google settings is beyond you I don't think there's much point helping you. Get your gf to fix it.

If you look at my attachment in post no 5 then you see how stupid your post is you arrogant man (if you are a man that is).

Thanks JSixpack, I installed this app just now but I still ends at goggle/Thailand and yes it's enabled and also thanks to others that have been giving good advise. I haven't given up yet.

Well never mind, for some reason the text/page on the different web pages are much clearer on Firefox 29 than on chrome so I am having a love affair with FF right now. 

Yep. One of many solutions.

I use https://www.google.de/ for my language.

In some cases I use the search settings to find results in English or Thai only.

Never heard of "ncr" before.

Some background info:

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/873?hl=en

To quickly test the effect of cookies vs. no cookies simply use incognito mode in Chrome or private window in FF.

(both will not be influenced by cookies)

(mistyping in the topic title does not help btw.)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Long-time Firefox user myself. Crashed once today already but mai pen rai!

If you have the problem in Firefox try this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/always-com-googlecom-in-englis/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-language-en/

There's a nice list of plugins for many countries here:

http://mycroftproject.com/google-search-plugins.html

Maybe some members prefer neither Thai nor English. smile.png

Re: Chrome, I found a post recommending this:

go to, wrench menu - options - basic - default search - manage
click "Add" and then type the following

name: google US
keyword: googleus
url: http://www.google.com/search?q=%s - private

then select the one you've just made and click the "make default" button.
(If you want to use google uk or another country just substitute the .com with the .co.uk

Today I got a PM from a person that wrote an article (in a certain news paper which name we are not allowed to mention) which about exactly the same subject, that person send a link to it. Many thanks to that person.wai2.gif

I followed the article step by step and now I have my Google back, it could be the same article JSixpack is referring to.

Yes I am also only using Firefox 29 right now but still nice to have Chrome up and running if needed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My Chrome settings are google.com/ncr and until the day before yesterday it gave me Chrome in English, displaying the URL www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl, then it started giving me the GUI in Italian, still with the same URL. I suspect this is connected with the recent EU rule about the "right to forget", whereby under certain conditions Google must exclude from the search results web pages that any user living in the EU asks to be excluded. Initially, Google limited this display restriction to users who load Chrome with an URL that has the domain country code of an EU country, but they may have changed this now to users logging in via an ISP server located in the EU. A whatismyipaddress.com locates me correctly in Switzerland, ie not in an EU country, and perhaps Google bundles Switzerland with the EU, by design or by mistake, for the purpose of complying with the said EU rule.

Anyway, I did a search for a solution, found this topic, tried what seemed the easiest solution, ie www.google.com/?hl=en, and it works. Now, I'm going to change the settings in Chrome.

Interesting. The moment I pasted www.google.com/?hl=en into the field for "Open this page" under "Show Home button" in the settings, a drop-down list opened with only www.google.com/?hl=en&gws_rd=ssl for a choice. I did not select it, and now the Google Settings page shows www.google.com/?hl=en, whereas the home page shows www.google.com/?hl=en&gws_rd=ssl, but I don't mind, as it gives me the browser GUI in English, which is what I want. Problem solved, thanks to the good advice received in this topic. Thank you all.

[attachment=278037:home page.gif]

[attachment=278038:GUI en.gif]