• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

SCB internet banking registration

as part of SCB's internet banking registration, it says that you need to enter the bank card & pin, is that safe & is it wise?

The reason I ask is that everyday I see banks telling me not to do that yet SCB does, maybe its a Thai banking thing perhaps?

Bank atm card & pin it says to register; no mention of branch unless I missed something?

I would DEFINITELY worry about that and check - I seem to recall that SCB set mine up for me in the branch and I had to type my chosen Internet password into the bank employee's PC, without her looking.

I strongly advise that you go into the branch and check BEFORE you do what you think you are being told to do!

BTW..... I currently work on a contract in UK testing Card Security and have some current insight into these things... for your own good....check!!

It's normal for SCB. I also thought it was weird but I completed my registration online and have never had a problem in three years of using it.

+1.

If you're worried change your pin immediately after you register.

The banque manager did everything for me and I think that is the safest way.

I use the service daily and have never had any issues other than the site not working much of the time at the beginning but they seem to have resolved those issues.

What I don't like is they have no fail-safe to guard against paying a banking bill twice.

• Like 1

Before they used to give you 2 sealed envelopes.

Like the pin number envelopes.

Now everything is online all done on website.

I have to do my new account soon so will let you know

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's normal for SCB. I also thought it was weird but I completed my registration online and have never had a problem in three years of using it.

Same to me. Registered online. Never went to a branch for that.

Similar at Bangkok Bank but started at the ATM (entering PIN there and getting some transaction number to start with).

Also required a phone call, some details asked.

(not three years ago, only one)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Not clear from your post where you are inputting your bank card and PIN. I wouldn't be too keen on inputting the card details and PIN no. on a website or over the internet.

On the other hand, I opened an account with TMB a while back. If I remember correctly to initiate internet banking one step in the process was using my ATM card and inputting my PIN no. into the ATM machine inside the branch, which then generated a one time code sent to my phone. Just like any other ATM transaction really. Then use that code to get going on internet banking.

Similar process for an Indonesian bank account a few years back.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

If I remember correctly to initiate internet banking one step in the process was using my ATM card and inputting my PIN no. into the ATM machine inside the branch, which then generated a one time code sent to my phone.

At Bangkok Bank similar with the difference that I got a one time code printed on a slip.

Then continued at home at the PC and doing a phone call.

Its only one way of starting and described here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/ApplyviaATM.aspx

SCB bank I did completely at home. Do not remember the details.

Yes you have to enter the PIN on the encryted bank website.

The usual precaution in doing business on the internet apply (like ensuring that you are on the genuine website).

Registration for SCB starts here:

https://www.scbeasy.com/online/easynet/page/rgt/rgstatn_v2_01.aspx?LANG=en

Edited by KhunBENQ

I would go to the branch office,set it up from there

years banking with SCB for years I've never been asked for bank card & pin number

SCB is always sending out worryings little tid bits about them not asking for card number & pin on line

good way to loss all your money

Edited by happynthailand

If I remember correctly to initiate internet banking one step in the process was using my ATM card and inputting my PIN no. into the ATM machine inside the branch, which then generated a one time code sent to my phone.

At Bangkok Bank similar with the difference that I got a one time code printed on a slip.

Then continued at home at the PC and doing a phone call.

Its only one way of starting and described here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/ApplyviaATM.aspx

SCB bank I did completely at home. Do not remember the details.

Yes you have to enter the PIN on the encryted bank website.

The usual precaution in doing business on the internet apply (like ensuring that you are on the genuine website).

Registration for SCB starts here:

https://www.scbeasy.com/online/easynet/page/rgt/rgstatn_v2_01.aspx?LANG=en

Now you come to mention it, I think for TMB I also got the code on the ATM slip. I think the OTP to my phone came later. Getting old :)

Can't say I like the idea of entering my PIN on a website even if encrypted. As someone suggested I'd want to change my PIN after. Thinking about it I have the facility to change some of my ATM PIN thru ATM banking as well though never used. Best left for an emergency or one-off if no choice.

Cheers

Fletch :)