Siam To Sukhumvit?

robitusson

How are you supposed to get your vehicle Siam Square to the start of Sukhumvit road. The few times I've been down there on that single easterly lane on my bike, the police have pulled me over. Apparently it's buses and diplomatic cars only allowed, is it?

How are you supposed to know what vehicles are allowed where? You might be driving along with all the other bikes and cars and buses and next second the cops are on your back for going down a bus lane. I can read Thai (badly) but I'd be able to read a sign saying "no motorbikes" or "buses only" or something similar. I'm sick of getting pinched by the cops for what seems to be nothing.

Next time I'm gonna drive past their little white gloves waving me down. It's too expensive.

How are you supposed to get your vehicle Siam Square to the start of Sukhumvit road. The few times I've been down there on that single easterly lane on my bike, the police have pulled me over. Apparently it's buses and diplomatic cars only allowed, is it?

How are you supposed to know what vehicles are allowed where? You might be driving along with all the other bikes and cars and buses and next second the cops are on your back for going down a bus lane. I can read Thai (badly) but I'd be able to read a sign saying "no motorbikes" or "buses only" or something similar. I'm sick of getting pinched by the cops for what seems to be nothing.

Next time I'm gonna drive past their little white gloves waving me down. It's too expensive.

If you mean you are going from Siam Square to let's say - Emporium Department store over Sukhumvit Road. Then, you can't do that simply because after crossroad of "World Trade Center" the road is only One-Way. It has Red "X" sign on top.

You have to turn left and go through Phetchaburi Road one block and only after that turn right back to Sukhumvit.

Hope it helps.

Surely if you have been pulled over every time you use any section of road - anywhere in the world - you should get the message that you're doing something wrong?

Or are you one of those people who watches a Video movie over and over in the hope that the ending will be different this time around?

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Surely if you have been pulled over every time you use any section of road - anywhere in the world - you should get the message that you're doing something wrong?

Or are you one of those people who watches a Video movie over and over in the hope that the ending will be different this time around?

Patrick

I never understood why there's always some idiot who's prepared to waste their time typing a flippant answer to someones request for information on these forums.

The reason I changed paragraph in my original post, Patrick, was because I was moving on from my original specific question to a general, but related, point and further question. Y'see? You may not know this Patrick, baddy, pal, but the police in Thailand have been known to pull over Farangs for the sole reason of extracting a bribe. Understand? Or are you one of those people who posts glib and moronic responses on the internet over and over in the hope of making yourself look clever? Keep trying.

I never understood why there's always some idiot who's prepared to waste their time typing a flippant answer to someones request for information on these forums.

The reason I changed paragraph in my original post, Patrick, was because I was moving on from my original specific question to a general, but related, point and further question. Y'see? You may not know this Patrick, baddy, pal, but the police in Thailand have been known to pull over Farangs for the sole reason of extracting a bribe. Understand? Or are you one of those people who posts glib and moronic responses on the internet over and over in the hope of making yourself look clever? Keep trying.

My goodness you do get overexcited quickly don’t you old chap?

I thought my response to your first point was rather concise, it was certainly not meant to be flippant; you had difficulty understanding why you were always stopped by the Police on a specific piece of road and I merely made a suggestion as to how you might avoid a re-occurrence - something which should have been obvious to you but evidently was not.

Unfortunately my gentle attempt at humour – often useful when explaining simple concepts, particularly to children, was not appreciated.

Since I am again wasting my time in answering your elementary questions I will also address your second point: Most Bus Lanes are still clearly marked in Bangkok but rarely enforced, further, I think you are wasting your time looking for a sign in Thai which says “no motorcycles” or whatever. In common with most Countries Thailand usually uses a little picture of a motorcycle with a red line diagonally through it – not specifically designed to be understandable to children or the handicapped but a recognised International sign.

Finally, whilst I agree that Thai Policemen do sometimes accost Farang simply because they are Farang they – the Police – also have a very boring job. It’s entirely possible that those Officers who patrol your usual routes have first pulled you over simply because you are Farang, subsequent incidences would be explained by their previous experiences with you and their sense of boredom – I can easily imagine the chap thinking to himself “here comes that Farang who gets p’eed off so easily – it’s been a long day in the sun, let’s have some entertainment”.

Patrick

Thank you very much for you helpful and interesting reply to my request for info Patrick. How kind of you. (It's not so hard, is it?).

I've yet to be pulled over at the same place or by the same guy twice. The lack of signs and clear markings is a problem. The regular users just seem to know by familiarity where they can and can't go.

I usually am very polite, smiling and servile when one of Bangkok's finest accosts me but they still get their bribe anyway. I'm considering refusing next time. We'll see.

Edited by robitusson