Scotland Yard 'to dig' for Madeleine McCann

webfact

Scotland Yard police to dig at resort in Portugal where Madeleine McCann disappeared

PORTUGAL: -- THE search for missing British girl Madeleine McCann has taken a new twist with reports Scotland Yard detectives are going to Portugal to oversee digging around the resort where she went missing seven years ago.

A team of forensic officers will use radar equipment to look underground for clues to her disappearance, London’s Mirror newspaper has reported, citing police sources.

Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, have been told of the plans to search three sites near the Praia da Lux resort but are not expected to go to Portugal.

Three-year-old Madeleine went missing from her bed on May 3, 2007, during a family holiday in Portugal.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/world/scotland-yard-police-to-dig-at-resort-in-portugal-where-madeleine-mccann-disappeared/story-fndir2ev-1226905679565

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-05-05

Well its about time they started to look for a body and put this case to rest....

Actually it's not as simple as that.

Firstly, British police cannot just charge into Portugal whilst the police there are involved in an investigation. Secondly, are you forgetting that there was a massive hunt for a body which did involve a lot of digging.

It sound like over the last 7 years there may have been big advances in technology that can look underground without the need for much digging.

Lots of people have theories about this case, but the only facts that are know for sure is that the girl is missing.

Visions of our Boy's in Blue off to the Algarve with Buckets and Spades...

But more probably a joint operation to investigate "Places of Interest" identified by pre and post incident satellite images obtained from many countries and agencies world wide, plus sifting through thousands of witness reports and photos.

Probable before digging it will down to the ground penetrating radar and cadaver dogs, etc.

I always remember the parents during the news interviews just after their daughter disappeared, two intelligent and very well educated people (both doctors/surgeons) I was incredibly impressed with their composure and resolute manner, they always conducted the interviews in a positive way.

Since then they have endured years of not knowing what has happened to their child, the pain from something like this must be just about unendurable and would have a devastating effect on their relationship/lives.

On top of that they have had to listen to unsubstantiated rumor and innuendo regarding their "supposed" involvement, how they continued with life is remarkable.

I hope they receive some news to allow some sort of closure, it will never be good news but it may in some small way be welcome.

We can only hope!

• Like 2

I always remember the parents during the news interviews just after their daughter disappeared, two intelligent and very well educated people (both doctors/surgeons) I was incredibly impressed with their composure and resolute manner, they always conducted the interviews in a positive way.

Since then they have endured years of not knowing what has happened to their child, the pain from something like this must be just about unendurable and would have a devastating effect on their relationship/lives.

On top of that they have had to listen to unsubstantiated rumor and innuendo regarding their "supposed" involvement, how they continued with life is remarkable.

I hope they receive some news to allow some sort of closure, it will never be good news but it may in some small way be welcome.

We can only hope!

Those two individuals went to dinner, leaving their unsupervised children behind in their resort accommodation. Well educated? Perhaps. Intelligent? Are you serious?

Edited by Jonmarleesco
  • Like 1

Hopefully a resolution will be forthcoming although it's unlikely to be a happy one and the finger pointing will continue in any event.

I doubt these sort of "cold cases" are all the unusual even though this one is probably engendering more attention and action than all the other unsolved cases simply because of the media circus.

Of course had it happened in Thailand and not been resolved in 7 days, let alone 7 years, the Thai Visa CSI team would be filling thread after thread with speculation & accusation as well as the usual nonsensical comparisons to the superb policing skills in EuroUtopia.

Many crimes in UK are apparently "solved" by just pretending they never existed.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/444040/Police-solve-crimes-by-wiping-one-in-four-rapes-from-records

Up to one in four rape and other sexual crimes go unrecorded, while burglaries disappear in a “puff of smoke”, said Scotland Yard crime analyst PC James Patrick.

Other officers backed up his claims at the hearing, calling the practice ­“institutional corruption”.

Sir Bernard Jenkin, chairman of the Commons Public Administration Committee, said he was “shocked” at the revelations.

He said: “What we have heard is basically how there is a system of incentives in the police that has become inherently corrupting and I think that is a very shocking thing to hear.

I can't get over parents going off for drinks and dinner with friends and leaving 3 very small children alone. As the crow flies they weren't far away but had to walk quite a way to get back to their lodging. I feel sorry for them, but at the same time rather indignant about their behaviour.

• Like 2

I feel really sorry for one person...Madelaine. I get sick to my back teeth whenever I see or hear Gerry and Kate whining on about how it's all the fault of the Portuguese police etc. No Gerry and Kate, it is your fault. You took your 2 very young children on holiday to a strange place and are guilty of neglecting them so you could have a nice night out. How hard would it have been to have taken them with you and let them sleep in their buggies, or would they have spoilt your fun???

The British press have hounded and harrassed many lower working class people over the years for similar stories, but for some reason the McCann's are untouchable. They should have been prosecuted, charged and punished for their neglect. Most people that are punished for their crimes are "sorry for their errors of judgement". However in this case it just so happens that poor little Madelaine is the one that suffered. here.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We can only hope!

Those two individuals went to dinner, leaving their unsupervised children behind in their resort accommodation. Well educated? Perhaps. Intelligent? Are you serious?

Yes I was serious, don't forget this sad event happened several years ago and the attitudes of parents (especially when abroad) has changed since then. You talk as if they left their kids and traveled a substantial distance for their meal, that was not the case with them being literally meter's from their rooms. With the obvious benefit of hindsight would they do the same if they had a second chance? of course not as they are now painfully aware that it's not only a child waking up or needing a drink that that may be an issue, that there are predators waiting for a parent to drop their guard even if only for a second.

They were guilty of what countless other parents have done for years, before these sick and evil predators became all to common, they put their young kids to bed so they could have a normal nights sleep. They then sat with friends only meter's away to enjoy an adult meal with friends before going back to their rooms and children.

While I respect your opinion on what happened I believe the McCann's were not negligent or irresponsible in what they did, children have been taken from swing parks, from the front gardens of homes, from outside shops with the parents only meter's away paying for shopping. The sad fact is that which one of us stays beside our children every minute of their waking day? We are more aware now of the dangers lurking, but unfortunately that is very much down to the tragic experiences of the McCann's and other families like them.

Again I will say that then, when in a quality resort that was well staffed and (as they thought) secure, many people did exactly the same with their children.

We can only hope!

Yes I was serious, don't forget this sad event happened several years ago and the attitudes of parents (especially when abroad) has changed since then. You talk as if they left their kids and traveled a substantial distance for their meal, that was not the case with them being literally meter's from their rooms. With the obvious benefit of hindsight would they do the same if they had a second chance? of course not as they are now painfully aware that it's not only a child waking up or needing a drink that that may be an issue, that there are predators waiting for a parent to drop their guard even if only for a second.

They were guilty of what countless other parents have done for years, before these sick and evil predators became all to common, they put their young kids to bed so they could have a normal nights sleep. They then sat with friends only meter's away to enjoy an adult meal with friends before going back to their rooms and children.

While I respect your opinion on what happened I believe the McCann's were not negligent or irresponsible in what they did, children have been taken from swing parks, from the front gardens of homes, from outside shops with the parents only meter's away paying for shopping. The sad fact is that which one of us stays beside our children every minute of their waking day? We are more aware now of the dangers lurking, but unfortunately that is very much down to the tragic experiences of the McCann's and other families like them.

Again I will say that then, when in a quality resort that was well staffed and (as they thought) secure, many people did exactly the same with their children.

I understand your point of view...mainly, that lots of people did it and got away with it but they were not only lucky, but stupid also. Whenever my son went anywhere with me as a young child, I made sure he was always looked after and never left alone. I feel for them because it is a tragedy, but they should still have to be held account for their neglect.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app